Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51669 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #510 on: February 25, 2015, 10:40:24 pm »

Soylent 1.4

Huge update.  No more oil blend.  Now it's just a powder.  Plus some other pretty significant changes.  And they have two new facilities, increasing their production capacity x50.

This shit is taking off.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 25, 2015, 10:50:45 pm »

Damn. As soon as they get the new order turnaround time down to a month or less, I'm gonna have to get in on this.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 26, 2015, 12:25:33 am »

PTW
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 26, 2015, 12:49:42 am »

Where'd you see that? Most people interchange solid and soylent. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 26, 2015, 07:51:59 am »

Why would that happen?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 26, 2015, 08:45:31 am »

Even if that happened, which... I'm not sure how it could, though I'll concede it sounds *possible*...

Even if; all that means is that you don't do an all soylent diet, which it sounds like you wouldn't want to do anyway.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 26, 2015, 09:03:21 pm »

I do know that going on a liquid diet can be unhealthy due to a lack of fiber, but i'm not sure how it could prevent you from eating solid food. I'd like a solid citation on that, if possible.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 26, 2015, 09:24:22 pm »

Relatively certain it's been said by the creator, as well as folks that have been trying it, that using soylant as a supplement and/or still regularly eating normal food is perfectly fine, though. There may be complications if you completely replace your diet with it and never ever eat anything solid, but... you don't have to do that.

Or if fiber's an issue, just... add some fiber supplements to your diet or whatever those things are. Or just regular food with fiber. Whatevs.

Beyond that, I would say with a pretty strong degree of certainty that it's perfectly possible to get back to a pre-soylant state later on in regards to eating other stuff -- long term liquid diets and how to wean off them aren't exactly new things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 26, 2015, 10:41:16 pm »

I find it's really difficult to go for more than a day on nothing but Soylent.  My stomach feels the need to have something in it.  It's a strange sensation.  I won't be hungry, but I'll just feel the need to have something less liquid in my stomach.

So I've normally been doing the Soylent for breakfast & lunch / normal supper thing.  The same usage that diet shakes have been marketing for decades... but it works.  I feel much lighter and sharper during the day for not weighing myself down with food, and it's helped control my appetite a lot.  I used to eat a whole pizza by myself.  Now one glass of Soylent satisfies me, and I don't get the urge to over-eat so much when I do eat normal food.  Unless I'm stress eating, which I admit I've been doing often lately.

I've also been unable to eat breakfast for most of my life.  I just can't handle eating for the first couple hours that I'm awake.  But Soylent right away in the morning doesn't give me any trouble at all.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 26, 2015, 11:13:18 pm »

Yeah, I tried nothing but Soylent for a day. I found that I had to keep taking sips to stay satisfied or my stomach would start to feel really empty. Not just hungry but empty "you need solid foods badly" empty. Easier to have a cup for breakfast and normal food for lunch or dinner.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 28, 2015, 12:26:53 pm »

Interestingly, the webpage states that soylent contains isomaltulose, which is half glucose half fructose. The amount is given in grams, but I failed to find the reference quantity. Maybe the 459 grams package size, mentioned somewhere else, is implied here. Soylent is supposed to contain roughly 155 g of carbon hydrates out of which 43 are isomaltulose. Therefore, a little less than 1/6, or ~21g, of the carbon hydrates in soylent are really fructose. A can of coke (368g/12 fl. ounces) contains ~17g fructose.

If this is the daily dosage, then I would not call it healthy at all. Diabetes, obesity, hypertension and more side effects come to mind. I am not an expert on nutrition, but the main difference between junk food and good food is to my knowledge the presence of fructose and the absence of fiber in the former and the reversed situation in the latter.

If you have some time, I can recommend to hear R. Lustig on the matter of fructose and fibre. Disclaimer: facts appear only late, maybe after about 20-30 minutes into the video, but they are very enlightening.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:28:46 pm by Evil Knievel »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 28, 2015, 12:32:25 pm »

Well, I'm given to understand Soylent's got adequate fiber, and a can and a quarter of coke is your entire fructose intake for the day from the sound of it. That seems significantly less alarming. A lot of the problems with soda come from overindulgence, and from adding it on top of a full day's nutrition. But then, I haven't done the science.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 28, 2015, 12:49:09 pm »

Interestingly, the webpage states that soylent contains isomaltulose, which is half glucose half fructose. The amount is given in grams, but I failed to find the reference quantity. Maybe the 459 grams package size, mentioned somewhere else, is implied here. Soylent is supposed to contain roughly 155 g of carbon hydrates out of which 43 are isomaltulose. Therefore, a little less than 1/6, or ~21g, of the carbon hydrates in soylent are really fructose. A can of coke (368g/12 fl. ounces) contains ~17g fructose.

If this is the daily dosage, then I would not call it healthy at all. Diabetes, obesity, hypertension and more side effects come to mind. I am not an expert on nutrition, but the main difference between junk food and good food is to my knowledge the presence of fructose and the absence of fiber in the former and the reversed situation in the latter.

If you have some time, I can recommend to hear R. Lustig on the matter of fructose and fibre. Disclaimer: facts appear only late, maybe after about 20-30 minutes into the video, but they are very enlightening.

If you continued to read the Wikipedia page on it, you'd see that it isn't just a half-glucose half-fructose mixture- for one, the glucose is slowly absorbed in the gut, preventing spikes. Mind you, that Wikipedia page is rather dubious- but considering that this stuff is an alternative to sugar, I doubt it would have the same effects as eating the same volume of sucrose.

It is not a mixture - it is a disaccharide - made out of one glucose and one fructose molecule and it is metabolized as such. The only difference is the time it takes to pass through your digestive system into your bloodstream.
Edit: At least that's what I understand from the wikipedia page.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:57:38 pm by Evil Knievel »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 28, 2015, 01:10:51 pm »

Have to admit the liquid nature bothers me. A friend of the family was in hospital and ended up with weird gut problems from the liquid diet (Ensure I think). I know they now say it's not meant to replace all your meals, but, unless I am mistaken, that was the dream and is mine. Human kibble would be great; Livestock and pets seem to be able to live on dried food long term. I wonder if a mix of Soylent and porage would be acceptable.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 28, 2015, 02:41:15 pm »

The Soylent 1.4 announcement states that isomaltulose is a slow-acting carb.  And while incorporating it, they've also reduced the ratio of calories from carbs to 43%.  So I'm not worried.  That's likely to be far less blood sugar spiking and far less carbs overall than your typical cheap American diet.  And that's the goal.  Not to be the healthiest food possible, but to be the healthiest cheap and convenient food possible.  And it seems to me like they're accomplishing that goal remarkably well.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38