Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Mod Brainstorming: Fantasy Kitchen Sink Mod  (Read 4059 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Brainstorming: Fantasy Kitchen Sink Mod
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2013, 10:19:02 am »

A sentiment AI creature called 'Skynet' that changes the game as you play as you play it so that as soon as you scale the insurmountable learning cliff suddenly carp start vomiting giant cougars and kobolds and all the rock in your fortress comes alive and tries to kill your dwarves. 'Skynet' is inside a fortress under the deepest ocean in the game guarded by forgotten beasts, encased in adamantine. Occasionally 'Skynet' will do a Google search of your name, web-history and IP address and will use this information to taunt you. Every so often 'Skynet' changes the default Dwarf Fortress music to 'Never Gonna Give You Up' by Rick Astley. 'Skynet' will eventually become aware of when you are at work or asleep and will use this time to switch your computer on and delete all your stockpiles of booze. If you defeat 'Skynet' in a last attempt at vengeance it wipes your entire hard-drive or alternatively replaces all your music files with Justin Bieber songs.

When do we start modding?

Now let's don't be silly!

Who was being silly?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2013, 11:04:48 am »

...what the hell.

Did I somehow become a sarcasm magnet overnight?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 03:03:06 pm »

Flying bat people with little actual culture who live almost exclusively in caves.
Possible; there's not a lot of culture to begin with.

They eat exclusively meat
Simple enough.

and are automatically "cave adapted" to the first level (the sun irritates them).
Impossible.

Use only rudimentary leather clothing and daggers, no foot or hand coverings. They are also highly skilled at the blowgun.
Possible. Would they actually have blowgun access?
Regardless, unless you make blowguns use the Knife User skill in melee, thieves will never come with them, and they will never bring ammo either.

More of a nuisance than a threat to a fortress, as they enjoy stealing items but avoid battle.
Should be easy to make them act like kobolds in this regard.

Bonus points if you can make them wield obsidian daggers, naturally.
Probably not possible; getting NPC civ creatures to use funny materials in weapons is hard. I think you can make them use any kind of stone by preventing them from using metal, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 03:08:05 pm »

All cave civs have blowgun access by default in vanilla, as far as I can see, so I don't see why not.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 09:55:37 pm »

Tree-men.  Ents.  Talking-trees.  Treeants.  Yep, a giant civ made of wood who hate using wood items (like elves).  VERY powerful.  Leaves for hair and beards.  Will equip metal and invade if a fortress cuts too many trees.  Will trade if they find the fortress agreeable.  Could be the threat that makes the "good" biomes more exciting.  If not, a treeant megabeast with the obvious spheres, power and intelligence.
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 10:00:53 pm »

Tree-men.  Ents.  Talking-trees.  Treeants.  Yep, a giant civ made of wood who hate using wood items (like elves).  VERY powerful.  Leaves for hair and beards.  Will equip metal and invade if a fortress cuts too many trees.  Will trade if they find the fortress agreeable.  Could be the threat that makes the "good" biomes more exciting.  If not, a treeant megabeast with the obvious spheres, power and intelligence.

The only part of that which I think is impossible is the whole equipping-metal-and-invading thing. If they have metal, they will use it in favor of wood when they can, regardless of invasions. Additionally, I don't believe it's possible to have them invade if you cut down enough trees. In older versions that would happen with elves, but IIRC it was removed in the newer versions.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 11:31:02 pm »

... hmm... There has to be some sort of trigger (preferably not wealth related) to make them attack...  It wouldn't make sense, otherwise.  I guess a pure population trigger, while not ideal, could work...  I would prefer something else.  Isn't there a way to trigger it when the wealth dependent on wood objects becomes > x? 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2013, 12:03:42 am »

... hmm... There has to be some sort of trigger (preferably not wealth related) to make them attack...  It wouldn't make sense, otherwise.  I guess a pure population trigger, while not ideal, could work...  I would prefer something else.  Isn't there a way to trigger it when the wealth dependent on wood objects becomes > x?

Anything you don't see here doesn't exist.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 12:22:18 am »

If I wanted to look everything up, I would have. :P  This is brainstorming, I'm just proposing things and hoping to get the occasional hit.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2013, 01:58:44 am »

If I wanted to look everything up, I would have. :P  This is brainstorming, I'm just proposing things and hoping to get the occasional hit.

If you don't have a look at what is and isn't possible it is not going to be a very effective brainstorm.

No use having a cool sounding idea if it's not possible. Think of the area you want to mod and then study the modding section of that area in the wiki. See what tags can and can't be used.

Rule of thumb... If it sounds more complex than a new syndrome, caste or workshop it's probably not possible.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2013, 11:48:32 am »

In terms of non-impossible material; I've finished the lore for most of the major gods, modded in the avatars for two, and starting work on the temples.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2013, 11:49:35 am »

In terms of non-impossible material; I've finished the lore for most of the major gods, modded in the avatars for two, and starting work on the temples.
Nice!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]