Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

STO: Good game or not?

Yes
No
Other

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Star Trek Discussion Thread  (Read 28500 times)

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discussion Thread: Current Topic: Which is better? TOS or TNG
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 06:15:49 pm »

I agree with most of you. Enterprise was a TERRIBLE series. Also, Year of Hell was a good episode.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 06:43:58 pm »

I will say that my favorite episode of Voyager was the one that takes place in the past (well ok, our future) involving Janeway's great great grandmother, or something along those lines.

It honestly felt like the ending Janeway should have got. I never saw the part of the show where Janeways boyfriend leaves her but it is always something I disliked VASTLY!

I know it was just to inject some more drama, afterall it allows Janeway to date again, but honestly the fact that she had someone she loved back home waiting for her was something tragic that made me really root for her as a character.

I will say I am immune to most of the hate put towards Voyager. I actually really liked the show. Not that I am totally immune (Seven why are you dating Chakote? Why are we throwing out plotlines?). To give an example of my immunity, I had no problem with how Seven dressed and I wasn't aroused by it either. It honestly looked like something she would wear (and frankly as someone who likes to wear Pajamas all day, I can see the utilitarian appeal of a jumpsuit)

I will say that near the end of Voyager things REALLY fell appart and even I noticed. Plotlines would pop up only to be ignored or instantly resolved later. It really spiraled into garbage.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 10:58:18 pm »

On the TOS vs TNG thing, I actually read an interesting critique of a TNG episode I just watched (The Arsenal of Freedom) that pointed out that TNG tends to get a little too preachy with its moral lessons. There are many times where TOS lays out the pros and cons of something and then decides that the benefits aren't worth it, while TNG tends to just push one view from the beginning.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 11:30:57 pm »

I just heard on the radio today that the Texas Lottery Commission, Texas of all places, has licensed Star Trek for a new line of scratch-off tickets.  To kick off the product, they've hired Captain Kirk himself to appear at a convention, with the Fans of Star Trek organization actively trying to organize the largest collection of Trekkies-in-costume to top 2011's record in Las Vegas.

The convention will be in my hometown of Dallas at the end of March.  I will be there to be square, because how could I not be.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 11:50:29 pm »

I just heard on the radio today that the Texas Lottery Commission, Texas of all places, has licensed Star Trek for a new line of scratch-off tickets.  To kick off the product, they've hired Captain Kirk himself to appear at a convention, with the Fans of Star Trek organization actively trying to organize the largest collection of Trekkies-in-costume to top 2011's record in Las Vegas.

The convention will be in my hometown of Dallas at the end of March.  I will be there to be square, because how could I not be.

Who are you going as?
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2013, 11:57:14 pm »

On the TOS vs TNG thing, I actually read an interesting critique of a TNG episode I just watched (The Arsenal of Freedom) that pointed out that TNG tends to get a little too preachy with its moral lessons. There are many times where TOS lays out the pros and cons of something and then decides that the benefits aren't worth it, while TNG tends to just push one view from the beginning.

Funny because The Original series preachyness was much worse. Or shall we forget "Overpopulation planet"?

At least with the next generation when it tried to push its preachyness, it often felt like something involving the characters and not the setting itself trying to prove them right.

Though... the original series preached a lot less. It just preached much louder when it did.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2013, 11:58:17 pm »

Who are you going as?

Myself ordinary rough-edged slacker self of course, with a big grin on my face and a camera to take pictures of the wackiest Klingon costumes.

I will also bring brass knuckles to fight off the hordes of men between me and the one attractive woman present, and I will do donuts in the parking lot yelling, "You guys are nerds! Star Wars blows!"
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 12:01:44 am »

Clearly the best move is to show up as a medieval knight and say "But I thought this was the renaissance faire?" (Make sure to accentuate the E in faire)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 12:03:45 am »

Who are you going as?

Myself ordinary rough-edged slacker self of course, with a big grin on my face and a camera to take pictures of the wackiest Klingon costumes.

I will also bring brass knuckles to fight off the hordes of men between me and the one attractive woman present, and I will do donuts in the parking lot yelling, "You guys are nerds! Star Wars blows!"

Will you post a picture or two of the best? I want to see the level of quality some people make costumes at.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 12:04:15 am »

Better yet, show up in a new-gen Battlestar Galactica uniform and claim you're an Evil Universe Enterprise-Era character.  See how long it takes people to notice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 12:05:29 am »

Ok I think I found the deciding factor about whether Enterprise of Voyager is better or worse.

As bad as Voyager is... it wasn't Enterprise boring.

Also can we have ANYONE who is going to argue whether ToS or TNG is better? So far we just had everyone outright agree Next Generation is better (except in terms of movies... in which case TNG only had one good movie)

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2013, 12:06:27 am »

Was it First Contact?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2013, 12:07:06 am »

Was it First Contact?

Yeah the Borg one. The only good one.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2013, 12:08:52 am »

If we've reached a consensus, should I change the topic?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2013, 12:12:06 am »

If we've reached a consensus, should I change the topic?

I don't know... I think everyone is having a fine star trek conversation without a set topic.

Also why is it that I always like the characters no one else likes?

For example I liked Quark and his adventures. I like Dianna Troy and Wesley.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:14:05 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26