Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51660 times)

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #525 on: February 28, 2015, 03:06:00 pm »

Yes, seen in that way...
I found the idea of practical food that does not need cooking (or even eating) really enticing at first, but at the end of the day, I believe soylent is more unhealthy than my (personal) standard diet and not cheaper. I guess, I just have a different perspective on this, living in a different country and being a bit special about food. For many people, it may be relatively cheap and healthy.
(On the other hand, it's still equivalent to a can of soda a day, no, I don't think that at least this particular point can be argued.)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 28, 2015, 03:23:50 pm »

Yes, seen in that way...
I found the idea of practical food that does not need cooking (or even eating) really enticing at first, but at the end of the day, I believe soylent is more unhealthy than my (personal) standard diet and not cheaper. I guess, I just have a different perspective on this, living in a different country and being a bit special about food. For many people, it may be relatively cheap and healthy.
(On the other hand, it's still equivalent to a can of soda a day, no, I don't think that at least this particular point can be argued.)

Yeah... the food situation is really different outside of the U.S.  We have horrible problems here with sugar being added to absolutely everything, even foods that are not meant to be sweet.  Foods here are not developed for practical or health considerations.  They're designed according to business agreements and subsidies gained by lobbying.

The thing about a can of soda a day can be argued, though, I think.  There are many problems with soda besides the sugar content.  And the sugar content is only a problem because so much of it is quickly metabolized carbs, resulting in blood sugar spikes, and that is bizarre to get so much sugar from a drink in addition to all the sugar an American will be getting from all their food, which for most people will amount to way more sugars than a can of soda in a day.  To say that a day's worth of soylent is equivalent to the sugar content from a can of soda a day isn't really saying much.  If I ate a single sandwich for every meal from the white bread that's in my kitchen right now, which would not be anywhere close to satisfying for me, that would be equivalent to two cans of soda a day.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 28, 2015, 03:36:59 pm »

Yeah, a single can of soda a day is not a huge problem if it's your sole sugar source. Now, I just drank about a liter and a half of root beer. That would be a problem, if I did so regularly (this is about a quarter my yearly soda intake these days). It's not that strange for Americans to drink that much daily, and that's what contributes to problems. Fructose alone, in reasonable quantities, isn't likely to be an issue - it's a substance our bodies have been exposed to for our entire evolutionary history and have incorporated into our metabolism. It's the quantity that's historically novel, in much the same way as fresh meat.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 28, 2015, 05:02:19 pm »

To be honest, I caught myself in a contradiction and should drop it here. While I was close to condemning the can of coke again, it became clear to me that I would not at all think equally bad of a daily glass of wine. But after the liver is done with it, it does amount to more or less the same amount of damage. (Mind that I did not say that I would drink a glass of wine a day.)

This is the case at least if the scientist in the video above is right about fructose. In short, he says that fructose in principle acts on your body in much the same way as alcohol, but without the cerebral intoxication effect (i.e., the long term effects are the same). So, fructose in large amounts is probably bad, but it may not be so much of in soylent after all.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #529 on: April 12, 2015, 08:34:00 pm »

I'm going to go ahead and try this stuff. I've been having trouble with being too lazy to eat, and this should help.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 12, 2015, 09:50:25 pm »

This...is very difficult to navigate and thus find recipes. Anyone know where I can find one for Australians?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 27, 2015, 11:31:58 pm »

Just made my first batch of Soylent 1.4

It's way different.  It's a much richer and smoother texture, which is nice... but it's also a much stronger flavor, and not a good one.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #532 on: May 28, 2015, 12:35:27 am »

Huh, really? I started on 1.4. The taste is pretty strong, but as long as you keep it cold it's pretty tolerable. And you say the Texture is smoother now? I'm surprised you can get grainier.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 28, 2015, 12:48:39 am »

I recently started drinking the leftover pouches from my 1.3 shipment I got to try. It's been...I think at least 6 months since I got it? Maybe more? All the pouches stored ok, which is unsurprising since they were never opened.

The flavor isn't as good as I remember it. The first cup I had I immediately looked for syrup or something to add to it so it's not pure soylent taste. Still think a pouch of instant cocoa mixed into a cold cup is delicious. Grainy af, but soooooo goooood.

No idea what 1.4 is like. They still doing oil blend or nah? I think I heard something about the oil blend being changed.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #534 on: May 28, 2015, 12:53:12 am »

Nope, they eliminated the oil part. Just powder and water, now.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 31, 2015, 09:52:37 pm »

And you say the Texture is smoother now? I'm surprised you can get grainier.

Soylent 1.4 is so smooth, it actually serves decently well as coffee creamer.  Drinking it right now.  Very stark contrast vs previous formulas.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 06, 2015, 08:59:09 pm »

Shipping delays are gone, and apparently there's been an overhaul to the formula yet again to address the flavor concerns from 1.4. I have subscribed to the 2 week supply every month kerjigger. Let's see how this goes!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 06, 2015, 09:06:40 pm »

Makes me sad that I have 26 bags of 1.4 to get through.  I find the flavor really strong and I don't like it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 06, 2015, 09:13:56 pm »

Possibly modify it? If it's even a little bit better, it'll help get you through the 26 bags :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 06, 2015, 09:37:18 pm »

Yeah, I add stuff to it, and that makes it alright.  Before 1.4, I liked it plain quite a lot.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38