Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness  (Read 41999 times)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:48:23 am »

I was going to wait for them to start a Kickstarter before making this thread but there seems to be some buzz around this one and a lot videos coming out about this. I also can't stop playing it. And it's an early alpha that is still better than many of the completed games I've played.

So anyway, hard to put this one down. It reminds me sort of a sidescrolling Shoot First and obviously Binding of Issac with it's item acquisition etc.. but I like this way more than both those games already and it's not even finished. I wonder how many classes there will be and how many more items. This one has potential to be epic I think. Is anybody playing this? There seems to have been a flood of youtube videos of this in the last couple of weeks. I would like to do a hardcore let's play but it totally kills my fps in fraps for some reason.

Here is a link to the homepage with a link to the download: http://riskofrain.tumblr.com/

And here is my best run. Some items I think are a little overpowered like Infusion but there is a good balance for most of them. I do think some are completely useless though like the Voodoo Doll..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:42:52 am »

Here is the link for the demo:
v1.0
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:05:19 am by Evilsx »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 02:12:39 am »

PTW
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 03:23:13 am »

Goodness this is fun. After a couple of tries I managed to get to the second level with a drone, golden gun, toxic centipede(which is awesome), a shield, a fire shield(which counterattacks, I think?) and some kind of life drain thing I don't remember the name of. Then I got barbed wire and a mysterious vial before promptly dying horribly.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 08:46:49 am »

Yeah this is fun, but in my first run there came a point at about 10-12 minutes where killing anything was almost impossible, since by the time I'd whittled  it down 50 more had spawned. Is that just a case of having bad powerups? Also I almost killed the boss but died to a huge jelly fish. So close...
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:41:17 am »

It's a fun game, but my major problem with it is that monsters are taking too much time to be killed from the start, to me this feels very oddly a contradiction to that time = difficulty increase concept , because it takes time to kill something, and as you wasted time, next spawns will be even more resistant and will take even more time to kill.

The only way to then kill quicker is to level up (as you do more damage), meaning grinding , meaning losing then more time , meaning the monsters will soon be even more resistant.

That or be very lucky and find the items increasing damage (or several bots that add to your firepower), but items cost money and the only way to get enough money is to kill a lot, and so losing a lot of time due to enemy high resistance.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:38:20 pm »

I used the Miner and the thing I noticed is that the Miner DESPERATELY needs the items and drones to survive.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 12:50:05 pm »

So I did another run, killed a boss, activated a teleport, then seven more bosses started chasing me and the game told me there were 104 enemies left. So am I supposed to kill them all, or am I supposed to activate the teleport early or something?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 12:58:51 pm »

This game is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. You can basically get to the point where you are invincible actually. I thought it was too hard and not very balanced at first but that's not really the case. My runs average at over an hour easily and when I eventually die it's usually because I do something stupid or because of a bug. 

Basically as soon as the game starts I'll head out to find the teleporter and activate it immediately(except on the first stage where you may need to quickly farm some gold and power up a little depending on how quickly you find the teleporter), only killing enough monsters to get enough gold to afford the items I find along the way. If I am the Commando I don't even use drones at all because they just get too expensive to repair and can easily get destroyed by a large mob of mobs. Unless you play the Miner, I think the drones are a waste of  money in the long run and if you're good enough you don't need them anyway. The Miner actually has more survivability but the Commando is more fun to play for me. After activating the teleporter you basically need to just trek across the map in the opposite direction for 90 seconds as the enemies spawn. Once they stop spawning you can head back to the teleporter, killing the enemies and Boss(es) along the way, scoop up any power ups you missed and head to the next stage. Then repeat  8)

So I did another run, killed a boss, activated a teleport, then seven more bosses started chasing me and the game told me there were 104 enemies left. So am I supposed to kill them all, or am I supposed to activate the teleport early or something?

You have to kill all enemies and bosses before you go to the next level. At the higher levels you can easily have 10+ bosses spawning! The worst are the colored jellyfish..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:02:43 pm by joey4track »

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 01:00:00 pm »

If you can get to the difficulty where the game starts throwing multiple bosses at you, you can grind them for items.

I got to level nine (level 3 for the seventh time,) with the commando, reaching the highest difficulty, and I only died from getting stuck in a wall.
The raw power you get from having up to 16 of each upgrade is amazing.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 01:09:14 pm »

If you can get to the difficulty where the game starts throwing multiple bosses at you, you can grind them for items.

I got to level nine (level 3 for the seventh time,) with the commando, reaching the highest difficulty, and I only died from getting stuck in a wall.
The raw power you get from having up to 16 of each upgrade is amazing.

Yeah, it's true. My best runs actually I never get to see my score because I usually end up getting stuck from a bug. I know it's an early build but it really is too easy once you get the hang of it. It's great fun once you become invincible, you really feel like a badass. Maybe caps on how many of certain items you can have? But it really is fun though to have 10+ jetpacks  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:10:58 pm by joey4track »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 01:25:32 pm »

Plus there are some items in the game that makes getting the teleporter early not a sacrifice at all. For example the piggybank. Since once the teleporter activates it stops keeping track of time (well ok it does but it stops making the game tougher.)

I will say the Miner's main advantage seems to be that all his moves hit multiple opponents. Which is rather important in the game.

Though ultimately the Commando is just VASTLY supperior to the Miner to the point where it is just night and day. I have a feeling the miner wasn't really well thought out.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:35:39 pm by Neonivek »

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 02:43:45 pm »

Though ultimately the Commando is just VASTLY supperior to the Miner to the point where it is just night and day. I have a feeling the miner wasn't really well thought out.

Naw, the miner can be just as powerful as the commando if not more so you just have to play him differently. He is way better early on and if you get the right powerups he can be super deadly at high levels. The syringe and the barbed wire are really great for him. He's just not as fun to play I think. Can't wait to see what other classes they add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 03:41:09 pm »

The issue with the Miner Joey is that most enemies are well equipped to destroy a melee character but not a ranged one.

As well the Miner's escapes have some major flaws (Which is supposed to be his strength).

I am not saying the Miner is useless, I am saying that the Commando is just flat out better. There is no enemy I can think of that is easier with the Miner then the Commando.

The only way I can think of the Miner closing the gap is if his normal attack had knockback for almost all enemies. That would close the gap quite quickly.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:42:57 pm by Neonivek »

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 04:02:05 pm »

The only way I can think of the Miner closing the gap is if his normal attack had knockback for almost all enemies. That would close the gap quite quickly.

Yeah that would be a good addition. I hope they get together some official forums for feedback etc.. soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20