Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: What Is the Most Citizen-Friendly Country on This Planet?  (Read 10162 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: What Is the Most Citizen-Friendly Country on This Planet?
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 08:17:01 pm »

I live in Canada and it's pretty nice. If our constitution was more similar to the United State's I'd be happier, but generally everything is pretty good.

Might have agreed with you 10 years ago, but lately...

Honestly Harper isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:41 pm »

In b4 Finland.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 10:29:21 pm »

Honestly Harper isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be.
Maybe you haven't been paying much attention. Harper himself, maybe not as bad as people say. But the Harper government? I think it would be a real stretch to call it "citizen-friendly, pro-freedom and corruption-free".

And you sort of lose out on being independent what with being part of the Commonwealth. ;)
(And having the same problems most other commonwealth countries have in regards to money in politics, draconian anti-citizen drug and copyright laws)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 11:01:21 pm »

Sorry for the off-topic, but this is egregious.
The most communistic American politician would be still be far right in any European country.
B-B-Bullshit. I can name multiple ones where many of the right are at least on par with the saner half of the republicans. And most communistic? clearly you do not live in america and are being ridiculously hyperbolic. I mean really, do you actually read or find out any american politicians views before deciding that? I can name you people to the left of some countries. The Demoratic party, for example, encompases both of the major parties of Australia, (well except for a few of the righter policies, which would fall under repubs). The US has a larger swath of ideology then most other countries (Funny given the 2 parties), please don't mistake that for, whatever.

And please, remember this: Europe != World.

Sorry for the anger, but I do tend to get angry when defending my countries. Same thing saying a racial slur against your race. Fine with saying it yourself, but you'll be DAMNED if you let some other race do it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2013, 01:38:22 am »

I knew this topic would be entertaining just from the title. You can't discuss politics on the internet without a flak jacket, guys. :P

That being said, I'm pretty sure that there's nothing even remotely close to what any of us think of when we hear "citizen-friendly, non-corrupt, free, independent." Especially one that we'd all be able to agree on. Personally, I'm comfortable living in the US knowing that it's at least stable in it's tomfoolery, but you'd have to consider your personal values and exhaustively research each and every country's laws and political climate.

Hell, maybe the best "country" on Earth is Antarctica; Nobody lives there year-round, the only people who regularly visit are scientists whose only objective is to learn something, and nobody really bothers to claim it or any resources on it. If you wanted to go somewhere, spend all your cash to move out there and build your super-happy bubble-home, and hunt penguins for food. If you could get internet down there, remain alive year-round, and are a complete sociopath, it could be an awesome place to live.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 01:52:55 am »

The Demoratic party, for example, encompases both of the major parties of Australia, (well except for a few of the righter policies, which would fall under repubs).
Only because our non-two party politics allows for extremist views to fit into extremest parties, so our major parties are both somewhat centered. We still have partied like the 'Rise up Australia' party and 'Family First', but because the nutjobs don't have a platform to shout from, nobody cares.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 03:02:55 am »

If you don't think police are flagrantly abusing people in the U.S. every single day, you're not paying attention.  The corruption here is staggering.  We have 1/3 of the entire world's prison population, because of a profit-driven prison industry that lobbies for harsh punishment of minor, often victimless crimes, while powerful people can blatantly get away with mass murder for their own selfish benefit.  We have a mind-numbingly overwhelming surveillance state coupled with a blanket of laws that allows anyone with the right connections to turn anyone they don't like into a criminal whenever it suits them.  Having lived here my whole life, there is not a single rights issue in the U.S. that I feel is up to an acceptable modern standard in actual practice.  I would prefer to live in almost any other developed country in the world.

In answer to the topic question, I would say Iceland, but I'm sure there are other good places that I just don't know as much about.  I just know there are very strong and promising grassroots-driven political movements in Iceland right now.  They're actively driving out corruption in all the right ways, and I saw just yesterday that they rank highest in the world on both Gini Coefficient and Quality of Life Index.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:17:04 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 03:33:08 am »

I'd not be so bold as to pick a frontrunner, but my shortlist (ordered by geographic region but not necessarily eligibility) would be

ASIA/OCEANIA
-Australia
-New Zealand
-Japan
-South Korea

THE AMERICAS
-Canada

WESTERN EUROPE
-Germany
-UK

SCANDINAVIA/NORDIC COUNTRIES
-Sweden
-Norway
-Iceland

MIDDLE EAST (more tentative that the other groups, I'm not so sure about the proportions of ridiculously wealthy oil barons:downtrodden serfs)
-Saudi Arabia
-UAE
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2013, 03:35:14 am »

ASIA/OCEANIA
-Australia
-New Zealand
-Japan
-South Korea
You forgot that sheep can get citizenship in NZ, making it without question the best assuming you can grow wool.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2013, 03:37:24 am »

ASIA/OCEANIA
-Australia
-New Zealand
-Japan
-South Korea
You forgot that sheep can get citizenship in NZ, making it without question the best assuming you can grow wool.

Yeah, but Wales is working on legislation that will allow sheep and humans to marry within their own species, rather than the ridiculous, outdated notion of 'marriage is one human and one sheep'

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2013, 03:41:25 am »

Not with a thing known as global warming.

To be fair if any country can handle high water levels it's the Netherlands....

WESTERN EUROPE
-UK

As much as I love my country I wouldn't have suggested it in a shortlist for this thread. Admittedly we have very cheap health and education systems for everyone, and generally you can say and do what you want unless you hurt someone or effect the profit line of a major company. Personally any country that doesn't let me do what the hell I want with things I buy with money I've worked hard for wouldn't get considered for any shortlist of mine (does any country actually allow that still?)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 03:43:07 am »

Yeah, but Wales is working on legislation that will allow sheep and humans to marry within their own species, rather than the ridiculous, outdated notion of 'marriage is one human and one sheep'

Hey, allowing people and sheep to marry won't affect any existing marriages, it will only allow current human/sheep couples to express their love.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 03:53:01 am »

...I think we're both trying to take the liberal side of this thing.

Regardless, I hope they ram it through quickly. Ewe don't know how lambentable having your love denied by the system can be.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 03:59:40 am »

I'm in shear disbelief at just how baaad that was...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 04:59:40 am »

I always find it humourous when Australians are trying to pretend New Zeeland is the sheep lovin' country.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14