Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 94557 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The (not so) last stand of Wirejade [SPOILERS]
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2013, 04:32:44 pm »

I see you are prepared. And lucky to have a Tigerman, I haven't seen one of those in ages!
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2013, 09:31:42 am »

I see you are prepared. And lucky to have a Tigerman, I haven't seen one of those in ages!

Honestly, the fort was saved more by sheer dumb luck than anything else. Had things taken an ugly turn, I'd have tried to lock the cascade down as effectively as possible (putting doors everywhere pays off sometimes) and hoped the casualties weren't too high. In the worst case I could have rebuilt the fort with whoever was in the forges at the moment. I have some food and drinks stashed there so the smiths don't have to take a trip a 100 z-levels up, and there should be some seeds in the stills.

As for tigermen... if you thought dwarves are the masters of suicidal stupidity, tigermen would make you change your mind. They are well capable of dying of dehydration on the way to the water source, even though there was nothing to stop them from getting a drink before. Or taking a nap on a weapon trap filled with large serrated discs.

Spoiler: Rest in pieces, Mosus (click to show/hide)

And they take up the coffins prepared for dwarves, unless you forbid pet burial, but then there's a risk of Urist throwing a tantrum because his/her pet cavy is rotting in the dining hall.

Since the fort is no longer waiting for migrants to repopulate it, and the number of citizens is going to be slowly decreasing for now, I have to rearrange the economy a bit. For example, I can no longer rely on imported leather, so I relocated the butcheries, tanneries and leather works closer to each other and disabled hauling labours for a few tanners. The efficiency has been significantly improved, but mass producing leather items is still not an option. I want to have some leather to spare in case a leatherworker goes moody. The complete overhaul of the food and booze industry is going to follow, since honestly it's quite a mess now. Whenever I thought I needed a new kitchen, still or whatever I put it anywhere there was some space, with little regard for logistics.

The surplus quivers and bone crossbows can be sold to elves. Wooden shields will have to be disposed of in a different way. Crops will be left alone for now, until I take care of the livestock. After a few incidents the dragon-powered incinerator is finally working as intended, though the corpses could burn down more quickly. The amount of animals is now below 900. I guess it's kind of a humiliation for poor Nganiz Warmglow the Flare of Jades to serve as a part of the dwarven trash disposal system.

Bushmasters were immolated after I noticed I have almost 6000 bushmaster eggs. In other circumstances this would've probably been a blessing, but my food stocks are overflowing. And when the dwarves leave the eggs in the nest, this happens, because I modded them to be able to breed.

And I have enough creatures pathfinding already, even if they don't have a lethal venom.

The Shipping Chamber caused a few friendships to form. Good for a start. The biggest obstacle is waiting for enough dwarves to assemble.

FBs have been exceptionally quiet lately, but I was lucky to have the steel cockroach spawn in hell and not in the first caverns, for example.

I wanted to obsidianise a lower z-level of the magma pool, and started with caving in the floor above the upper layer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In hindsight, I should have prepared a way to immediately start forming obsidian on the lower level.

At least nobody died. I'm not even sure why I had wanted to do that.

For some reason, the dwarves keep carrying various refuse to the garbage dump, even though it was never designated for dumping. Is something wrong with the standing orders? I'll set everything to "save" and see what happens.

I already have the screenshots for the cannon schematics; now I only have to label all the elements. I realised that if I want to aim them at demon spawn points I can't put the loading system below the cannon, since it's undiggable slade floor. I have an idea how to load and return the minecarts with a contraption above the cannon, however. Testing pending.

EDIT: I found something strange. The stocks screen displays some items apparently belonging to a caravan. Trying to zoom in leads to empty, nondescript tiles near the edge of the map. This might have something to do with the lack of dwarven caravans and migrants. Does anyone have an explanation?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:49:34 am by Hetairos »

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2013, 08:48:45 pm »

I'm alive! Slaughterhouse School duties and other issues have kept me away from the game for a while; moreover, most effort was invested into tedious work towards large projects, so there wasn't much to describe despite lots of things being done.

Testing revealed another design flaw in the minecart cannons. As it turns out, normal downward ramps don't work properly when submerged - dropping a minecart from above doesn't make them accelerate in any direction. I have to replace them in every single cannon with impulse ramps, and that means the entire water inflow control system requires an overhaul. At least that should be the last change to the design. The section responsible for firing the projectile works, and the one returning the minecart to the starting point is too simple to be broken. Time to build a massive pump battery and have things fixed. There goes another in-game year, at least...

Tigermen continue to be a pest. Even long since dead and burned in dragonfire, they keep claiming coffins. It's infuriating to waste perfectly good electrum sarcophagi this way. It seems I have to make some rock coffins for them to claim instead. A crude solution, but it should work.

Congratulations to the sneakiest kobold thief ever, Libipogin, who walked straight onto the barracks of the most elite squad in the fortress.

My last legendary miner, Ineth Archstroked, somehow ended up surrounded by fire caused by a Forgotten Beast, so I designated him a way to safety. He decided to put off digging it out until being set on fire. It took him 8 tiles of digging to bleed out. Dwarven survival instinct at its best, I guess.

Thanks to the wiki, magma flow tiles next to raw adamantine are no longer an issue. Designating a construction on them while they're clear of magma means it can be built even after it's submerged again, and the construction's presence allows the tile to be obsidianised normally. Once all the adamantine is excavated, it'll be time to go even deeper...

I've discovered something disturbing about the civ's history. See, Unib Oilomen and Kogan Steelchants were both queens of the Whip of Beaches. The bone carvers of Wirejade made many figurines of their ascension to the throne. No one, however, depicted this.

The presence of humans with dwarven names is intriguing, too. I have no clue how I haven't noticed this before.

A few more weapons were named, the most notable of which is Balancedfences the Whiskered Calm, the ☼adamantine battle axe☼ wielded by Rakust Paintedbeached the Crypts of Liberation. Eleven notable kills, including 10 FBs and a demon, plus two steam devils listed as "other" kills. Rakust herself is responsible for the deaths of 9 of the beasts, and thus has surpassed the achievements of Sakzul Riddlegirded the Clean Call. This merits a badass custom job title. Suggestions welcome.

Behold the Roast of Roasts! It's a stack of 252 roasts made of pig tallow and quarry bush leaves (x18), all masterfully or exceptionally minced.

Huh. I look away from the game for a moment and when I get back there is a dead magma crab in the forges.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2013, 11:28:12 am »

And THAT is why you leave war animals randomly running around your fort.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2013, 03:47:33 pm »

And THAT is why you leave war animals randomly running around your fort.

And equip all civilians with a crossbow and a shield. Speaking of war animals, I have an almost complete collection of predatory felines. All in all, a few hundred war-trained creatures, and I plan on modding giant eagles to be war trainable, since it's a bit odd to see them run away from danger like they were guineafowl.

Another legendary miner was pushed into magma by 1/7 water and instantly encased in obsidian.

33 screw pumps took half a year to build. Time to pull the lever and hope for the best.

Oh, I almost forgot I have a new mayor - Ustuth Torchdeer, the fort's broker, who likes backpacks and ballista arrows.

The fourth mood in a row is a farmer. The three former produced absolutely useless shale trinkets. At this point I'd accept even another bone shield. What did he grab? Ooh, tower-cap logs. Such a rebel.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2013, 04:14:14 pm »

What and how did Rakust fight? Considered stealing the name of one of the FBs as her job title?

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2013, 01:16:59 pm »

Nothing better than internet connection failure to keep me from responding.

What and how did Rakust fight? Considered stealing the name of one of the FBs as her job title?

Here's the kill list, slightly updated. As for her fighting style, she'd often walk up to a beast already attacked by, say, a swordsdwarf and unceremoniously chop it up into a few pieces. Go, team. I'm thinking about calling her the "Killstealer".

By the way, your sparring advice seems to be paying off. The soldiers now spar regularly, and the combat skills of all increased noticeably, up to Professional level (part of it should probably be credited to DFHack fixes, of course).

A dwarf decided to shoot a bolt at a demon down in Hell while retrieving a piece of raw adamantine. This pissed it off. But that problem was solved with relatively few deaths.

Then another dwarf got the same wonderful idea, and the others decided the best course of action is to keep going through the artifact door the second demon was banging at while fetching socks and booze.

12 13 14 dead in total. Ingish Merchantwhirled the Line of Dye, a professional hammerdwarf, talented at other combat skills and thus one of the most skilled defenders Wirejade ever had was struck down by Mournfulwails the Sewer of Stalkers. Atir Judgewalled the Craterous Meal of Trade (who killed 4 Forgotten Beasts, 6 kobold thieves and a minotaur) started bleeding heavily for no apparent reason and passed away as well. This is truly a black day for the fortress, one of the blackest in 20 years.

EDIT: 15 now. An axedwarf died in the hospital to his wounds.

At least pumping is going smoothly now, if you don't count the 4 drowned idiots.

There will be a bit of a mess to clean up, though.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:16:16 am by Hetairos »

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2013, 01:25:38 pm »

So I've recently started new project of considerable scope, and it's mostly about launching large amounts of war-trained animals into the second cavern level in order to clean it of FBs without exposing dwarves to the danger. There are 5 of them: two with deadly dust, two fire-breathers, and one relatively harmless salt dinosaur. There were two more, but ended up shot by marksdwarves. I've already found out that one dust-beast causes the entire body to rot, so I can't just assemble the military and clear out the caverns.

I'm going to employ a device called a "double minecart shotgun" (I think), which basically makes the minecart with a cage inside hit a fortification at a high velocity, making the cage fly out of it and hit another fortification, spilling its living contents. Most of the cargo doesn't survive, at least in my design, but I have a ridiculous quantity of more or less deadly critters, which makes them fairly expendable. Hopefully a dozen or two of giant sloth bears will soften the beasts up a bit.

And now it's time for a bit of a military showcase. Two soldiers gained their titles: the first one is Momuz Granitelessons the Teal Bride of Hawks. The "teal" part is kind of fitting, since he's a swordswarf. I gave him that sword as a reward.

The second one is Lór Empirearmors the Roasted Spring of Bastions, a veteran of the war against demons. Shot four of them, and two FBs as well, but the game treats demons who haven't gained a name as "other kills", so they don't count towards a title while kobold thieves do. He got a new shiny artifact adamantine crossbow.

And finally, Ingiz Scouredmachine, the most skilled soldier in the entire fort. Accomplished macedwarf, legendary fighter. Unbelievably strong - even though the killing blow in the battle with Mournfulwails was dealt by someone else, Ingiz had smashed the demons legs off one by one, with single strikes before that. He also doesn't care about anything anymore and is missing his right arm, due to an unfortunate encounter with a FB quite a while ago. Tharumi, I think, for anyone who remembers. Oh, and he's apparently a son of a dude-turned-werebeast. A werehedgehog, to be precise.

Dishmab Axeact the... Livid Beguiler-Bone of Lancers. What. Anyway, she has just shot the salt dino with a mangled bone bolt and poof, it died. An artifact feather wood crossbow might have helped.

The bottom of one of the adamantine spires was reached and the hole floored over so nothing unpleasant gets through for now. Another one is being worked on.

And for the end of this update, a true hallmark of a long-lasting fortress. A dwarf dying of old age.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2013, 11:24:53 pm »

Heh, yay, more updates!

I've got to say (yet again) I am -incredibly- jealous of the fact that this was your first fort. x_x

You are a god among Dwarves, sir, and I look forwards to your updates.

*takes off hat*

Rest in peace, Asmel Lolokenos. May Armok favor you in the next life.

(Also, did you figure out why no more Migrants / Caravans were coming anymore?)

(Aaand what stage is your fortress at? Baron, Duke, Earl or King?)
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2013, 08:36:27 pm »

Heh, yay, more updates!

I've got to say (yet again) I am -incredibly- jealous of the fact that this was your first fort. x_x

You are a god among Dwarves, sir, and I look forwards to your updates.

*takes off hat*

Rest in peace, Asmel Lolokenos. May Armok favor you in the next life.

(Also, did you figure out why no more Migrants / Caravans were coming anymore?)

(Aaand what stage is your fortress at? Baron, Duke, Earl or King?)

Why thank you.  :)

As for the migrants - not exactly. It seems that something went wrong when the caravan was leaving one year, since there is a lot of caravan items scattered near the edge of the map, only accessible through the stocks menu. Dwarves can pick them up only if I have them designated for dumping, but afterwards they show up in the game just fine. It seems related to the immigration problem, but I have no clue how exactly.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix that and I have no idea what caused all that in the first place. I tried clearing the edge of the map of trees, but to no avail. No migrants, no caravans, only stacks of cave lobsters in a highly unusual quantum state. I've even posted the issue on the Dwarf Mode board, but it appears to be a rare bug.

I had already had both a duke and a queen when I began relating the story. Both have been dead for a while now. The duke, Kogsak Eyeringed, died with the other smiths when the demons assaulted the forges, with an axe in hand, but weapons created by his hand still protect the fortress. See this masterwork sword in the previous update? It's his work. He had also made a spear of the same quality and material, and with a similarly impressive kill list.

The queen, Adil Floorbalance, died after taking the wrong turn when running away from a beast with a body-liquefying syndrome way back in 152, according to figurines made by Wirejade's bone carvers. She was caught by the very edge of a dust cloud...

Work on the new statue garden has lately begun. Expect some neat Stonesense screenshots once it's finished. I'll probably have to set up some quarries, because mass production of mechanisms exhausted my stone stockpiles.

A recent battle with a fire-breather in the caverns would've ended without casualties, had two dwarves not decided to stand around in the fire it caused. I guess units can't path through smoke in order to stop them from running into fires, only it doesn't work as intended in certain cases. There goes an expert hammerdorf.

Current population is 205. I'm still slabbing the ghosts spawned by Radavi's rampage and subsequent demonic assault. Damn flame clowns setting everything on fire. It's been 26 years!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2013, 04:05:17 am »

Just to say it myself: it is incredibly awesome (and deadly) fortress, built entirely from !!FUN!!
Considering that it is your first attempt, as well as the amount dwarves and deaths...

As for the bug, there were some curcumstances which caused similar problems. One was related to the overburdened dead counter, which was successfully cleared with DFHack, but I have a feeling that you have already encountered such problem. Another fortress got the not-so-ghostly dwarf, who ceased all future births altogether. Maybe it was true for migrants as well, but the fort civilisation already died by that time.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2013, 10:08:59 am »

As for the bug, there were some curcumstances which caused similar problems. One was related to the overburdened dead counter, which was successfully cleared with DFHack, but I have a feeling that you have already encountered such problem. Another fortress got the not-so-ghostly dwarf, who ceased all future births altogether. Maybe it was true for migrants as well, but the fort civilisation already died by that time.

Yeah, fix/dead-units has already saved me once. That bug is actually related to the sum of all four sections of the units screen, doesn't stop caravans, and prevents the game from displaying the "no migrants" message every season. Toady himself has acknowledged it, and is apparently going to make the cap settable (see the Bay 12 Twitter account).

You might be on to something about the ghost. There is one I can't find on the slabbing list, and I think there were no new births in a while either. Might be a caravan guard fried by a dragon. Was the issue dealt with? Should DFHack's clear-ghostly solve it?

EDIT: A girl by the name of Asob Helmmurders has just been born. Kinda shy, but has quite good physical stats. However, it complicates the situation even more.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 02:36:36 pm by Hetairos »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2013, 03:57:35 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93279
The whole game was centered around children problem. Bug, as later deduced, was somehow related to an abducted child, who remained at map as a "ghostly" data, with nothing actually at his final place, being that of abduction.

But your children situation is different, as well as version (not that it really matters). Perhaps, something happened with mountainhomes. Like, you could have severly depleted your own civilisation resourses by recent migration waves. Not sure about this, as caravans would spam regardless as long as civ itself is alive. Or maybe you encountered something similar in nature, yet highly improbable...

You should try and slab missing ghosts with DFHack, but it may not work.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2013, 03:25:51 pm »

Bloody good Fort, well worth the re-read.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2013, 06:33:44 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93279
The whole game was centered around children problem. Bug, as later deduced, was somehow related to an abducted child, who remained at map as a "ghostly" data, with nothing actually at his final place, being that of abduction.

But your children situation is different, as well as version (not that it really matters). Perhaps, something happened with mountainhomes. Like, you could have severly depleted your own civilisation resourses by recent migration waves. Not sure about this, as caravans would spam regardless as long as civ itself is alive. Or maybe you encountered something similar in nature, yet highly improbable...

You should try and slab missing ghosts with DFHack, but it may not work.

It hasn't, not that it's much of a surprise. I have only noticed that the scattered caravan items are similar in status to those "hidden" by water flow, but marked red in the stocks screen instead of yellow. Maybe even the gear of the caravan guards had been left here. I'm dumping it all and hoping that will work. In the worst case, I get some free goods. In time, I might even become able to rely on natural population growth, but another caravan willing to take away my bone garbage crafts can't be replaced that easily.

Anyway, thank you for giving me an excuse to read the famous Saga of Weatherwires. Man, how hard do my storytelling skills suck in comparison to this...

'Tis time for celebration! With the passing of the year 176, Wirejade turns 50 years old. I guess I should deliver something special for this occasion, so I announce that

THE MINECART WATERCANNONS ARE FINALLY WORKING!

Apparently having a gear assembly power the rollers at the start of two neighbouring cannons and the minecarts in both switching it off so they don't immediately roll back where they came from is a bad combination. Gearboxes toggle on every signal sent, so sending two means they remain in the same state as before, defeating the whole purpose. I was close to disassembling everything and putting a tile more between the cannons, but alternating the length of the uppermost sections (so there is 1 gearbox/1 starting roller) is a simpler and more effective solution, which was subsequently verified by experiments. The amount of water fired depends heavily on how the water supply is designed, length of each cannon's reloading section and number of active cannons. I achieved about 40 globs of water simultaneously fired from 3 of them. Detailed schematics in the link.

The obsidian tower is getting a sterling silver roof. Good progress is being made on the statue garden, even if shortages of building materials hamper it from time to time. New minecart routes were created to transport clay to the magma kilns and crafts to the depot. Hopefully it will let me drown the elves in bone/wax/horn/whatever crap more effectively. At least the bone carvers appear to have put a dent in the mountains of animal byproducts lying around the fort. Meanwhile, setting the farms to be cultivated one season per year only resulted in the plant stocks remaining at a steady about 10500. It looks like I'll have to turn off agriculture completely for the next... few decades or so, except for rope reeds and pig tails. Dyes are not a problem. Pressing industry was restarted, and now dwarves have mead to drink.

I've never really bothered to check just how much of finished goods do I have. I ended up with over 1500 totems, and about a thousand of each of the craft types. And that's not counting the absurd amounts of bone bolts. Lesson for today: Don't go overboard with your meat industry, even if you like variety. Seriously, just don't. Otherwise, this happens.

The struggle to reclaim the second cavern level continues. The unreliable double shotgun was replaced with a new system which has yet to be tested. Mirise, a dust beast, hit a wall at high velocity while fighting the latest delivery of war animals, killing itself. Marksdwarves are more successful - they shot two firebreathers, Ospun and Uzbad Holecrabs the Nightmare of Midnight respectively in the throat and both lungs, as well as another FB called Stukos and some vomit blob. However, inorganic beasts can't be killed with bolts, and even the organic ones aren't easy to shoot to death. The occasional errors with equipping ammo make it even worse. And for some reason, wildlife returned to the cavern, which means its reclamation is even more important than before. Crundles could make a nice source of target practice, and a giant cave spider has been spotted there, too...

Speaking of FBs, they have mostly been spawning in the second cavern level, and any others were dealt with swiftly and surely. One was made of quite unusual material.

Calcareous ooze is a type of oceanic soil; I don't think I've ever got a beast made of soil before. As expected, it died quickly. But some time later, this showed up.

Ooze contaminating my moat. I'm fairly sure no dwarves were around when it appeared. Does the game spawn contaminants in places they have never actually reached? It would explain the antman ichor everywhere. Two werebeasts showed up as well: one wounded an alpaca and ran away, another encountered a crossbow-armed dwarf, who scored a lucky shot to its throat. How many more are stuck on this island? There aren't even any human settlements, only elves and kobolds.

Two more kobold thieves had been caught sneaking through the barracks, between the training soldiers. Needless to say, it didn't end well for the kobolds You'd think they would notice it might be a bad idea after carefully opening the door and seeing a bunch of heavily armed dwarves and pools of blood on the floor, but no. Another one somehow walked into the fortress proper and snatched an artifact adamantine figurine, but died mauled by a giant eagle.

Ingiz Scouredmachine became a mace lord, and one Zasit Waxycrystal a hammer lord. Since the military in Wirejade is kind of low in numbers, and some of the soldiers are of advanced age (Ingiz, for example, is over 120) I introduced a new recruitment policy. Every dwarf who comes of age must have his/her physical attributes checked. Those with above average stats are to be conscripted. So far I've got a new competent hammerdwarf; three more recruits are still dabbling at their respective weapon skills. The policy was inspired by discovering that one of the hammerdwarves, Rimtar Groovedpulleys, was born and trained from scratch in the fortress to professional levels, meaning that the whole project is feasible. Rimtar is about 40, but I don't know how long ago did I conscript him.

The recent artifacts have been thoroughly unimpressive: a bone left gauntlet, an animal trap, two splints, one of them made of adamantine, a shoe, and this. Note the name.

There seems to be a bug regarding creatures standing on top of floor hatches - they open after a while, no matter if the creature in question was going down through the hatch or not. If it's yet another war cheetah, it causes annoying report spam. Things get worse if it's a dwarf carrying something heavy.

Oh, and does anyone remember how I installed an artifact door in the entrance into the well chamber above the forges to hold any FBs inside should they fly through the opening? Probably not, it was one of the first updates after reconquering the caverns. I myself barely remembered it, until it actually served its purpose about 20 years later.

With the year 177 comes the 30th anniversary of Radavi's rampage. Time to toss in some sacrifices.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21