Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 93

Author Topic: Magic Mafia - Game Over!  (Read 217665 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Mafia - Day 1: Let The Magic Begin
« Reply #225 on: April 05, 2013, 02:00:44 pm »

Unvote.

PPE Zrk2
Now you've got him talking, then what? Are you going to continue poking him, poking others, or just stating your reason henceforth?

Keep him talking of course.

Griffionday:
Zrk2
I'll have more to discuss after your longer post, but for now:

Like I said earlier; to get you talking. To see where you would take it if left to your own devices. I get more out of it this way.
By that point I was already talking quite a lot, so I assume you meant talking toYOU.  But if that's the case why did you completely miss the post where I answered your question that you "waited for with bated breath"?

I have been busy responding to accusations of rolefishing, now we can get on with it. How do you think the mafia should approach this game as opposed to a less role-heavy game? Town? Third parties?

Zrk, Tiruin, Vector, and Griff: How do you 5 feel about NQT's rather out of nowhere statement? Do you believe that this is a good idea? Why and can you trust that NQT does have a string attached were he is able to see the posts in some way?

I think it's quite odd. I want to know more about how it would work before I make any decisions about it though.

NQT: Tell us more. Whatever you can.

RangerCado:

As for the RVS period, it really is just to see if someone slips up at the start. we really have no evidence and a no lynch at the start could be much more beneficial then an actual lynch today. more on that after school.

This has been mentioned previously, but a lynch does a whole lot more than just kill someone. It reveals their alignment so everyone can reflect on their case in light of that, and people can take a look at the cases presented against them. In short it gives people a whole lot more information than the none they had previously had. Without a lynch the mafia just gets a free kill and the town spins their wheels for a whole day. Why would you want to give the mafia a free kill? Have something against the town? Planning something? Why?

Tiruin- I have read many games showing vector as scum and playing very well. Just pointing out facts but can't make any real claims until she speaks.
That is a good compliment.

As for the RVS period, it really is just to see if someone slips up at the start. we really have no evidence and a no lynch at the start could be much more beneficial then an actual lynch today. more on that after school.
Why are you assuming all of these?

I am assuming these due to the chances of lynching a town are much higher on day one, and i have rarely seen a mafia lynched on day one unless they made a slip-up. A no lynch allows anyone who can investigate to go off on their suspicions and see if their confirmed and any deaths could potentially give us useful intel.

These points show that a no lynch also can give us an extra day due to no death on day 1, depending on how the nights go.

It may yield the town an extra day to debate, but it also wastes that first day, as  discussed previously, and two deaths give more than double the information that one death does, because they build on each other. Furthermore by your logic town should never lynch until LYLO because it will give them more time to discuss. Unfortunately one has to eventually grow a pair, stand by what you said, and watch the carnage as the kills pile up and the truth comes tumbling out. Sometimes you're wrong, but you have to trust your abilities and go for it. Mafia is no place for the faint of heart.

Also, i think for now i'll vote No Lynch as i still believe it to be the best course for now.

You sure were determined to deprive the town of a lynch, weren't you?

True, but i don't like the risk of lowering the towns numbers if we mislynch.

Having more people around is always nice, but the town has been known to pick scum on the first day occasionally, and even other than that the D1 lynch tends to be based on the quality of scumhunting rather than anything else. Thus even if a townie is hit D1 it is almost always a relatively useless one and so the town loses relatively little.

I thought a No lynch would help as we may have many Night based roles, both helpful and harmful, that everyone may get more information from rather than mislynching a townie.

Or maybe you're trying to fly under the radar and want to avoid the possible blowback from voting to lynch a townie. Either way you need to make a decision. You are either scum trying to ruin the lynch or a totally ineffective townie, and I think lynching either on D1 is tolerable.

I have true suspicions of him (to me anyway) as he has avoided a couple questions from others. he may just not have seen them (as i sometimes do) but his statement here:(see above for reasons related to DS logic)  leads me to believe he's rolefishing. The way its worded just makes it seem that way so, Zrk why are you appearing to role fish? if this isn't your intention, could you rephrase what you said?
 sorry for not quoting how you suggested Tiruin, but posting on this thing is terrible. in a week a should have a better way to do this when i don't have access to a computer.
 I'll be back 10 am tomorrow. ciao!

I have explains time and again what I meant by my post and you simply cannot fathom it. Now you are trying to turn something you misunderstood into me rolefishing. I was not. Your case is bad and you put no effort into presenting it. Weak. Scummy. Like you are trying to stay below notice. Too bad.

Speak now or die.

Griffionday:
1. You have a protect. What makes you decide who to use it on? When? Why? What if it's a one shot?
2. Same thing with an investigate.
3. Same with a kill.
4. All of the above as scum.
5. As third party?

Scumpicks:
1. RangerCado, as explained above.
2. Hapah, for lurking.
3. TheWetSheep, also for lurking.

Come out my little lurkers, COME TO PLA-AY!

Townpicks:
So far no one strikes me as especially towny.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 05, 2013, 02:30:25 pm »

Aha! Here's another one.

Toaster:
Ford:  What's the scummiest thing you've seen so far?
I have unfortunately not had the time to delve deeply into the goings-on of this game. KotM was taking up a lot of my mental bandwidth. With that out of the way (at least for now), I can focus more on this game.

...babies. I think a babymancer would have been hilarious.

NQT asking for people to volunteer for his ability is an interesting move. It seems like something he'd do.

Ranger seems to have had a little difficulty adapting to way we start games. Not all places do RVS, and it's entirely believable that a first-time player would still have trouble with the practical aspects of it, even if he's read a lot of our games.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*checks the LurkerTracker*

Urist I's got a lot of votes. Not sure why. I didn't see anything stand out in my skimming. Will look into that later.

Hapah hasn't voted for anyone yet ... but neither has web.

Wow ... we actually have a lot of lurkers out there.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2013, 02:36:49 pm »

Zrk: You do realize i posted the rolefishing thing before you explained right? if you did explain once before this, i'm sorry for missing it. Yes i've played rather badly for the first half of this day and have been trying to improve. I do see the merit in lynching at this point but previously it seemed a bad idea to me. Your right about lynching a useless townie not being a huge hit to the Town anyway, but due to the role heaviness of this particular game, we could lose a valuable role for the town. Even if the Townie in question were just dead weight.
Mafia is a lot harder to play on forums... then again, everything is hard the first time. My current picks for Scummy and townie are below.

Also, why have you appeared to be angry at my older postings? Yes most were silly or outright nonsense, but it seems you took the no lynching thing rather personally. One last thing, how have i been trying to fly under the radar? I mean really, i have about 3 or 4 people on me and you think i'm trying to hide? this doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Scummy:
Zrk (3/5) and
NQT (1/5)
Zrk I have stated why previously and NQT has drawn my suspicion due to his ability claim this early. I do acknowledge that he was afraid that he might be night killed but i have to wonder why?
]hr]
Townie:
Griff (3/5)
Tiruin (4/5) and
Tolyk (2/5)
 I do not find Griff or Tolyk scummy as they haven't said anything that really make me believe they are. And although i'm afraid to trust right now, Tiruin hasn't steared me wrong yet and i have been rereading his posts to make sure that I can think of as townie... atleast for now.
NQT: i would like to ask why you were afraid of being night killed? yes it is a real possibility but it still seems to me that this would be an option worth considering after night 1.

The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 05, 2013, 02:38:13 pm »

Can't post right now; will later.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 05, 2013, 02:42:04 pm »

Captain Ford: Uh. . . Web isn't playing?

I'm satisfied for now but I can't reread until this evening.  Unvote.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 05, 2013, 03:09:49 pm »

RC
NQT: i would like to ask why you were afraid of being night killed? yes it is a real possibility but it still seems to me that this would be an option worth considering after night 1.
As I said earlier, I've had terrible luck with mafia. My very first game I was a cop and I was killed N1 before I had a chance to do anything useful. Even if I do survive the night, who knows what blocks or disappearances or redirects or somesuch might go on. It's much safer to get it over and done with early. Also, the longer two people have to chat, the bigger the benefit for them and town. Scum's strength is the fact that they're an informed minority. Creating an informed minority within town might give us an additional edge.

Ford
NQT asking for people to volunteer for his ability is an interesting move. It seems like something he'd do.
Given that I did do it, it is tautologically something that I'd do.
NQT: Uh. Wow. How about this: I swear on my honor I'm town.
Okay Captain Scum, you could at least try to say that with a bit more conviction. Also, I know you're just joking, but if you're serious about consideration for this gift (you might not be) you could be so kind as to name another person to link up with.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 05, 2013, 03:14:38 pm »

PFP

Vector: Yep. :)

Also, 2 votes on UI != a lot. One random. Second ... pressure. Also, UI, you missed a vote and question from Toaster.

NQT: Saying it is something you would do is meaningful. It means I consider it null and neither a scum nor town tell.

Yeah, I struggled with how to phrase that. I was trying to make it as plain as possible, especially since I didn't remember your original phrasing, exactly. But it was meant to be as serious as when you did it.

I can't really suggest anyone else because as I've already admitted I'm currently playing catchup.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 05, 2013, 03:29:23 pm »

Your link is broken.

Zrk: You do realize i posted the rolefishing thing before you explained right? if you did explain once before this, i'm sorry for missing it. Yes i've played rather badly for the first half of this day and have been trying to improve. I do see the merit in lynching at this point but previously it seemed a bad idea to me. Your right about lynching a useless townie not being a huge hit to the Town anyway, but due to the role heaviness of this particular game, we could lose a valuable role for the town. Even if the Townie in question were just dead weight.
Mafia is a lot harder to play on forums... then again, everything is hard the first time. My current picks for Scummy and townie are below.

You are still forgetting that a player has value outside of their role. Scumhunting is the meat of the game, roles just add a little twist. A gimmick if you will.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 05, 2013, 03:45:21 pm »

PFP

Oh hey, I'm still voting you. Unvote. Your answer was fine.

...still reading.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 05, 2013, 04:09:47 pm »

Ford:
More specifically, I would consider the person's posts leading up to the claim, their reasons for claiming (both stated and possible hidden agendas) and then I would poke at them to see how they reacted. Possibly with a stick.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how is a role-claim (such as NQT's) different enough to not justify a poke?

Zrk2
How do you think the mafia should approach this game as opposed to a less role-heavy game? Town? Third parties?
By using the roles they gain to the best advantage of their team.

I have been busy responding to accusations of rolefishing, now we can get on with it.
Only I decided to call you out on role-fishing initially, both Sheep and TolyK were happy to answer, so why didn't you just shrug it off?  Nervousness caused by that accusation perhaps?

Speak now or die.
Desperate to get someone else lynched are we?

1. You have a protect. What makes you decide who to use it on? When? Why? What if it's a one shot?
3. Same with a kill.
5. As third party?
...Really? You really want me to waste the time to answer 12 different questions (some of which I've already answered) that seem to have been thrown together in less than a minute, and I'm not even on your scumpick list?  Explain yourself.

Keep him talking of course.
You have successfully managed to grab my attention.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 05, 2013, 04:18:04 pm »

Ford:
More specifically, I would consider the person's posts leading up to the claim, their reasons for claiming (both stated and possible hidden agendas) and then I would poke at them to see how they reacted. Possibly with a stick.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how is a role-claim (such as NQT's) different enough to not justify a poke?
Huh. I could have sworn I just got him to FoS me. Must have been my imagination.

*conjures a stick and pokes NQT with it*

Hey, NQT, are you poked yet?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 05, 2013, 04:20:26 pm »

Yes Ford, I am adequately prodded.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 05, 2013, 04:30:49 pm »

Ford:
*conjures a stick and pokes NQT with it*

Hey, NQT, are you poked yet?
I'll admit I laughed at this.

Huh. I could have sworn I just got him to FoS me. Must have been my imagination.
I really fail to see how:
Ford
Given that I did do it, it is tautologically something that I'd do.
NQT: Uh. Wow. How about this: I swear on my honor I'm town.
Okay Captain Scum, you could at least try to say that with a bit more conviction. Also, I know you're just joking, but if you're serious about consideration for this gift (you might not be) you could be so kind as to name another person to link up with.
qualifies as something that I should have read "Oh! Ford is poking me! Poke back!" into as you seem to be requesting I do... I think I need to view more of your D1 scum-hunting techniques, any games you'd recommend I read for comparisons sake?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 05, 2013, 04:34:17 pm »

3. Same with a kill.
5. As third party?
...Really? You really want me to waste the time to answer 12 different questions (some of which I've already answered) that seem to have been thrown together in less than a minute, and I'm not even on your scumpick list?  Explain yourself.

You're talking. I'm taking advantage of it. Now you're getting defensive. Interesting. You do know you can take liberties with questions... mix them up, combine some, take time on others... Whatever. Just take the time to talk to me, to us. Getting bitchy and voting for me because of it however is not helpful.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2013, 04:57:08 pm »

Zrk2
You're talking. I'm taking advantage of it. Now you're getting defensive. Interesting. You do know you can take liberties with questions... mix them up, combine some, take time on others... Whatever. Just take the time to talk to me, to us. Getting bitchy and voting for me because of it however is not helpful.
I'm annoyed that you are not reciprocating the effort in this communication.  Your question seems to have been thrown together as an after thought to make it seem like you're "keeping me talking".  These types of questions have already been asked to me before in this mafia, and while I've learned a bit more since then there has been little change in how I analyze the use of roles.  If you want me to talk to you please at least act like you care what the answer is, as this is text I can hardly assume you just like to hear my voice.

You also ignored the rest of my questions, and failed to completely answer this one.  Please take the time to answer them: I actually care what your answers are.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 93