Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

STO: Good game or not?

Yes
No
Other

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Star Trek Discussion Thread  (Read 28507 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discussion Thread: Current Topic: Which is better? TOS or TNG
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:36 am »

Also can we have ANYONE who is going to argue whether ToS or TNG is better? So far we just had everyone outright agree Next Generation is better (except in terms of movies... in which case TNG only had one good movie)

Here's a sobering thought: Anyone who could have watched the original series when it was still contemporary would today be at least fifty.

When you compare all three seasons of that series, with it's parade of subtle as fireworks 1960s commentary and Alternate Earth planets and rote acting, to the solid decade of television delivered by Next Generation with it's usually subtle writing, dry and invective wit, science plots that actually managed to be interesting, and slightly less rote acting, it's barely even a contest.  I think there was only a real debate when Next Gen was still new, precisely because it was still new.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2013, 12:27:27 am »

The only real debate between the two that I can see is which series featured a better Captain. Do you prefer the slightly rogue-ish troublemaker who cheated his way through a test and passed purely because of the ballsiness? Or do you go for the mostly by-the-books, dignified captain who preferred to out-think his opponents?

There's legitimate room for discussion there.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2013, 12:54:37 am »

It's true I said TNG > TOS but I think of it more like a chocolate or vanilla contest.  Both are good, but different flavors for different times and serve their purposes well.  Some like one or the other, but neither one is bad in a big way.  Mmmmm.

Let's just say I have a terrible case of foot-in-mouth syndrome and move on.  Sorry, Euld.
No problem, I'll admit I was slightly miffed but no biggie.  Mmmm Wendy's biggie fries.

My favorite character?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2013, 12:58:54 am »

It's true I said TNG > TOS but I think of it more like a chocolate or vanilla contest.  Both are good, but different flavors for different times and serve their purposes well.  Some like one or the other, but neither one is bad in a big way.  Mmmmm.

Let's just say I have a terrible case of foot-in-mouth syndrome and move on.  Sorry, Euld.
No problem, I'll admit I was slightly miffed but no biggie.  Mmmm Wendy's biggie fries.

My favorite character?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You mean her 9 personalities?
I would go after her too, she is hot.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2013, 01:11:16 am »

Well, since we've decided that TNG is better than TOS and ENT is worse than VOY, the new topic should clearly be a debate on what's more mediocre - DS9 or VOY?

I think TAS gets an exception from all serious debates as it is impossible to take seriously.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2013, 01:20:41 am »

Well, since we've decided that TNG is better than TOS and ENT is worse than VOY, the new topic should clearly be a debate on what's more mediocre - DS9 or VOY?

I think TAS gets an exception from all serious debates as it is impossible to take seriously.
Hey! DS9 was a great show. Not as good as TNG, but a close second.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2013, 01:26:57 am »

Okay, how about whether Kirk or Riker is sexier?

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2013, 01:33:54 am »

Kirk

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2013, 02:00:17 am »

There was no bad writing involved in Jadzia's personality!  Not all!  She was multifaceted!  Yeah ok I'll accept DS9 had inconsistencies.  But many beautiful moments.

I'd say Kirk beats Riker, sadly.  I don't think Riker even took off his shirt ever... Picard on the other hand *manly growl* I think he had low cut leisure shirt that showed he had white chest hair once.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2013, 02:21:34 am »

Inconsistencies are an important part of Star Trek's staple diet. Big ones typically being in universe issues, like how fast warp travel goes, but also plot devices, hooks, and other things that were forgotten about after an episode or two.

Another important part is holodeck malfunctions. I always secretly felt deep down that the reason Enterprise was so bad was because the crew didn't have holodecks with which to have holodeck malfunction episodes.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2013, 02:28:35 am »

I have a proposal. How  does a topic change once a week sound? Or, if I feel a discussion has gotten stale. Does that work?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2013, 03:14:36 am »

I'd say just after discussion has gotten stale. If we keep a good discussion going for over a week, there's no reason to change the topic.

And I'm offended that nobody thinks Riker is sexier. I mean, look at that smile.
Spoiler: this smile (click to show/hide)

Every time I see that, my only thought it "Damn."

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2013, 07:32:38 am »

Data meets the Primitives on BBC was my favorite episode. I don't even know how I caught it either; it honestly was the best thing on at a time when TNG apparently was watchable in comparison to otherwise. Roll the intro and after much laughter I remembered it was the BBC and I thought, hey, they must have spoofed it. The actor is really pulling it off. Then it dawned on me it was indeed the same actor. Then I thought, hey they must have hired the guy who played Data to spoof it. Then while watching the episode I admired the way they must have even used the same cameras and lighting and stuff as a real episode.

It took me really too long to realize that it was indeed a legit episode, two commercial breaks at least. Whole episode was funny and I now understand why a channel taking Star Trek seriously as a part of their business would not show it. It was the briefcase, man. The briefcase was too much. I wonder if they sell those lunchbox or briefcase things he was carrying around. That would be a funny thing to do in moderation, to run around acting like he did with one of those briefcases.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:39:31 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2013, 10:26:40 am »

There was no bad writing involved in Jadzia's personality!  Not all!  She was multifaceted!  Yeah ok I'll accept DS9 had inconsistencies.  But many beautiful moments.

I'd say Kirk beats Riker, sadly.  I don't think Riker even took off his shirt ever... Picard on the other hand *manly growl* I think he had low cut leisure shirt that showed he had white chest hair once.

Riker did wear a revealing toga in a season 1 episode, "Angel One", where he seduced the leader of the planet.  And I think in the episode "Conundrum" where everyone lost their memory.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2013, 10:32:58 am »

Riker was Kirkiest in Season 1.

Then he got the beard.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26