Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is best Korea

Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Bay12 propaganda appreciation: North Korea edition  (Read 16291 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 propaganda appreciation: North Korea edition
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2013, 03:19:03 pm »

Wolves ARE dogs. They are perfectly capable of breeding. Taxonomically, dog is a sub-species of Wolf, as is Coyote. Hell, in the US, for example, West Coast Wolves are thinner then East coasters due to having bred with coyotes (Unless I mixed that up)

Breeding viable offspring is species. Species means they are the same. Which means you might as well be arguing over the difference between a poodle and a Daschund.
I have a new obsession: Crossbreeding a wolf with a Dachshund.

WIENERWOLF

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2013, 03:53:50 pm »

Wolves ARE dogs. They are perfectly capable of breeding. Taxonomically, dog is a sub-species of Wolf, as is Coyote. Hell, in the US, for example, West Coast Wolves are thinner then East coasters due to having bred with coyotes (Unless I mixed that up)

Breeding viable offspring is species. Species means they are the same. Which means you might as well be arguing over the difference between a poodle and a Daschund.
I have a new obsession: Crossbreeding a wolf with a Dachshund.

WIENERWOLF

The horror

What rough beast... its hour come round at last
slouches towards bethlehem to be born?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2013, 04:42:42 pm »

English hounds are to English wolves as t-rexes are to microbes. Ever seen a purebred English hound like that at a junkyard?
But they're British surely, not just English.
Scottish ones are bigger than English ones, English ones faster than Scottish ones. English hunting dogs were specifically bred to kill wolves. Wolves went extinct in England and Wales around 200 years before Great Britain was formed, not quite sure what happened to the Scottish ones. The Scottish sheep probably ate them.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2013, 04:47:36 pm »

Scottish ones are bigger than English ones, English ones faster than Scottish ones. English hunting dogs were specifically bred to kill wolves. Wolves went extinct in England and Wales around 200 years before Great Britain was formed, not quite sure what happened to the Scottish ones. The Scottish sheep probably ate them.

At the start, are you referring to wolves or hounds? That is also interesting about the hounds, I'm not familiar with them. I also think the fermers shot them all, that's where our wolves went. Old King James VI made it compulsory to hunt wolves three times a year because they killed so many cattle. Though the last was allegedly shot in the 1680s in Killiecrankie the last wolf sightings were in the late 19th century.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:49:09 pm by Owlbread »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2013, 05:06:46 pm »

At the start, are you referring to wolves or hounds? That is also interesting about the hounds, I'm not familiar with them. I also think the fermers shot them all, that's where our wolves went. Old King James VI made it compulsory to hunt wolves three times a year because they killed so many cattle. Though the last was allegedly shot in the 1680s in Killiecrankie the last wolf sightings were in the late 19th century.
Pretty much all the Kings up to the Kings who had no wolves to kill mandated the killing of wolves. Pretty ambitious.

To what extent could one say that fables made effective propaganda?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2013, 05:11:24 pm »

Hm, the little red riding hood isn't about wolves. It's a metaphor (the original at least).

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2013, 05:13:53 pm »

Always stab grandma before she can eat you?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2013, 05:19:47 pm »

About being seduced. Wolves are 'sexual perverts' which are seducing young girls.

In french, there was an expression at that time (don't think it still exists) : "to see the wolf", which meant, to have sex.

Also, in the 'moral', the sentence :
"following the young maids in the streets" (which is a bad translation). The streets here means the space between a bed and the wall. So, the fable's purpose is to warn young girls against people that are trying to seduce her.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2013, 05:23:05 pm »

Hm, the little red riding hood isn't about wolves.
Much in the same way a squirrel and a hedgehog isn't much about squirrels and hedgehogs at all either. I'm curious as to how we as people across the world have developed universal symbolism for things - lions from all ends of Eurasia till the modern day have represented bravery for example.

About being seduced. Wolves are 'sexual perverts' which are seducing young girls.

In french, there was an expression at that time (don't think it still exists) : "to see the wolf", which meant, to have sex.

Also, in the 'moral', the sentence :
"following the young maids in the streets" (which is a bad translation). The streets here means the space between a bed and the wall. So, the fable's purpose is to warn young girls against people that are trying to seduce her.
...Grandma gigolo?

GG

Though that does make sense, in Inferno Dante is encountered by a number of beasties, a she-wolf among them (representing lust).

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2013, 05:29:23 pm »

Not really about grandmas, but more about 'wolves' disguising as someone nice (the grandma), even though it's not. And yes, wolves are commonly associed with lust/sexuality.

Now read the little red riding hood to a child  :D

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2013, 06:34:10 pm »

No, just no. Many kinds of dogs in fact intimidate wolves.
Lies.

TRUTH.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2013, 07:12:59 pm »

Only Bay 12 could turn a north korean propaganda thread into a discussion about the symbolism of wolves in literature for lust and sexuality.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2013, 09:51:27 pm »

Only Bay 12 could turn a north korean propaganda thread into a discussion about the symbolism of wolves in literature for lust and sexuality.
Well, technically, it's a general propaganda discussion thread, so it's still somewhat vaguely related.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2013, 10:28:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I saved this image, as it is pretty darned awesome. Little Red Riding Hood don't take no shit from wolves.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2013, 11:58:23 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-aEz4b3vM

Perspective of a couple of Canadians living in South Korea; what they've expereinced in regards to the North Korean threat.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10