Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is best Korea

Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Bay12 propaganda appreciation: North Korea edition  (Read 16314 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 propaganda appreciation: North Korea edition
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2013, 06:10:29 pm »

Got to love them Nkorean perspectives.
First thought, "This sort of belongs in the other thread. This is a thread about appreciating propaganda."
Second thought, "Wait... was that propaganda?"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2013, 06:35:17 pm »

Isn't Britain that one that promises to hold Singapore while asking for more troops for their front, then doesn't hold Singapore and leaves you to get eaten by the Japanese army while all your guys are over in Europe?

By the way, thanks for that one US of A...
Hey hey hey, propaganda related. If you're going to talk politics, use SOME propaganda at least!

The battle of Singapore began one day after an event that stuck with American history.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You know how the Americans did that thing where they built lots of battleships and they got sunk by the superior Japanese air force?

Yeah the British did that too. Sent two battleships and four cruisers to station up next to Britain's stronghold in the Pacific ocean, that was impregnable... From the sea. The Malaysian jungles were deemed impassable to any army, the ships deterrent.

The ships were sunk by the superior Japanese air force and the Japanese used amphibious landings and swift vehicles to traverse the terrain, isolate allied forces and get them to surrender/eat lead.

Attempts to reinforce were met with sabotaged infrastructure, the naval guns were given ammunition to sink ships not blow up soldiers and a day was not enough time to replace all the ammunition (massive casualties would have been delivered to the Japanese had the guns been delivered with high explosives). In short, it was the Maginot line all over again, except with a day's warning. And the enemy also had excellent knowledge of where every single fortification was. And planned in accordance. Numerous battles took place on the ensuing carnage, but by then the Japanese were able to establish beachheads and begin dropping in tanks - tanks were also something which the allies did not have much of.

By then Singapore was lost. And it was up to guys like these to fight the fight. Japan keeps hold of Singapore what with the allies not being able to take it from the sea (whoops) or the air (nice jungle) or the same route the Japanese took (obvious one there). Until the soviet entry of the pacific campaign and the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. After the Japaneses' surrender of course things changed. What with the British not having arrived yet and the Japanese having lost power...

Everyone played a game called "revenge killing."

I'm curious as to where you got your view from. I'm hoping it was from a textbook intended for education in an educational facility - such things are often powerful propaganda tools which have been employed universally by nearly every country that's used them! I suppose we can have an edition on them soon.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2013, 06:39:45 pm »

I think I had an uncle who was an RAF ground crewman during the fall of Singapore. I have heard he was an officer but I know next to nothing about him other than that he was captured by the Japanese and his time as a POW really messed him up.

EDIT: Turned out to be Chinese.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:26:51 pm by Owlbread »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2013, 02:13:19 am »

That is genuinely terrifying.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2013, 02:19:03 am »

Oh Japan, even your propaganda is weird. I was almost expectinng Hello City in an army helmet.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2013, 02:35:34 am »

Dammit, North Korea, keep your sterotypes straight!

The only people who are nearby you and don't hate your guts are the Chinese! And even then they just tolerate you until you prove yourself too difficult to manage. Dogs totally fit the British from a North Korean perspective. They're basically the same as wolves, except cowardly and will follow the wolves to the ends of the Earth just to not speak up for itself. See? Negative sterotype with correct animals for it.

British dog is the bulldog.

Subverts the theme you'd be going for. If you instead had a ferret or a jackal shadowing Americawolf, you could effectively portray Britain as a sneaking cowardly scavenger that is dependent on America - and would stupidly follow it to the ends of the Earth because there's a trail of food leading there!
Have you ever seen a pissed off ferret? And since when have dogs EVER been considered cowardly?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2013, 02:38:45 am »

Wolves are superior to dogs, thus dogs are afraid of wolves. I've explained this before.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2013, 02:39:36 am »

No, just no. Many kinds of dogs in fact intimidate wolves.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2013, 02:40:11 am »

That uniform looks communist to me. Chinese?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2013, 02:45:41 am »

Have you ever seen a pissed off ferret? And since when have dogs EVER been considered cowardly?
You're going for the image here. Wolves represent a lot of positive and negative things - so you go for the negative. Ferrets are a lot easier to portray as rat like than dogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courage_the_Cowardly_Dog

Though when pulled off - it works. It works really well.

Wolves are superior to dogs, thus dogs are afraid of wolves. I've explained this before.
*In Great Britain wolves and bears have been extinct because they couldn't swim the English channel to escape the hounds. RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2013, 02:50:08 am »

English hounds are to English wolves as t-rexes are to microbes. Ever seen a purebred English hound like that at a junkyard?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2013, 01:26:31 pm »

That uniform looks communist to me. Chinese?

Yeah they must be Communist, there's a red star and everything.

English hounds are to English wolves as t-rexes are to microbes. Ever seen a purebred English hound like that at a junkyard?

But they're British surely, not just English.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:29:52 pm by Owlbread »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2013, 03:02:42 pm »

No, just no. Many kinds of dogs in fact intimidate wolves.
Lies.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2013, 03:08:13 pm »

Wolves ARE dogs. They are perfectly capable of breeding. Taxonomically, dog is a sub-species of Wolf, as is Coyote. Hell, in the US, for example, West Coast Wolves are thinner then East coasters due to having bred with coyotes (Unless I mixed that up)

Breeding viable offspring is species. Species means they are the same. Which means you might as well be arguing over the difference between a poodle and a Daschund.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2013, 03:16:18 pm »

Not actually quite that clear cut. It's a close heuristic, but there's still annoying exceptions. Like a few birds. There's one particular set where one group can interbreed with another, that that second group can breed with a third, but the first and third can't. And then it does this extended geographical chain of similar action. You've got a problem when you say A = B, B = C, and A ~= C. Dunnit work.

Point being that we're still kinda' trying to figure out exactly what the hell a species is, last time I checked. Maybe they managed a better measure in the last few years, I'unno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10