Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 94538 times)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The (not so) last stand of Wirejade [SPOILERS]
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2014, 07:21:11 am »

How is the fort?

Quite well, thank you. There were a few births and a few deaths, so the population remains stable. There is a couple with 18 children, by the way. I have a nice herd of rutherers now, and a silk farm with a giant cave spider. Crundles fail to bree- wait, no. I could swear I had added a [CHILD:1] tag a while ago. Embarrassing. I've captured a bunch of elk birds recently, but I'm not expecting too much from them - grazing and egg-laying don't go well together. There's a second werecamel, too. This island seems chock full of them. Giant armadillos bought from elves ensure I'll never have to worry about shells again.

No new Forgotten Beasts entered the map, but there was a dragon, which killed two dwarves, almost wiped out my alpacas, and then started puking and bleeding to death for an unknown reason, possibly getting hit by a bolt covered in FB extract.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I got rid of all the bone/horn/hoof/etc. amulets, bracelets, rings, figurines (sorry, Sarrak) and whatnot mostly thanks to a minecart delivering them almost straight to the depot. The next items on the list are surplus furniture, civilian crossbows and quivers, old steel armour and, of course, the 65000 prepared meals. At least the supply of cookable items, save for a small cheese industry I started, is mostly exhausted. Agriculture works on an ad-hoc basis, helping keep a modest stockpile of dye and the amount of all types of booze above a thousand. I might lower the threshold in the future. Plants below 5000. The clothesmaking industry is being converted to rely on silk.

Impressive how you`ve kept this alive for so long.

From the dwarves point of view, it would almost seem like they are cursed by the gods.

Do you mean the absence of caravans and migrants? If yes, it seems we have an explanation. Sadly, nothing can be done about it:

There's also the extremely rare case where part of a caravan gets stuck in limbo - i had one case of a wagon getting blocked, possibly by a sprouted tree, just off the map proper, and another case where a horse pulling a stuck wagon ended up in solid rock when the wagon broke. In both cases, the unit stayed loaded but untouchable and the related caravan was treated as never having left the site.

I'm putting this on a semi-hiatus for now, since I don't want to clutter the thread only with reports on logistics and industry. That means I'm going to keep things moving forward, just not described in full detail. Once I start expanding into Hell I should have something ready to show off.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2014, 05:33:10 pm »

'Last Stand'.
'Colonizing Hell'.
Welcome to Wirejade.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2014, 04:05:16 pm »

Nevermind. Nothing actually happened. I forgot to pause the game and everything broke. I don't usually savescum, but when I do, it's to retcon stupid things like this. Sorry  :-[
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:50:28 pm by Hetairos »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2014, 10:18:46 pm »

And it was such a good update too  :(
*Insert words of encouragement here*
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2014, 03:28:54 pm »

All right. Take two.

The year is 200 and Wirejade stands at the dawn of the new century, greater than ever. And what better way to commemorate this event can there be if not to conquer the unconquerable?

Once the staircase reached the floor of Hell, all the Forgotten Beasts rushed into my carefully prepared trap, just as I had predicted. I waited for them all to assemble, and released the bait animals. The place soon turned into mess of dust, vapours, webs and miasma. The intention was to have the beasts spray the cage traps with webs and throw each other into the cages with the dust explosions. And perhaps test their syndromes.

Three beasts were caught, but two died to syndrome vapours, together with almost all organics. The other one is a boring snow quadruped. All others are now safely locked between two drawbridges and keep assaulting the artifact table in the middle of the trap. Now I'm dropping giant sloth bears on their heads and hoping they get caught as well (the beasts, I mean). If it doesn't... the plan for now is to use more bears. It's not like I have a shortage of them.

The minecart cannons are mostly finished, and as soon as the work on the water supply is done I'll have to start work on linking all the components. It's going to be a daunting task, to say the least.

The dwarves somehow engraved empty space while working on the drainage shafts. It's a shame it's not an image of a nothing or two, but I guess a bear being killed will have to suffice.

I'm considering reorganising this story - dividing it into chapters, putting a table of contents in the first post, that sort of thing. It will have to wait until I'm done with the finals.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 04, 2014, 11:23:29 am »

Epic.

PS How long has it been since you started this fort?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2014, 02:58:39 pm »

The dwarves somehow engraved empty space while working on the drainage shafts. It's a shame it's not an image of a nothing or two, but I guess a bear being killed will have to suffice.

That sounds so... Wirejady.

Also, what anniversary goes without multiple sacrifices? Bears and Forgotten Beasts should suffice for now, but something more dangerous and sentient must be absolutely thrown into a bloody mix!
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 05, 2014, 07:54:02 am »

PS How long has it been since you started this fort?

It started in 126, and we're in 201 now, which means - provided I haven't just made an embarrassing error - 75 years + a few months.

That sounds so... Wirejady.

Also, what anniversary goes without multiple sacrifices? Bears and Forgotten Beasts should suffice for now, but something more dangerous and sentient must be absolutely thrown into a bloody mix!

Oh, sacrifices are a different thing. There is a pitchblende drawbridge in a remote area of the fort, and several z-levels below, on an obsidian platform - a weapon trap filled with large serrated steel discs and a few impractical artifact weapons. It's situated right above the place where Radavi's skeleton lies. The water there is full of severed body parts of the sacrificial animals. I tossed a few dozen llamas in here since I don't need them now that I have elk birds and rutherers.

The only "more dangerous and sentient" thing I have is my legendary warriors, and I'm not going to expose them to the Ebola-has-got-nothing-on-this syndrome. Population growth is at 0, and only because I'm trying hard to keep everyone as safe as possible.

And by the way, Forgotten Beasts don't enter the map any more. I must have exhausted their population.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2014, 02:04:15 pm »

I think at this point you can just leave this fort alone for a hundred years, come back, and it will be fine. I still can't believe this is your first fort, BTW.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2014, 08:36:35 am »

If I could bother to learn how to use workflow, then yeah, that might work. On the other hand, however, the booze (over 16000 units) would last only a bit over 5 years, assuming 4 units per season per dwarf.

BUT I HAVE PROJECTS TO BUILD

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2014, 08:40:51 am »

... what you need to do is run this save through DF Story Maker and post the results. The fort is bloody incredible.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2014, 09:07:20 am »

Never heard of it, what does it do?

Also thanks :)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:19:36 am by Hetairos »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2014, 09:23:30 am »

It reads your gamelog.txt and allows you to filter out announcements you don't like, creating a new, shorter file detailing the history of your fort from embark to the save, assuming you haven't deleted gamelog.txt at some point. For example, you can filter out everything except combat logs, births/immigration, deaths, invaders, and artifacts, basically making a much shorter summary of everything that's happened in your fort. That way you can pick through the history (or upload, and have other people pick through the history) of the fort without interesting happenings being impossible to find due to sheer volume.
You can find it here if this sounds interesting to you. Although don't feel obligated to.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2014, 04:34:02 pm »

Hah, it's great to see this Fort is still going.

Oh, sacrifices are a different thing. There is a pitchblende drawbridge in a remote area of the fort, and several z-levels below, on an obsidian platform - a weapon trap filled with large serrated steel discs and a few impractical artifact weapons. It's situated right above the place where Radavi's skeleton lies. The water there is full of severed body parts of the sacrificial animals. I tossed a few dozen llamas in here since I don't need them now that I have elk birds and rutherers.

And also still demented. I like your brand of crazy, it's a practical kind of crazy.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2014, 11:35:40 am »

It reads your gamelog.txt and allows you to filter out announcements you don't like, creating a new, shorter file detailing the history of your fort from embark to the save, assuming you haven't deleted gamelog.txt at some point. For example, you can filter out everything except combat logs, births/immigration, deaths, invaders, and artifacts, basically making a much shorter summary of everything that's happened in your fort. That way you can pick through the history (or upload, and have other people pick through the history) of the fort without interesting happenings being impossible to find due to sheer volume.
You can find it here if this sounds interesting to you. Although don't feel obligated to.

The log seems almost untouched (46,6 MB). I'm going to toy around with that tool later on, maybe put something up as a part of the story's reorganisation. I haven't tried anything yet, but it looks promising.

I like your brand of crazy, it's a practical kind of crazy.

Practical crazy is best crazy!  ;D

Three more Forgotten Beasts were captured; three more, plus an ape devil, are still at large. Almost all cages are now covered in webs, so it shouldn't take much more time. One of the bears survived by getting trapped itself and is now stuck in a hole together with four eldritch abominations, amidst rotting corpses, skeletons, blood and webs, surrounded by walls made of half-molten, red-hot rock. And occasionally watching a few of its kin being brutally murdered by said abominations.

The gem miners had a bit of a fight with rutherers, and one hauler was killed. The soldiers had to hunt them down on the narrow wooden walkways over a contaminated lake. Fortunately no one dodged the wrong way.

A new mayor was elected: Alath Tipmerchants, mother of 23. She and her husband had been given a special tomb, usually granted to military heroes, for keeping the population up. She likes boxes and bags and menacing spikes, so mandates should be easy to fulfil. Also she apparently killed a Forgotten Beast once. I expect her to hold the office for quite a while.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21