Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 108

Author Topic: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Game Over  (Read 199936 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 1
« Reply #255 on: April 11, 2013, 11:31:02 am »

We have about four god claims.  Should there be a god massclaim?  I'm unsure.  I'm getting visions of Dethy where everyone is claiming intel, we have something to manipulate, and we try to work out who's telling the truth objectively.

Ford:  Reaction tests lose their utility if you explain the situation to the recipient.  Compare it to Solifuge:

So Solifuge, what'd you do to your candle?

It's clearly the power of love~

But seriously, I don't know. I think some used a role-power on me.

Theory: It's a lynch-blocking ability. Suppose we shall see.

I said he did it, no notice, and he shrugged and offered a theory.

When I do it to you, you get bitter.  See the difference?

I think the issue is you expect everyone to be engaged in your theory.  Problem is that there are so many theories that many get washed and passed over.  Only Tiruin responded to mine, and I'm not getting worked up over it.  You can put a proposal out, sure, but you can't expect people to drop everything and focus on it.  Additionally, puzzle theorycraft cannot be done in exclusion to scumhunting.  It's still Mafia, so there's still an informed minority out there who are Bad People.

With regards to your points, most of them I would respond to by pointing out my own theory again.  As far as candle balancing, I doubt it, because that would run fairly counter to any "lynch" that snuffing the white candle brings.  The fact that there are two votes seems logical to me- one for "lynching" and one for screwing with candles, except the option is there to do one twice instead one of each.  Most of the rest are just theories until we see if someone can be indeed "lynched"- or "unlynched."

PPE:  If angry=scum, then Dariush would hang D1 of every game.  It's a comparative matter, and only one trick in the book.

But I'm not a professional conman. I get righteous anger when I'm being treated unfairly, which has nothing to do with alignment. When I'm playing scum, I work harder to control my reactions. In that context, a angry reaction doesn't make sense because I would work to hold that in, whereas as town I wouldn't.

Well, to be fair, you just said that you react differently as scum.  Doesn't that make it a valid tactic?

Spoiler: OOC on AS (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 11, 2013, 12:06:37 pm »

When I do it to you, you get bitter.  See the difference?
I'm not saying probing for reactions is wrong. I'm saying that the idea of a test can be "failed" is wrong. Solifuge and I weren't in the same position, in the game or in real life. I also provided context by pointing to past instances where I reacted similarly.

Vector stating I'd failed was meant to antagonize me. Presumably to get a better read.

I think the issue is you expect everyone to be engaged in your theory.  Problem is that there are so many theories that many get washed and passed over.  Only Tiruin responded to mine, and I'm not getting worked up over it.  You can put a proposal out, sure, but you can't expect people to drop everything and focus on it.  Additionally, puzzle theorycraft cannot be done in exclusion to scumhunting.  It's still Mafia, so there's still an informed minority out there who are Bad People.
I agree with everything you just said. My anger was not entirely appropriate or rational. Such things rarely are. I apologize again.

...god the wind is loud.

With regards to your points, most of them I would respond to by pointing out my own theory again.  As far as candle balancing, I doubt it, because that would run fairly counter to any "lynch" that snuffing the white candle brings.  The fact that there are two votes seems logical to me- one for "lynching" and one for screwing with candles, except the option is there to do one twice instead one of each.  Most of the rest are just theories until we see if someone can be indeed "lynched"- or "unlynched."

Spoiler: OOC on AS (click to show/hide)
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17:23 pm »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Snuff Captain Ford White: Toaster, Vector
Light Dariush Teal: Dariush
Snuff RangerCado White: Tiruin
Light Remuthra Teal: Nerjin, Remuthra, Solifuge
Snuff Solifuge White: Nerjin, notquitethere, Okami No Rei, Onyxjew944, Ottofar, Solifuge
Snuff Tiruin White: Dariush, Tiruin
Light Vector Green: notquitethere, Okami No Rei, Ottofar, Toaster, Vector

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Today (about 7 hours). There are 4 votes to Shorten the day and 1 vote to Extend the day
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 11, 2013, 12:41:50 pm »

Ford:  If doing something gets you a better read on someone, why not do it?  I guess we just don't agree on reaction tests.

Spoiler: OOC again (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2013, 01:51:10 pm »

Unvote

Snuff Solifuge
White
Light Vector Green

Vector, it's possible that the PM you received, if it happened, was a vote-shift ability to make you light your own green candle. Still makes me suspicious, but a little more toward the event itself.

A mass claim probably isn't necessary, Toaster. Also Tiruin, I think I follow you. I'm down with losing my hat and doddering ways in a minute.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 11, 2013, 01:56:25 pm »

Tiruin: in regard to where I god Derala from on Okami's posts,

Okami Your teal candle is lit, do you have any ideas on what that might mean?
I suspect it means I possess the Wisdom to see the truth, but that's from reading between the lines on my role.  It's affect is not directly stated.

An extrapolation from an extrapolation.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 11, 2013, 02:17:21 pm »

Snuff Tiruin White: Dariush, Tiruin
Oh hey look, someone is fucking with the votes.

Mod, please confirm that this piece was correct.

Dariush: Argh. This is exactly why I'm frustrated.

I claimed my god. TWICE. Avos. The same as Remuthra.
I AM SO UNIMAGINABLY SORRY FOR NOT NOTICING THAT. HOW COULD I FORGET THAT INSTEAD OF A THANKS FOR A REDONE SHEET THAT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE SHIT ANYMORE AND GIVES MORE INFORMATION I AM OWED A RANT FOR NOT CAREFULLY READING THROUGH EVERY WORD OF EVERY POST.
Cado, why do you think that if a candle flares brighter, then that means that it's going to explode or something? Looks like a major overreaction to me.
Why don't you? An effect that was benign probably wouldn't have even had a visible effect.
What? No, it wouldn't. What kind of logic is that?
In terms of game balance, powerful abilities usually have some kind of warning so they don't result in a TPK, unless the party is stupid enough to ignore it.
And what does this have to do with anything? This flare-up could be anything from warning as you said to a sign of a successful ability use to a failed ability use to a red herring to a mere mark 'this candle here is going to get snuffed'. Your asspull is all the more suspicious for being so extremely conveniently coincidental with that of Cado and Toaster.
Why ignore what looks like an obvious sign of a trap?
So, it's a trap now? One paragraph above it was a warning. You are really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY, RREEAALLLLYY panicking about a single line of flavor. I would have written it off as being scared by a new bastard's mechanics if it wasn't for the above-mentioned coincidence.

Toaster, what are those 'new puzzle pieces' you speak of?

New sheet:

Withdraw Shorten, Extend. Unvote, snuff Toaster's white, snuff Ford's white.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 11, 2013, 02:22:46 pm »

Er, I forgot a piece.

Toaster, I don't remember seeing you explain your un-snuffing of Soli. Care for a quote or an explanation?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 11, 2013, 02:27:34 pm »

Must be a voteshift, because I voted to snuff Solifuge's white. I still stand by my earlier votes. We can't lynch people if we're not even sure how. On the second day we can exercise our suspicions in full, using the information gained.

Revote Snuff Solifuge's White
Revote Snuff Remuthra's Green

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 11, 2013, 02:48:28 pm »

Dariush:  Tiruin's claim of acting on Soli's candle.

And I had both my votes out already.  Since I interpreted from the flavor that it was some sort of voteblock on Soli, that one was the logical choice to move on to Ford.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 11, 2013, 03:23:15 pm »

Okay, whoever was asking about why i thought the flaring candle could block "lynch", Solifuge suggested it as a theory and i read it wrong. As for it exploding, it seems like something (possibly bad) will happen if the candle is "lynched". I don't know if it will help us or harm us so i wanted to stay away from it. Exploding just seemed like an idea to me, something like this: >lynch bright fiery candle, fire bursts from last voters disc< Someone already tried to lift their Disc up off the floor and it burned them (literally) so why is this so unreasonable?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 11, 2013, 03:24:27 pm »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Snuff Captain Ford White: Dariush, Toaster, Vector
Snuff RangerCado White: Tiruin
Light Remuthra Green: Remuthra
Light Remuthra Teal: Nerjin
Snuff Solifuge White: Nerjin, notquitethere, Okami No Rei, Onyxjew944, Ottofar, Remuthra, Solifuge
Snuff Toaster White: Dariush, Tiruin
Light Vector Green: notquitethere, Okami No Rei, Ottofar, Solifuge, Toaster, Vector

Please check your votes. I think these are correct, but something got shifted in my spreadsheet last time so I'm not 100% sure.

(Also, Remuthra's Green candle is not lit, therefore a vote for it will Light it)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 11, 2013, 03:34:21 pm »

Oops, I meant Revote Light Remuthra's Green Candle

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 11, 2013, 05:04:38 pm »

Tiruin
I'm really pretty sure that you're panicking. Like I said, what's so wrong about a little Flare?
I can think of one thing. The fact that you refuse to explain it, ducking behind claims of 'Oh, you should just go with it. I promise it's nothing bad.'

Tell us.

Side-note: I skimmed the many thick posts made by Tiruin and others, but did not notice an answer given. If there was one and I just missed it, do quote it.
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 11, 2013, 09:06:23 pm »

So for the only person who did claim something, you want a fullclaim on it, eh?

Why so concerned Onyx. Clarify your case.

Same goes for Ranger. Clarify your case
Okay, whoever was asking about why i thought the flaring candle could block "lynch", Solifuge suggested it as a theory and i read it wrong. As for it exploding, it seems like something (possibly bad) will happen if the candle is "lynched". I don't know if it will help us or harm us so i wanted to stay away from it. Exploding just seemed like an idea to me, something like this: >lynch bright fiery candle, fire bursts from last voters disc< Someone already tried to lift their Disc up off the floor and it burned them (literally) so why is this so unreasonable?
here. Why didn't you ask other than conclude?

PFP-Other mafia game took time.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 108