Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51652 times)

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #315 on: February 24, 2014, 01:37:02 am »

Trade it for massive amounts of stone and charcoal!  The shipments of logs/stone/charcoal if you ONLY order that one item gets insane.  With 200 population, I'm seeing stone shipments of 1K.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 24, 2014, 02:34:11 am »

So I finally managed to establish a settlement that relies completely on self-produced food and overproduction of firewoods for barter.

Gatherer's Huts are amazingly efficient, in terms of food production per worker. Up to 50 population were supported solely by two fully staffed Gatherer's Huts (four workers each) placed in dense forests.

I only need to build a single quarry and an iron mine for 'decorative' purpose so far. To pay tribute to Diablo the mine is placed behind graveyards and a church.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 24, 2014, 04:19:26 am »

I have like 18 Herbilists, yet NONE of them are bringing home any herbs. I am almost always at 0 medicine... T_T
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 24, 2014, 05:15:07 am »

Caved and bought this.  Considering it... the game has no soul within it.

Also, pretty easy once you figure the basics out.  I almost got hit by the declining old people thing... and there was this one time I almost starved. 
Now, I'm literally overflowing my storehouses with food and stuff and just taking my sweet time growing.  Even got around 10 spare idlers and 15-ish more freeloaders. 

Hard and Harsh.  Giant Valley map though.... seed #1.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 24, 2014, 05:55:30 am »

Go Hard Harsh Mountian Small.
You get an Achievement.

And for the sidesteppers amongst you all, you can savescum trade boats until they're selling the thing you want.
Just as long as you save before it docks.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 24, 2014, 06:06:06 am »

Damn, my village finally succumbed to food and tool deficit. This happened after I accepted 22 nomads. They bred like rabbits!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 24, 2014, 06:21:51 am »

You get an Achievement.

And for the sidesteppers amongst you all, you can savescum trade boats until they're selling the thing you want.

You can just build like 5 trade depots and get flooded with traders too.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 24, 2014, 08:13:46 am »

Yeah. All selling the seeds you already have.

However, as that's not really helping, I'm thinking of doing a series of tests to see which food-place has the best food/pp and food/pft2, if I can get back to a functioning population.
Tip, guys. If you get pop 100-250, do all your important stuff then (Especially future-proofing animal herds). Trying to manage food supply when you're consuming >60k a year usually takes up all of your time and space.
I'm actually buying >10k yearly just to keep up. Although that's a handwave to me. I sell all of my meat and buy fruit, 3:1.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:20:26 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 24, 2014, 07:31:19 pm »

You get an Achievement.

GoG version has acheezements?

I might try a mountain region.  But, I'm the type that wants it big so I could eventually make a huge city...

Edit: If I am doing my math right... people eat roughly... 120-ish food each person... with steel tools and warm coat... you should be able to feed 4 people per food producer.  As long as you have a barn yard/market and housing within 'reasonable' distance.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:17:54 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 25, 2014, 01:05:26 am »

Is there a pop cap? I've been cramping my houses together as efficiently as possible in case of future space issues, but now I wonder if it's really necessary.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 25, 2014, 04:11:32 am »

I don't think so. Just the more people you have, the lazier and hungrier everyone gets.

(Disclaimer, there is no evidence to prove this effect is real- but darn it if it doesn't seem like it.)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 25, 2014, 05:38:53 am »

No, no, it's 'as soon as one person starves to death, everyone else shits themselves and stops producing food for some reason, resulting in a 20% deficit in the food you produce compared to the food you eat resulting in a 60% loss of population'

This really is not a finished game; It's polished and pretty but the deeper gameplay is just bass-ackwards; there are so many low-hanging fruit left that would make it a vastly better game, IMO.

E: the thing in quotes is (probably) not accurate, the disproportional starvation thing totally is, however, and is probably related to every single townsperson being Ayn Rand in disguise and refusing to let their starving neighbours eat any of the food they have in their house.

The upshot, however, is how silly and/or ghetto/bogan the townsfolks' names can get. Ninnifred? Really?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:44:01 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 25, 2014, 06:08:42 am »

It's a starvation spiral.

Basically when food arrives in the granary, every starving person cancels their job in order to pick it up. Which results in crops not being harvested, etc.

Good stuff.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #328 on: February 25, 2014, 07:31:47 am »

I wonder if a starvation spiral can be triggered by lack of firewood, then.  If everyone runs to get firewood, they will also stop fishing, hunting, and gathering.

The best approach is to keep a year's worth of food in storage.  Thank goodness for plastic wrap; none of it goes bad.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 25, 2014, 08:33:19 am »

I keep having trouble with Firewood, I have like 2000 wood in stock but none of my Woodcutters get it cause their local stockpiles are filled with Iron and the wood is too far away they don't even get one chop in before they have to go eat.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28