Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 94581 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: The (not so) last stand of Wirejade [SPOILERS]
« Reply #150 on: December 26, 2013, 09:43:07 pm »

This is an artifact fort. It menaces with spikes of !!FUN!!. It is decorated with hanging rings of someone already made this joke.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 27, 2013, 03:17:07 am »

Posting to watch.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2013, 04:24:17 pm »

All the FBs plaguing the second level of the caverns are now dead, and dwarves can finally walk there safely. Really, I should've got this idea a long time ago.

I dug out a 7x7 chamber and put an artifact table in the middle. Then I channelled out the ceiling, except for a ring of floor two tiles away from the table, built a support there and linked it to a nearby lever, while pasturing some animals nearby to make the bait more attractive. When everything was ready, I pierced a hole to the caverns and waited.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All six beasts rushed in. One of them took a turn towards the fortress proper; fortunately it was just a water humanoid with vapours causing a mild gut rot, quickly dealt with by the passing war animals. I was watching the rest futilely claw at the artifact while I ordered the lever to be pulled.

The collapsing ceiling killed them immediately, including Ngongno Unouzun Osnongstrastnas, a hornblende quadruped with powerful syndrome dust, and Comewi, a fire-breathing skinless lizard which had been hit with another beast's (maybe Ngongno's) dust and has been walking around rotting and spewing clouds of miasma like some demon of decay. Oh, and it killed my mechanic with a fireball.

Two dwarves who were in the wrong place at the wrong time were lost, one of them a legendary engraver, Stukos Citybeauty. With their deaths, the total population fell below 200. I should probably do something about that, and quickly...

EDIT: Oops. Looks like the vapour weren't that harmless after all, and that one of my best marksdwarves is now blind and blistered. Wait, she can see again. That's a relief; she refuses to go to the hospital, I hope that won't end badly.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:45:14 pm by Hetairos »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2013, 05:23:04 am »

Holy Armok's Balls, why have I missed this thread? It's awesome!

Could you put a score table at the first post? Like that -
FB's : 32
Clowns : 54
Dwarves : 503
Others :  Uncountable!

I think that would be fun, though boresome to count. Maybe I'lll come up with easy way later. For now I just think of using falconne's dfhack search plugin on list of dead, it easily filters FB's and every type of demon separately, but count dwarves apart from their dead cattle is a hard task. Maybe fix/dead-units script helps with removing animals from there?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:31:13 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2013, 05:12:09 am »

This is. . . simply amazing.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2013, 01:23:47 pm »

Could you put a score table at the first post? Like that -
FB's : 32
Clowns : 54
Dwarves : 503
Others :  Uncountable!

Sorry to disappoint you, but fix/dead-units is apparently a bit overzealous. The list only shows 15 FBs, all slain recently, and no demons at all. I could list dwarves, and maybe kobold thieves. I remember the game spawned about a hundred demons, only one of which remains alive, trapped in a forgotten corridor near the bottom of the second cavern level. It's a pity, since I was curious about that myself.

By the way, demons which haven't acquired a name are considered equal to wild animals when it comes to kill lists - a dwarf can kill five kobolds and get a title, but twenty dead demons still won't net him one.

A fire-breathing scorpionfly forced me to shut down access to the second caverns, interrupting the wild gem hunt I sent the miners on. It was the last level of the caverns I discovered, and one exceptionally difficult to explore due to a shortage of open space in certain areas.

As a result, there are many clusters of gemstones waiting to be excavated (including rock crystal), not to mention the numerous easily accessible veins of gold. My aim is to make the area a bit more traversable and establish firmer control over it. I'll put a cannon or two in there, and some artifact building as bait.

I've resumed work on descending into hell, the first stage of which is casting obsidian around the edges of the adamantine veins so the ore itself can be safely exploited. What comes later will pose a much greater challenge. The demons won't attack unless you do it first or come too closely, but I'm afraid Forgotten Beasts may all rush in as soon as my staircase reaches the bottom. There is a steel cockroach among them, for example. If I capture it alive, I could use it to train the entire fortress to legendary in marksdwarfship, but I'd rather not have my soldiers face it in combat. I'm going to need a few hatches, forbid the masons from carrying crossbows, and be really, really careful.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2014, 08:16:44 pm »

There are three things which can be blamed for this delay: my internet connection slowing down to non-functional levels, the Call of Warhammer Rage of Dark Gods mod for M2:TW and the simple fact that most of the effort for the past month went into getting rid of huge amounts of stuff that has accumulated over the years. All the millable plants have been milled into dye or flour, so I can now send the millers to do other tasks and grow some of those crops for brewing. I have over 1700 units of dye, that should last me a while. Severely limiting agriculture allowed me to reduce the plant stocks to less than 8000 units from over 11000 in the beginning. The amount of useless bone crap lying around can still be only described as "unholy", and it only increased, but there is less even more useless bone in storage. All rock nut paste was processed, and I'll go through the oil itself soon, too. Meat stocks? Over 7500, most of it from Forgotten Beasts, and growing. I had to butcher some llamas and ran out of storage space. A lot of dead llama had to be tossed into the magma sea.

But enough of my logistical troubles, I imagine they're not very interesting to read about. All dwarves unburied for various reasons - the most common of which was having been immolated by demons, before or after death - have a memorial slab now, nearly forty years after death. The waterguns in the eastern and southern sides of the fort are ready for linking their components together. The new statue garden is being filled with statues, encrusted with some of the fort's most precious gems. I caught some rutherers, which will replace llamas as a source of meat and leather, and crundles, which I plan to use for live training for my soldiers. Forgotten Beasts unfortunately prevented me from progressing towards Hell. Especially this bitch.

Its poisonous gas killed a High Master Marksdwarf who got too close. A legendary one, Astesh Rawring the Fetid Droplets of Laboring lost both arms in a fight with another FB, Thudel Menaceshaft the Poisoned Hex, but what killed him was a kick in the head some time later. Two axedwarves were slain by a winged salt humanoid who proved to be more of a challenge than I thought. A promising young swordsdwarf was crushed to death by a blob beast which flew in through a hole I forgot to wall off. An Expert Swordswarf, Atis Diamondsound, is already 162 and may pass away any year now. Two new recruits, Iden Armorkeys and Asob Helmmurders can't replace those losses soon. Asob became the new captain of the guard. Sakzul wielded a sword (later named The Angry Thrower), Kadol an axe, and Asob received an ☼adamantine pick☼, a remainder of my attempt to create a squad of miners, cut short by Radavi's rampage. The other soldiers are certainly up to any challenges they may face, and quite a few received titles or became weapon lords, or both - enough for me to lose track of who was already mentioned. So I wrote a little something for reference.

The most intense fight they were a part of was the one with Nosmul the Skull of Oblivion, a one-eyed sparrow, beware its deadly dust. I sent the military after it when I accidentally learned it causes what may be the most underwhelming syndrome ever - temporary disabling the pancreas. Fighting dust beasts with soldiers is quite a chore. They keep spamming massive clouds of dust, and you can only hope someone or something gets a lucky shot in. The soldiers spent more time being thrown around than fighting. The battle moved into the entrance corridor of the caverns, where bolts, war animals and weapons finally brought the beast down.

There was also a tick devil escaped from Hell. It broke the hands of Momuz the swordmaster, but Lor the hammerlord killed it mostly on his own, striking the killing blow with his bone shield. Three Forgotten Beasts are sitting in the third cavern around an artifact door. One of them is called Abesp.

Abesp is a web-spinning humanoid made of electrum. You might be wondering what's so shocking about that. Well, Wirejade sits upon gargantuan amounts of gold. Tens of z-levels of gabbro criss-crossed with gold veins. Galena is the second most common ore, not counting the iron-bearing rocks. As a result, electrum became the staple luxury metal in the fortress. The furniture in the quarters, in the dining halls, doors, workshops, roads leading to the entrance, much of the new statue garden, many more things... all made of the same alloy. It's almost symbolic of the fortress. And Abesp... I can't help but feel like it's a sign of the things to come, a foreboding herald of impending doom. Perhaps a symbol of the fortress turning upon itself, of a danger hidden within. What it is, I do not know, and I dare not speculate.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2014, 01:29:05 am »

Man, how old IS this fort?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2014, 11:52:32 am »

It has just hit 60 years, and I'm far from finished with it. Hell isn't taken over yet, for example...

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2014, 05:45:18 pm »

The three Forgotten Beasts blocking my way to the adamantine spires - Abesp and Oquari Moistenhollow, the web-spinners, and Cirono Frigiddrunken - were lured into a containment chamber with an artifact table inside with the use of some giant hornbills as bait. My elite marksdwarves can now shoot at them from time to time with impunity, while they fruitlessly bang on a shiny piece of furniture. It's amazing what creative application of drawbridges can accomplish.

That means I have free access to the adamantine spires again, and work on them can be resumed. The deeper I go, the more obsidian casting is there to do to safely mine out the precious metal, but I want to have it at least mostly processed by the time I start descending into Hell. It's going quite smoothly, but I'm still being extra careful to avoid unfortunate accidents. I have a very devious plan on how to clear Hell of FBs. It involves some bait artifact furniture, giant hornbill cages, and a lot of cage traps.

The statue garden was finally finished and designated. Halfway through the construction I decided to encrust the new statues before building them. It took some more time, but some gems were put to a good use at last. Here is a long promised screenshot. I changed the colour of electrum from the original brown.

I keep drowning the elves in bone goods. Unfortunately, even selling about 200 000 ☼'s worth of them hardly puts a dent in my stocks. I can only hope they will be gone before the end of the century. One time, the elves took so long to pack up one of their animals gave birth. Here's one of the many, many things I sold.

The animal count stays below 700. And apparently I've already used up all the 1700 units of dye. The cultivation of fibre crops has been halted.

I trapped a few interesting things: blind cave ogres, useful for live training the civilians in crossbow use; crundles, which I modded to be able to breed and intend to use as a renewable source of practice targets for actual soldiers; rutherers, which I want to replace llamas with (alpacas stay, though - I need milk and wool); a giant cave spider, for which I'm building a silk farm at the moment; and a werecamel I'm going to keep around just in case he's ever needed. And two giant toads, hopping around the fort. The problem with rutherers is that they take 10 years to mature, if I'm reading the raws correctly, so I'd need some other source of leather. I'm considering guineafowl - they don't produce too many secondary products, and multiply quickly.

The last remaining dwarf of the original seven, Shorast Howlrock, went into a mood at last. Boltsclout the rope reed fiber shirt is relatively unremarkable, but still an artifact. I had her put it on. Other recent moods brought some mechanisms, some bone furniture useful for luring building destroyers and a few useless trinkets or pieces of clothing. The new captain of the guard, Asob Helmmurders, bestowed the awesome name of Livingdrunken on her masterwork adamantine pick.

I noticed something disturbing while replacing stone furniture with electrum in the dwarven quarters. Take a look at them:

The vast majority of these bedrooms doesn't belong to anyone. Their owners are long dead. I'll remove and sell or melt the furniture from the unused ones and then show you just how empty the fort is in comparison to what it used to be. Not all rooms were taken even when the population was at it's peak, but now there are entire rows of beds where only one is claimed.

I pieced together most of the story of Datan Natureboulders. The two youngest of his seven children immigrated to my fort: Urdim Laboredbristle, a bone carver, most likely slain by demons, and Ingiz Scouredmachine, who became the first melee weaponlord in the fort, received the title of the Umbral Omen of Trade, and is still fighting and training even though a Forgotten Beast tore off his right arm years ago. Urdim and Ingiz were born in 53 and 54 respectively. Datan became a general of the Whip of Beaches in 92. However, in the early autumn of 121 Ber the Sweltering Spine, the kea god of volcanoes and mountains, cursed him to become a werehedgehog. He did the same thing to two queens of the Whip of Beaches before. I guess there is a reason Ingiz doesn't worship any gods. Later on, Datan arrived at Wirejade, and I had him killed, knowing nothing about his past. It must've happened decades ago.

And for the end, some figurine weirdness:

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2014, 04:37:14 pm »

Must have been a big crossbow.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2014, 04:27:25 pm »

Must have been a big crossbow.

I'm imagining a very angry dwarf cramming a huge spear into a crossbow and running towards the caverns, while everyone gets out of his way and decides not to ask questions.

I probably killed it with retracting spears while someone was shooting at it. Note the figurine doesn't list the killer.

It's good to know someone is still reading this, by the way.

I wanted to apologise for the fact that things have been quite slow recently. I hope to pick up the pace as soon as I finally start expanding into Hell. I managed to free up much of the workforce, enough to get double-digit amounts of idlers not seen for decades, so if if I put them to a good use it should happen sooner rather than later.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2014, 03:32:01 pm »

I still read this as well. :)

How is the fort?
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2014, 05:21:06 am »

Heh, we always lurk somewhere near, waiting to hear some more epic tales from great fortress  ;)

Also, wanted to say it a long time: you have really, really weird figurines (and artists, respectively). Yet, essentially, it's what makes them so great.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2014, 10:09:12 am »

Impressive how you`ve kept this alive for so long.

From the dwarves point of view, it would almost seem like they are cursed by the gods.

I like your band of legendary dwarves. Most of which are getting used to tragedies.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21