Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Workshop entrance, Trap or Door?  (Read 1521 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Workshop entrance, Trap or Door?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 08:56:36 am »

Many other uses for them yeah, but bear in mind they do eventually starve/dehydrate....except vampires and werebeasts. Then there's just more fun.
Berserk werebeasts will strip themselves of all clothings leaving themselves vulnerable for 26 days of the 28 every month. A berserk steel clad spearlord vampire would however, be very very interesting.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 06:31:13 am »

Cage trap also offers a completely consequence-free way of getting rid of berserkers - Sell them! I remember someone selling his insane king to the elves...

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 08:50:38 am »

Except I don't think you can do that. Remember, there's a bug that causes dwarves, when selling non-tame creatures (like captured goblins) to a caravan, the dwarves will forget to bring the creature along with the cage, effectively releasing them instead of hauling them off.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 11:59:58 am »

Cage trap also offers a completely consequence-free way of getting rid of berserkers - Sell them! I remember someone selling his insane king to the elves...
If you drop the cage into the magma sea (or someplace else where it will never be found) will unhappiness eventually be triggered in friends/relatives?  I think I remember that a creature that is missing long enough will eventually be marked as dead, but I'm not sure.  I know at one point this was not the case, which was actually a pain because you couldn't memorialize dwarves unless you found their bodies, but I don't remember if Toady fixed this by just allowing you to memorialize missing dwarves or by causing creatures missing over X amount of time to be considered dead.

If a permanently "missing" dwarves doesn't trigger bad thoughts, then disposing of cages would allow you to exploit this.  Even if bad thoughts over the loss of a dwarf are triggered, you will at least remove all thoughts from any dwarves witnessing the death or decay of the dwarf.  In fact, I think in my next fort I will try to work out a way of dumping all corpses in the magma sea.  It just seems proper (even if it turns out to be wildly impractical, and not beneficial in any way)...
Pages: 1 [2]