Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Mod Brainstorming: Fantasy Kitchen Sink Mod  (Read 4066 times)

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Brainstorming: Fantasy Kitchen Sink Mod
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 11:41:22 pm »

Who is breaking whose heart?  :P

Alright, a race of evil-biome dwelling pig-men that worship exclusively dark/evil spheres, use dark magic and revere their necromancers.  They can, and prefer to, consume other sentient races.  They will not trade for or use precious metals.  They are naturally proficient in the use of axes, short-swords, spears, sabers and whips, but ranged weaponry is foreign to them; they prefer their bloodshed up-close and personal.  They snatch children from the more civilized peoples for their nefarious purposes (one must assume they eat them).  Leather armor is common, though the use of lower-grade metal does occur from time to time.  They domesticate some of the darker denizens of the world, only those creatures that occur in evil biomes.  Bonus points if you can make them drink blood like alcohol.  I call them Morgoths (I'm vein), though there is probably already a name for something similar. 
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 11:47:35 pm »

I see absolutely nothing in there that isn't possible! Yay!

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 11:56:36 pm »

You have my creative gears a-grinding, Putnam and Iamanelfcollaborator (nothing suspicious about that name). 

New weapon:  A flint-lock gun that fires rudimentary bullets made of metal (bonus points if you can integrate the coins that exist already as the ammo).  The gun requires a metal (iron or better) and a piece of flint.  It can be constructed at the mechanic's workshop.  Advantages over bow/crossbow: More force and velocity.  Down-side: (Not sure if this is possible), lower firing speed, it is considerably larger (size=700?)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 12:02:36 am »

Yes, no, yes, no, no, either/or, yes, yes.

You can have a flintlock fire rudimentary bullets, but not coins. You can have them require metal and flint, but "iron or better" is a concept that doesn't exist in DF (case in point: iron weapons < bronze armor and bronze weapons < iron armor), it can't be constructed at the mechanic's workshop, it can have more force, but it having a lower firing speed relies on either a lower velocity or the next version of DF coming out soon, larger is possible.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 12:18:47 am »

Hmmm....  Would it be possible to make the gun into a cannon as a siege engine?  It would require rope, fat (oil for the fuse), metal, maybe flint (to imitate flint and steel to spark a fuse), fires stone cannon balls (just for kicks) or just rocks, as a catapault does.  This one is pretty much just for kicks and giggles.  I suppose you could increase the range and see if it is possible to get it to fire more like a ballista.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 12:22:35 am »

Siege engines can't be modded.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 12:25:32 am »

Though some DF hack stuff does slightly modify siege engines (catapults that can shoot arbitrary items, for one).
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 12:28:06 am »

Siege engines can't be modded.

But... but... I want to... But...  darn it.  This is unfortunate.  Go with the Morgoths...  I might add them myself after I add my Argo Sheep.  (Sheep that drop boulders of different metals when sheared, depending on their castes.  The rarer the metal, the rarer the caste.  I'll figure it out tomorrow or something. :P )

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 02:14:52 am »

Sorry to say, but this is so funny to watch.

A: I want to do X.
B: Not possible.
A: Then I want to do Y.
B: Impossible as well.
A: But then Z.
B: Nope, try again.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 02:19:26 am »

Music based syndromes.  You can have a bard class that plays instruments and boosts... something... of their fellow dwarves during battle.  Or plays instruments and hurts. their enemy somehow.  Something like that.  The ability to mount creatures (that's a tongue-in-cheek suggestion).   Ape-man civilization who believes leadership should pass on through battle and battle only.  The ability to shear dwarf chin-whiskers and make clothes, etc. out of them.  Maybe dwarf beards could be a high strength thread?  True alliances would be awesome, though I'm pretty sure impossible.  You know, when one civilization declares war, it's allies join in, as well.
all of that is impossible except the instruments because itemsyndrome (holy crap).
I'm pretty sure dwarves are shearable.

This is that Pantheon-based mod, right? How are you planning to add the gods that don't really do much in the physical world? Or, for that matter, those that do?

You could make the misnamed Soultaken some sort of curse, like vampires and werebeasts, which makes the target more draconic. Scaley, maybe a bit larger, [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:] some sort of breath weapon, etc. Only problem is that, unlike weres and vamps, it's completely noncontageous.
Gods will just interact with the world via their priests and Avatars.

As for bards, I am working on adding a chanting/singing version, with no instruments.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 05:14:05 am »

Alright, 2 things.
Can objects be turned into creatures via a reaction?
Can creatures have the same happen?

And a suggestion: Junkmancers, which reanimate objects lying about into enemies.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 05:23:11 am »

@Remuthra: no and no. Only bodyparts can be resurrected/transformed.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2013, 07:45:12 am »

Flying bat people with little actual culture who live almost exclusively in caves.  They eat exclusively meat and are automatically "cave adapted" to the first level (the sun irritates them).  Use only rudimentary leather clothing and daggers, no foot or hand coverings.  They are also highly skilled at the blowgun.  More of a nuisance than a threat to a fortress, as they enjoy stealing items but avoid battle.  Bonus points if you can make them wield obsidian daggers, naturally. 

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2013, 09:15:44 am »

A sentiment AI creature called 'Skynet' that changes the game as you play as you play it so that as soon as you scale the insurmountable learning cliff suddenly carp start vomiting giant cougars and kobolds and all the rock in your fortress comes alive and tries to kill your dwarves. 'Skynet' is inside a fortress under the deepest ocean in the game guarded by forgotten beasts, encased in adamantine. Occasionally 'Skynet' will do a Google search of your name, web-history and IP address and will use this information to taunt you. Every so often 'Skynet' changes the default Dwarf Fortress music to 'Never Gonna Give You Up' by Rick Astley. 'Skynet' will eventually become aware of when you are at work or asleep and will use this time to switch your computer on and delete all your stockpiles of booze. If you defeat 'Skynet' in a last attempt at vengeance it wipes your entire hard-drive or alternatively replaces all your music files with Justin Bieber songs.

When do we start modding?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2013, 09:22:17 am »

A sentiment AI creature called 'Skynet' that changes the game as you play as you play it so that as soon as you scale the insurmountable learning cliff suddenly carp start vomiting giant cougars and kobolds and all the rock in your fortress comes alive and tries to kill your dwarves. 'Skynet' is inside a fortress under the deepest ocean in the game guarded by forgotten beasts, encased in adamantine. Occasionally 'Skynet' will do a Google search of your name, web-history and IP address and will use this information to taunt you. Every so often 'Skynet' changes the default Dwarf Fortress music to 'Never Gonna Give You Up' by Rick Astley. 'Skynet' will eventually become aware of when you are at work or asleep and will use this time to switch your computer on and delete all your stockpiles of booze. If you defeat 'Skynet' in a last attempt at vengeance it wipes your entire hard-drive or alternatively replaces all your music files with Justin Bieber songs.

When do we start modding?

Now let's don't be silly! 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4