Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51712 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2014, 05:14:32 am »

People who say that's it's hard, maybe it's because they're too hasty.
It must be.
I'm at year 14 in my first game, standard world settings and large size map.
The first and maybe second year was slow and needed some micromanagement but then i just sped the game up and now i only build one or two houses per year after i upgraded the wooden ones.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2014, 12:56:26 pm »

Gatherer, hunting, and fishing gives you like 6 different foodstuff types. Fish, venison, and the four types that gatherers give.

My towns basically live off fish, though. 28 people spread out over 7 different docks.

I think the people need more than just variety, but I could be wrong.  The town I mentioned above has fish, venison, mushroom, onions, berries, and roots along with their walnuts, pumpkins, and potatoes, but their average health had fallen to three hearts anyway.  The performance of the workers was so bad that fields weren't getting planted fully and no wood was being brought over the bridge from the forester.  The herbs remedied that but the average health is still only 4.5 hearts.  I had another town that had corn, squash, and apples as its crops and it was perfectly healthy without an herbalist.  I think this town needs something more, even yet.

On the other hand I did try the same seed on Easy mode and got sheep, cherries, peaches, beans, and cabbage so not all is lost.  Easy mode is actually harder in some ways than Medium mode.  In Medium mode I was starting with 10 adults and 10 children.  In Easy mode I got 12 adults and 17 children.  That was almost half again as many mouths to feed immediately, of whom almost two-thirds did not contribute to the effort.  Plus, I hated the original layout on Easy mode so I immediately demolished the empty houses and rebuilt them elsewhere.  The delay in planting was fatal.  After two children starved to death I restarted.  After two years of messy living I finally have the fields and houses where I want them, and only one breeding couple escaped their parental control in the process.   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 22, 2014, 03:24:31 pm »

Another thing that would be cool would be horses. People "equip" them similar to tools and then they move 2-4 times faster.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #288 on: February 22, 2014, 04:47:22 pm »

I'm thinking that they put food and supplies on their horse and lead it around. This lets you build stuff that's much farther away, because they take fewer trips to the stockpiles and fewer trips home to eat.

Horses would only be used when the destination is farther than X from the nearest home/stockpile.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2014, 12:00:00 am »

different "cultures?/settings" might be interesting i.e.:

-Asian: with rice fields and temples, maybe with options for island terrain a la japan? well or "normal" terrain for more china setting.

-south America Aztecs: set in jungle area, maybe multistory buildings/temples, maybe needs more healthcare overall with insects, diseases or dangerous animals (if combat makes it in the game).

-north America with "native Americans": maybe mostly based on animal products like hides for buildings/tents... maybe can "pack buildings" to move them elsewhere and need to move every 2-4 years around the map like "nomads" to get to an area of the map with more animals?

-African/Egypt (pharaoh game style): with desert, and floodplains for fields, focus on burial sites.

-arctic: igloos (?), mostly based on fishing? and cold temperature.

but i guess this all would mostly be a re-skin of the existing stuff with changed numbers (i.e. a rice field compared to a potato field)... except where new mechanics would be added.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 23, 2014, 01:37:49 am »

Finally got a chance to sit down and play. I'm enjoying it so far, although my first town is going perhaps too well. Survival hasn't been a problem at all. Logs are my usual bottleneck, but even that's manageable.

My current goal is to get enough trade goods made so that I can actually but some more seeds or some animals. I don't have a problem with food, but being able to make a better variety would be nice.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 23, 2014, 04:08:39 am »

Anyone else have issues with the fishing docks?

I put in the maximum of 4, like it defaults to. Within twenty years, the production-per-year of each dock has fallen drastically, from 1100-1200 to 500-800.

They don't overlap, at least not much. A sliver or two here or there, and some of them overlap on land. Is it just the default is too many workers, and it leads to over-fishing?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 23, 2014, 04:26:20 am »

Probably overfishing.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 23, 2014, 04:50:04 am »

I dont think overfishing is a factor. Land does not count, only the amount of water within the radius and if they share that is reduced too.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 23, 2014, 04:54:42 am »

Yeah there's no overfishing or crop rotation in, yet people keep mentioning it.  Just for those who don't know, multiple trade ports means more traders will come per year.  Good for buying stone/iron/coal en masse.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 23, 2014, 04:59:29 am »

Pretty sure that over-lapping radiuses leads to a lower output, but I'm not sure if too many workers does either.

The weird part is that it's not even my (barely even) over-lapping fisheries that are the lowest number, one's off by itself and is the 500-ish per-year dock.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:03:04 am by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 23, 2014, 05:04:38 am »

Yeah the radius thing is a factor, but your production should be staying the same for decades.  Did you build a trade port in the fish dock's radius?  Maybe that reduces it by a little bit.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 23, 2014, 05:08:41 am »

No, that trade-dock is in the radius of one of the higher-output docks.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 23, 2014, 05:16:23 am »

Anyone else have issues with the fishing docks?

I put in the maximum of 4, like it defaults to. Within twenty years, the production-per-year of each dock has fallen drastically, from 1100-1200 to 500-800.

They don't overlap, at least not much. A sliver or two here or there, and some of them overlap on land. Is it just the default is too many workers, and it leads to over-fishing?

I would definitely consider less workers per dock, at least as a test. I think that there's a diminishing return mechanic with how many people you put in the same building.

Other possible causes : unhappiness, lack of quality tools, education, distance from home/storage, other tasks interfering, etc...
Don't forget that by default there is no warning for deaths of old age, which can cause you to overlook building a graveyard, and I don't know if the first settlers are educated or not, but it could be that they were replaced by uneducated ones
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:28:30 am by Sirian »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 23, 2014, 10:00:27 am »

SO... Working with some friends we started working out on what is the Optimal size to make your farms. We discovered that the a 7x8 farm is the max size for ONE Farmer to work it, in doing so, he has a higher chance of getting a 100% yield and full harvest in the time allowed. I also found that the average amount harvest from a farm this size is 392 units, which when sometimes leading to a bumper crop over or maybe a little less you can easily build 4 of these farms within the same sized area of the normal max farm size and get a constant amount...

http://puu.sh/77vSV.jpg

Here you can see the graph of the harvest coming in and making due with the fish/plants/livestock produce over winter, the harvest making a huge bump each time and increasing each year forth, The dip was that of BEFORE I removed my initial farms of 15/10 which had me using over 40 farmers to keep running and even then not even getting 100% yield or harvest...

Now I am working on Orchids, what is the minimal size (I guess 7x8 again) for one farmer and their average harvest...

One of those friends I mentioned before is actually building a village which has limited user interaction, that is that after building the constructions (or placing them and pausing) he removes himself from direct control. This includes not building additional housing beyond a certain amount. He is currently waiting to see when his last citizen will pass and if Nomads will still come to his empty village. Last heard, 33 years have passed and the last one is 84, close to passing...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28