Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Workshop entrance, Trap or Door?  (Read 1525 times)

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
Workshop entrance, Trap or Door?
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:59:03 pm »

Alright. Usually I put a Doorway in front of my Workshop's entryway, so that any dwarf that fails an artifact and goes Berserk/Stark-Raving-Mad/Melancholy will be trapped in the room until they starve to death. However, I was thinking that perhaps I should put a weapon trap instead, so that if Urist McStabhappy attempts to leave the room, he will be sliced in half by ten serrated steel disks.

However, I don't know if that also affects Dwarves that go all Urist McSuicide and Urist McNutjob, so... I guess I'm asking if I should have both a trap and a door, so that any Berserk Dwarves get properly sliced up, while at the same time I can just starve out the Stark-Raving-Mad and Melancholy Dwarves.

EDIT: On a secondary note, I'm wondering if Kobold Theives are susceptible to a spear trap attached to a repeating lever, or are they immune to those as well?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:01:28 pm by Foamybeard »
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop entrance, Trap or Door?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:08 pm »

Well, as long as you account for random Urist McSleepyhead passing out on the trap tile, you should be good. I don't see why both couldn't hurt, just as an added safeguard.

Or you could just lock them in when they go insane, and then build the trap, but that doesn't seem as Fun as the risk of Urist McLegendaryWeaponsmith falling asleep where he stands and getting sliced -n- diced.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:08:57 pm »

a repeating upright spike trap in your entrance could lead to some serious fun if your own dwarves decide to path across it when hunting, fishing etc

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:15:36 pm »

a repeating upright spike trap in your entrance could lead to some serious fun if your own dwarves decide to path across it when hunting, fishing etc

I'm in an Evil Mountian/Badland biome, so I don't worry much about my Dwarves coming or going for the most part. I have a walled in area for them to fish, and a Pig Farm for their meat, along with a (in my opinion) a cleverly done entrance that is blocked by a flowing river that is locked and drained by floodgates, and only passable via bridge. I'm just thinking that in case the Kobolds come inforce, perhaps I could kill them off via meatgrinder.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:17:53 pm »

Simple answer is that the door or wall is best. Weapon traps are double edged yes, I'd avoid them for the friendly fire reason alone. And you can just forbid the door and let him die. I've only had a few crazies, not enough to make sense blocking all my workshops up, but just make sure you have livestock or fresh kills on hand for those crazy bone requirements.

Your entrance sounds elaborate, yes, but its not the most efficient. As for the walled in area, I do that to when I NEED to have access to materials. But I find the caravans are great for everything, especially since I slaughter all the the dwarven ones.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 04:02:08 am »

Benefits of weapon traps:
A lot more fun.

Downsides:
Much more expensive than just doors, with about the same function.
Possible friendly fire (although some might treat that as a plus)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 04:13:22 am »

Pff, planning for failure is defeatism. I do my level best to make the mood succeed, which means about one in a hundred mooders will go mad (almost always someone absolutely wanting to make a shell craft on a map with no shell-bearing creatures catchable). If that rare insane dwarf happens to go berserk, i just deal with it, and war dogs and a quick-response squad of poorly skilled militia, preferably with some marksdwarfs in the mix, have always proved adequate. I fail to see the point in gumming up my workshop architecture for an eventuality that hardly ever happens _and_ is not that hard to deal with even in the unfortunate case it occurs.

As to the question - non-berserk insane dwarfs are still members of your fort, so shouldn't trigger traps. Friendly fire is pretty much a non-issue anyway - a dwarf needs to be unconscious or otherwise incapacitated (stunned?) right on top of the trap square to get attacked. You can fill much-travelled corridors in the middle of your fort with serrated disc traps and no dwarf will come to harm in decades.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 05:53:49 am »

Pff, planning for failure is defeatism.
I cannot agree. Dwarf fortress is all about planning for the most spectacular failure...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:35:52 am »

Nope. You expect failure, but you do your best to prevent it instead of only trying to lower the cost. For an example, take a natural waterfall. It provides natural defences and the option of applying mist to your dwarfs without the need for machinery, but you're facing the siren call of the shallow water near the lip inviting dwarfs to path through the river, with predictably messy results. Preventing desaster would be walling off the shallow part and adding a solid bridge as a safe means to cross. Planning for failure would be leaving the waterfall as is but instead lining up a bunch of slabs in the masonry workshop before anybody comes to harm.

To me, secreting away workshops and making them lockable is tantamount to making slabs instead of walling off the waterfall. The priority with moods should be making sure that the mood succeeds, since that can keep between 95% and 100% of all moody dwarfs sane. With proper attention to moods, berserkers are an afterthought and not a serious issue - your average failed-mood berserker will be some random kid or skill-less peasant who can't do real harm anyway.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 01:36:53 pm »

(almost always someone absolutely wanting to make a shell craft on a map with no shell-bearing creatures catchable)
Create some water and fishing zones away from any river or cavern tiles, and you should start finding stuff. A while back I had a shell mood and fished in the surface pools and cavern to no avail, but much later, once I'd dug out a cistern elsewhere and decided to take advantage of the lack of water life in order to passively build Agility on uselessly slow dwarves, I started pulling up turtles.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 06:26:04 pm »

You can fill much-travelled corridors in the middle of your fort with serrated disc traps and no dwarf will come to harm in decades.
This would require you to have enough beds to go around though. Elsewise you are very likely to have a dwarf decide to sleep ont he trap and be sliced to ribbons.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 06:37:11 pm »

Wouldn't a cage trap be a much safer choice?  Then at worst you just release Urist McNappy (perhaps after letting him think about how stupid he is for a bit).  Or will cage traps not capture berserk dwarves? 

I do have to also agree with Larix that I've never had a dwarf injured by a weapon trap, and I put them all over the place as decorations...

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 07:20:10 pm »

Cage trap is maybe an interesting idea, cause then you could release it into a safe spot for target practice
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 09:00:39 pm »

I second the cage trap suggestion, there are all sorts of uses for a berserker
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 11:03:32 pm »

Although I believe beserk dwarves would eventually starve/dehydrate before you could release them on a siege, and they'd usually be underarmed and cut down in seconds by goblins anyway.

Many other uses for them yeah, but bear in mind they do eventually starve/dehydrate....except vampires and werebeasts. Then there's just more fun.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: [1] 2