Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 215656 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2013, 04:50:13 pm »

Yes. Yes it is one fucking big city. Like (Blade Runner * The Matrix pod farm)3 big.

Shanghai metro population is about 23.4 million + another 4-6 million liudong renkou (unregistered "illegal" immigrants from other parts of China). Although if you take the whole Yangtze River Delta region as a megalopolis (which is sort of what PRC urban planners intend), I've seen estimates that the population of the whole complex is in excess of 80 million. Only place I've ever felt physically ill just from the scale of things. New York can rival it in terms of height, but once you're up on top of the Empire State, you can see pretty much all of Manhattan and most of New York City. It's finite.

Shanghai, you go up to the top of the Pearl TV Tower, and even if you can see the city (air pollution usually prevents a good view) it stretches off into the horizon. D:
That is... beautiful!
I mean I know some people hate large cities, but I adore them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2013, 05:02:57 pm »

Oh right, sorry, other countries have bigger cities so there is absolutely no reason why we also shouldn't, my mistake. :P
You're absolutely right. That's no reason why you guys shouldn't.

Because it's an entirely disconnected issue and should have no weight whatsoever as to whether you guys trend toward heavier urbanization or not. Hell, even heavier urbanization isn't much of a factor in relation to population increase from what folks have been saying. Y'all apparently have plenty of rural and undeveloped areas that could support a population infusion without terribly much trouble.

Y'don't seem to have reached the point where continued growth has much in the way of negatives, judging by the sound of it, yeah?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2013, 05:09:36 pm »

Oh right, sorry, other countries have bigger cities so there is absolutely no reason why we also shouldn't, my mistake. :P
You're absolutely right. That's no reason why you guys shouldn't.

Because it's an entirely disconnected issue and should have no weight whatsoever as to whether you guys trend toward heavier urbanization or not. Hell, even heavier urbanization isn't much of a factor in relation to population increase from what folks have been saying. Y'all apparently have plenty of rural and undeveloped areas that could support a population infusion without terribly much trouble.

Y'don't seem to have reached the point where continued growth has much in the way of negatives, judging by the sound of it, yeah?

That's definitely true. For example, down my way, 10 years ago Melbourne's urban boundary extended 41km to the South-east. It's now more like 58km.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2013, 05:15:54 pm »

It's a cultural thing. As has been said before, Australians want their own house, a backyard for the kids, and enough parking in their cities to support mom and dad each having a car. The majority of Australians live on the coast for good reasons. Water is too hard to properly source inland, and we have these little semi-annual things called bushfires that really make you regret building in the wrong spot.

We could build up in huge apartment blocks like the major countries in Asia use, but we'd lose the charm of our suburban lifestyle. Give me my own house about 15 minutes drive from the city where the only thing you can hear in the mornings are the birds in the bushland out back.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2013, 03:14:46 am »

I was including the Metropolitan/Municipality areas, yes.

[qupte]
[/quote]

I dont know if that was referencing what I said, but I only said that to show that or cities are not really "huge", nothing to do with the big/small Australia thing.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2013, 03:25:07 am »

Are we discussing how big/small Australia's thing is now?
Love, scriver~

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2013, 06:15:02 am »

Are we discussing how big/small Australia's thing is now?

I assure you, Australia's thing is quite large ;)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 29, 2013, 01:11:33 am »

So I just realized, as members of the Labor parties front bench is replaced with unknowns, the party is slowly becoming controlled by people with little public profile compared to the colleges they replaced. Faceless men, if you will. THE PROPHECY IS COMING TRUE!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2013, 06:40:37 am »

Any one catch tonights QandA?
I have never actually seen the entire audience boo at somebody, sometimes just small handful, but never the entire audience... But they will boo at the homophobic catholic! Fuck yea Josh, you sexy, sexy man!

Now cross your fingers and hope Gillard was watching, and will allow gay marriage just for the hope that it will get some voters.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2013, 03:38:14 pm »

Downloading it now, will post opinion later.
Pretty interesting. I'm confused by the notion of a jewish atheist somewhat tbh. The point about marriage being a purely legal institution is often forgotten by those denouncing same-sex marriage.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:03:44 am by Edmus »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2013, 03:26:41 am »

From what I can gather, she liked Jewish culture and morals, but didn't believe in a god.
Its like somebody who goes to church because they like the people, and enjoys the chance to spend time with the family on Christmas, but doesn't actually believe in a god.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2013, 03:47:47 am »

This just in: local Melbourne Casey Councillor has joined Rise Up Australia.

Oh good god why... I didn't even vote for her.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2013, 03:56:31 am »

Well next time you will actually look into their political alignment first.
Amanda Stapledon eh? Was she independent?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2013, 02:29:32 am »

Yet more vitriol among the Labor camps!

Maybe someday we can see a split! Yay, potential of not stupid policies! But wait, that means the Coalition will always win! :O

Screw politics and burn down the 'Hill!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2013, 01:15:17 am »

I really don't see why the government is taking away funding for our military. It honestly sucks knowing that it's funding is getting more and more shrunk, and that we are going to have to rely on America to support any defence. I really hope that this is rectified.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 163