Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 215699 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2013, 06:45:34 am »

Australian politics just got fun.

They have good intentions, yes, but surely considering most of the whaling is taking place in Australian waters, the government simply says 'No fishing in our waters, Japan.' Much simpler than a bunch of eco-pirates harrassing people working.
Except it isn't that simple, because it hasn't happened. The Japanese ships are still there, and no other official ships are going out to help. I mean I'm not happy that we need to sent out a civilian ship to take care of this problem, but apparently we need to send a civilian ship out to take care of this problem because the government is doing sweet fuck all.
Every whale saved from this pirate ship is a whale that would be killed by letting officials take care of it.

When the government starts to do something, I'll stop supporting the Sea Shepherd.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2013, 06:47:29 am »

Have to say i'm against growth. Just because a lot of countries are less densely populated than Australia, that does not mean that those countries are the ideal. Hell, I think the country is already too populated as it is, our cities are huge, our national parks and open spaces etc are becoming more and more overcrowded etc.
What about matters that indirectly affect humans?
TBH I don't really care about the sea Shepard, I live inland anyway.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2013, 06:48:34 am »

Have to say i'm against growth. Just because a lot of countries are less densely populated than Australia, that does not mean that those countries are the ideal. Hell, I think the country is already too populated as it is, our cities are huge, our national parks and open spaces etc are becoming more and more overcrowded etc.

Drive across the Nullarbor sometime :P

More seriously, there are more places than just Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane. Send them to mining towns like Perth. Or rural... anywhere. There is A LOT of Australia that needs hard working people, and has the space for them.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2013, 06:49:17 am »

Australian politics just got fun.

They have good intentions, yes, but surely considering most of the whaling is taking place in Australian waters, the government simply says 'No fishing in our waters, Japan.' Much simpler than a bunch of eco-pirates harrassing people working.
Except it isn't that simple, because it hasn't happened. The Japanese ships are still there, and no other official ships are going out to help. I mean I'm not happy that we need to sent out a civilian ship to take care of this problem, but apparently we need to send a civilian ship out to take care of this problem because the government is doing sweet fuck all.
Every whale saved from this pirate ship is a whale that would be killed by letting officials take care of it.

When the government starts to do something, I'll stop supporting the Sea Shepherd.

But surely you can understand that the actions the Sea Shepherd take are excessive? If they board the ship without express permission, then the Japanese ship is well within rights to protect themselves; at which point we'd have an international incident.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2013, 06:51:05 am »

But surely you can understand that the actions the Sea Shepherd take are excessive? If they board the ship without express permission, then the Japanese ship is well within rights to protect themselves; at which point we'd have an international incident.
I think there are times when excessive and required can over lap.
If the problem is that serious, why doesn't the government just tell the Japanese to stop whaling in our waters, like you propose, and they will all go away and there will be no risk of an incident?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2013, 06:51:40 am »

Speaking of which: Bob Brown so openly supporting Sea Shepherd. Awesome, or Awesomest?

Shitty. Sea Shepherd are nothing but pirates; what they're doing to the Japanese whaling ship is defined as piracy internationally, and the Japanese ships are allowed to defend themselves.

If they have good intentions, then labelling them as "nothing but pirates" is a bit misleading, as it implies they are lawless thief off to steal stuff.

It is ironic that the government gives them as much support as they do despite the fact that they could just fix the problem themselves with comparatively minimal effort.

The strong support from the population they experience however lends them some leverage. Democracy, ftw.

Our cities are small. Some American cities have population that match the whole country.

People are having less and less kids so you may get your wish to some degree anyway.

food issues

*stops stuffing face with food* The 6th most obese country on the planet has food issues?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2013, 07:13:56 am »

Our cities are small. Some American cities have population that match the whole country.
... 'ave you lost it, brah? Largest individual city in the states is NYC, and it's only got around 8 million or so. Largest in south america is sao paulo at only 10 mil or so. Aussie's total pop is 22+ mil.

Some of the metropolitan areas come close, but they're all a million+ short at the most. Think you're either overestimating the population over here or underestimating it where you're at, yeah?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2013, 07:18:27 am »

Even Shanghai only has 17.8 * 10 ^ 6.

And when I say only I mean holy fuck that is a big city, but still falls short of hitting the population of AUS.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:16 am »

Tokyo is 35m for the metropolitan area (which makes it the biggest urban area).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2013, 10:51:52 am »

Seoul
Population (in city proper): 1.05*107
Population (metro): 2.5*107
City area: 600ish km(land)
Population density: 17000 people km-1

* Skyrunner wants to be proud of her hometown.

Also, why is this the Australasian politics thread? O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2013, 10:56:44 am »

Because FearfulJesuit took America, Sheb took Europe, and I took Antarctica. Thus, Australasia.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2013, 10:58:03 am »

No but... why Asia+Australia? XD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2013, 11:20:48 am »

Seoul
Population (in city proper): 1.05*107
Population (metro): 2.5*107
City area: 600ish km(land)
Population density: 17000 people km-1

* Skyrunner wants to be proud of her hometown.

Also, why is this the Australasian politics thread? O_o
Cause Australia needs company or it's the "So....kangaroos. Good/bad?" thread.  :P

Even Shanghai only has 17.8 * 10 ^ 6.

And when I say only I mean holy fuck that is a big city, but still falls short of hitting the population of AUS.
Yes. Yes it is one fucking big city. Like (Blade Runner * The Matrix pod farm)3 big.

Shanghai metro population is about 23.4 million + another 4-6 million liudong renkou (unregistered "illegal" immigrants from other parts of China). Although if you take the whole Yangtze River Delta region as a megalopolis (which is sort of what PRC urban planners intend), I've seen estimates that the population of the whole complex is in excess of 80 million. Only place I've ever felt physically ill just from the scale of things. New York can rival it in terms of height, but once you're up on top of the Empire State, you can see pretty much all of Manhattan and most of New York City. It's finite.

Shanghai, you go up to the top of the Pearl TV Tower, and even if you can see the city (air pollution usually prevents a good view) it stretches off into the horizon. D:

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2013, 03:26:13 pm »

No but... why Asia+Australia? XD

Australasia is a reasonably common term for this part of the world down here.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2013, 04:04:24 pm »

Oh right, sorry, other countries have bigger cities so there is absolutely no reason why we also shouldn't, my mistake. :P
Magma is overrated.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 163