Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: "People Who Understand Math" and "How Math is Taught"  (Read 8287 times)

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "People Who Understand Math" and "How Math is Taught"
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2013, 10:47:44 am »

For example, I never memorized 8*9. But being a Person Who Understands Math who did memorize 9*9, I was generally able to convert 8*9 into 81-9 and do that in my head fast enough that the examiners couldn't tell the difference.

Don't you steal my method. I mean, I know all the low shit, but I do this sort of stuff all the time for anything above twelve. x*17? Just do x*10, x*5, and x*2.

If this is anything special, I was unaware of it.

It's called the distributive property of multiplication.
Also 8*9 = 8*(10-1) = 80-8 strikes me as easier than the 9*9 route but I suppose that's just individual preferences.

I find too many teachers are not sufficiently competent. This may be especially apparent in math ― perhaps because of how abstract it is ― but it applies to other subjects as well.

Personally, I had great teachers in junior high and high school, and consequently did well on average, despite the fact that I performed well below average in my own class.

I find that especially in math those that are great at it have so many superb opportunities besides teaching that are fun and earn way more money it is a rare thing for a good mathematician to become teacher.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2013, 10:53:52 am »

Multiplies of nine up to *10 get the finger method.

Pull down the finger that you're multiplying by. The number of fingers on the left is the first digit. The number of fingers on the right is the second. Use both hands, of course.

After that I usually just combine that and adding or whatever, when dealing with nines.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 11:47:54 am »

If I, and I'm sure many other students, could make something beautiful with mathematics, even if it were simple, I would probably grab hold with both hands instead of pushing away with both hands.

Seriously, watch viharts videos. Actually, let me find you one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14-NdQwKz9w - Being a plant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-pyuaThp-c   - Connecting the dots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am-a5x9DGjg  - Fruit by the foot

What she does in these videos is math. Real math. Just... watch them, and tell me what you think. Tell me if any of that is even remotely beautiful. To me, it is. That sort of stuff can almost bring me to tears with it's beauty. But maybe I'm just weird- in fact, I'm sure it. But I hope you can at least get a glimpse of what's beyond the bullshit they've showed you in school.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2013, 12:07:15 pm »

But that doesn't mean anybody can just breeze through it. Some people are less naturally inclined, and it will take some more work.

Yes.  For example, I've never breezed through a math class in my life.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2013, 12:16:40 pm »

But that doesn't mean anybody can just breeze through it. Some people are less naturally inclined, and it will take some more work.

Yes.  For example, I've never breezed through a math class in my life.

Really? I always figured you had an easy time with math, as IIRC you're currently trying for your Masters aren't you?

But yes, there are definitely levels of natural aptitude for math. For instance I never had to study for a math class until university, and I almost always finished them with 90s.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »

I'm an undergrad with a sort of strange natural aptitude, and I'll be trying for a PhD soon.  So, you know, pretty much anyone with any math skill who meets me goes: "Aha, she'll be a mathematician."  I can solve a lot of problems without thinking about them, which other people would have a hard time with.  But a lot of the formal maneuvers of mathematics are hard for me, and I can't do anything I don't understand in this deep and natural way.  What I'm saying is, a lot of courses have hand-waving, and a course with hand-waving is a course I'm going to get a bad grade in.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:24:03 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2013, 12:22:57 pm »

I'm an undergrad with a sort of strange natural aptitude, and I'll be trying for a PhD soon.  So, you know, pretty much anyone with any math skill meets me goes: "Aha, she'll be a mathematician."  I can solve a lot of problems without thinking about them, which other people would have a hard time with.  But a lot of the formal maneuvers of mathematics are hard for me, and I can't do anything I don't understand in this deep and natural way.  What I'm saying is, a lot of courses have hand-waving, and a course with hand-waving is a course I'm going to get a bad grade in.

That makes a lot of sense. I know physics has recently made more sense since I've seen the derivations of the various energy equations.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2013, 12:32:53 pm »

But a lot of the formal maneuvers of mathematics are hard for me, and I can't do anything I don't understand in this deep and natural way.  What I'm saying is, a lot of courses have hand-waving, and a course with hand-waving is a course I'm going to get a bad grade in.
Ah, that explains it. I'm largely the same way, but I had good luck with having a decent teacher and really good textbooks. Hand-waving kept to a minimum.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

BerenErchamion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2013, 12:50:22 pm »

Or, potentially list of people willing to be pmed about maths?
I'm willing to be talked to about math, and even to try to help teach what bits I know. I can't guarantee I won't fall into the same trap many other teachers have of "this is the formula and there's not time to discuss how it works", though.

I guess it's part of the education issue nowadays. Though, I don't think mathematimcs is the only problem.
Yep. It's also a problem in physics, programming, and most subjects which require logical thinking

Such as history, cultural anthropology, critical studies, literature, etc.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2013, 01:09:59 pm »

Cracked open my other past year books with the mindset presented and I've to say, really intriguing it is. Seeing it from a different and narrower viewpoint.

The mechanics of how to approach a problem or deduce a practical way of solving a process is different and varying in how it makes sense or follows a train of thought, in comparison with showing a one-way method and showing how it would probably work with the rest.

Like Problem Solving. They did say Math problems in written form are the hardest to undertake as the correct method or process of answering lie in how you approach it.

I guess now I get what I've heard that Math is an established science.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2013, 05:35:49 pm »

I really don't like that term. "Correct method". There may be a fastest method for a humans and a fastest method for computers and a most accurate method for computers and a most accurate method for pencil & paper, but there really is no correct method for... much anything.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2013, 06:15:41 pm »

http://www.maa.org/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf
This is a person who has experienced Mathematics. He looks into the abyss, and the abyss looks back. I should know, I do too. It is wonderful. This was a beautiful read, and I wonder why I have never ever before seen this.

I enjoy every moment of doing Mathematics (and I hated every moment of doing school "math"), and I weep for those who didn't (and most likely never will) have the chance to experience the beauty of unconstrained thinking, drawing concepts in your mind and finding the patterns that appear. Having an Idea is the most wonderful feeling ever. Dear person who reads this post, pick a thousand random people from your home city. There's a very good chance that none of them ever had an Idea. And that is a sad thing.

-WALLOFTEXT-
You should read Lockharts Lament (linked in the top quote), if you haven't by now.

-WALLOFTEXT-
You should probably also read Lockharts Lament (if you haven't by now).

In fact, everybody who hasn't yet read it should read it through completely before they continue to post here.

Here's the link a few more times, just so people notice. Seriously, it's worth reading.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2013, 06:20:34 pm »

This is a person who has experienced Mathematics. He looks into the abyss, and the abyss looks back. I should know, I do too. It is wonderful. This was a beautiful read, and I wonder why I have never ever before seen this.

I enjoy every moment of doing Mathematics (and I hated every moment of doing school "math"), and I weep for those who didn't (and most likely never will) have the chance to experience the beauty of unconstrained thinking, drawing concepts in your mind and finding the patterns that appear. Having an Idea is the most wonderful feeling ever. Dear person who reads this post, pick a thousand random people from your home city. There's a very good chance that none of them ever had an Idea. And that is a sad thing.

-WALLOFTEXT-
You should read Lockharts Lament (linked in the top quote), if you haven't by now.

-WALLOFTEXT-
You should probably also read Lockharts Lament (if you haven't by now).

In fact, everybody who hasn't yet read it should read it through completely before they continue to post here.

Here's the link a few more times, just so people notice. Seriously, it's worth reading.

Yeah, I've read it a couple times. Whenever I see something like that, it makes me want to dive in, but diving back into math is like diving into a pool filled with concrete. It hurts, and makes me want to not do it again. I see stuff like that, or the Vihart videos, or whatever makes math beautiful, and it makes me want to learn it, but it's never taught to look like that. It's taught to look impenetrable and confusing, and if you don't just "get it" you're fucking stupid and get out. It's 100% pointless busywork, and there's a reason you're doodling in math class.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2013, 06:27:31 pm »

Yeah, I've read it a couple times. Whenever I see something like that, it makes me want to dive in, but diving back into math is like diving into a pool filled with concrete. It hurts, and makes me want to not do it again. I see stuff like that, or the Vihart videos, or whatever makes math beautiful, and it makes me want to learn it, but it's never taught to look like that. It's taught to look impenetrable and confusing, and if you don't just "get it" you're fucking stupid and get out. It's 100% pointless busywork, and there's a reason you're doodling in math class.
Wait wait wait, you got it all wrong. Math is not the thing your math teacher does. Math is the thing you're doodling.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2013, 06:34:35 pm »

Wait, reading the OP, did you just say that (2/3)*(1/3)=8?
I think I might have read that wrong.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8