Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210549 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #2385 on: October 14, 2015, 02:48:55 pm »

Does anyone still play this?  Just started it a bit ago and I'm enjoying it so far.  (Air side, that is.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: October 14, 2015, 02:54:41 pm »

recently dropped, I might come and see if anything improved when 1.53 gets released, but it just gets annoying because all the mad quirks

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: October 14, 2015, 03:03:59 pm »

Pretty much, I come back to it every couple of months hoping to see some change but they're never there, so I rarely last more than a couple of days and just uninstall the game in disgust.

And it's a real shame too, they have such a solid idea and core game but then there's this pile of bad decisions and things that should've been fixed ages ago but are for some reason still an issue because they're too busy adding random crap of making the graphics shinier for the very small minority that can actually play it at ultra high settings.

And there isn't really an alternative to it, that's the worst part, because I love the aircraft and flying of that period but I just can't find it anywhere else but this game that has such potential but is being held back by the dev team doing stupid shit for the most part.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: October 14, 2015, 03:13:22 pm »

---

And there isn't really an alternative to it, that's the worst part, because I love the aircraft and flying of that period but I just can't find it anywhere else but this game that has such potential but is being held back by the dev team doing stupid shit for the most part.

Have you tried out Il-2, Il-2 CloD, Il-2 BoS? Perhaps Rise of Flight even?

I've quit War Thunder too, both the arcady planes and the more simulation like tanks. Theres so much potential to be both a better game and a better simulation for those who want that going wasted.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: October 14, 2015, 03:39:14 pm »

Actually I don't want a full on sim, that's too time consuming to master to a fun level, plus too time consuming to play too. What I liked for the most part was the RB flight model of the planes, a nice compromise between full sim and janky arcade. Too bad the mode was also riddled with issues of bad game design that made it infuriating to play most of the time.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: October 14, 2015, 06:02:00 pm »

They are, slowly, actually starting to try to work things out now. I think that they've lost enough of their player base to frustration that they're actually having to cede that some of their ideas are wrong, and there's an attempt being made to go through and actually fix some things. 1.53 will be increasing the foliage in Ultra-Low Quality, for example, so when you're hiding in the bushes you're actually hiding in the bushes.
Nothing important here, move along.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: October 15, 2015, 03:13:57 am »

Bushes dont mean much when one can just spray them up to over 1 km with a machine gun until the silly hit camera pops up...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: October 15, 2015, 08:36:03 am »

new spotting system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-U6sXkEKPo&feature=youtu.be

edit: actually not that's the current one, my bad
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:15:32 am by LoSboccacc »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: October 15, 2015, 12:31:20 pm »

Bushes dont mean much when one can just spray them up to over 1 km with a machine gun until the silly hit camera pops up...

That's also nearly useless, though. I haven't seen a tank yet where the bullet and shell ballistics were anywhere near the same, which means that the player still has to actually figure out your range and hit you with the first shot before you move because you, you know, just got pinged by something.
Nothing important here, move along.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: October 15, 2015, 12:41:02 pm »

That's also nearly useless, though. I haven't seen a tank yet where the bullet and shell ballistics were anywhere near the same, which means that the player still has to actually figure out your range and hit you with the first shot before you move because you, you know, just got pinged by something.

I didnt mean using MG for getting the range, but to actually scout bushes to find out where they lurk. After all you can see where your tracers go...

Sagal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: October 15, 2015, 01:15:59 pm »

Ehh Il-2 1946 (pretty much the full version) ain't so hardcore, you can pretty much modify every setting to make it work for you. I just wish there were more servers online :(.

In Warthunder I just get bored when I reach tier 4ish in planes, tanks I don't really care about (have KV-2 etc. though) but in lower tiers like 2-3 it's very nice game and not too much to grind at that point.

Elaos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: October 18, 2015, 10:31:01 pm »

War Thunder is great casual fun at first but when it becomes a grind it's truly frustrating. I've played it off and on for a long time and enjoy the arcade dogfighting quite a bit. I'd enjoy "realistic" battles a lot more if you weren't restricted to a single plane. Even in realistic tanks you can continue playing if you earn enough points during the course of the battle to respawn. That's my only gripe there.

I find the tank battles flip flop in balance between Russia and Germany, apparently ending on Russia being the winner by the end of Tier V. Regardless I keep going back since it's easy to jump into and out of.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: October 18, 2015, 10:36:45 pm »

I really enjoy the tank battles in WT. They feel so gritty. They've got the scope right too. If on their were infantry, it'd be a truly epic game.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: October 18, 2015, 10:56:45 pm »

War Thunder is great casual fun at first but when it becomes a grind it's truly frustrating. I've played it off and on for a long time and enjoy the arcade dogfighting quite a bit. I'd enjoy "realistic" battles a lot more if you weren't restricted to a single plane. Even in realistic tanks you can continue playing if you earn enough points during the course of the battle to respawn. That's my only gripe there.

Did you try the Enduring Conflict realistic test run?  It's my only real experience with RB so far, and I thought it was a blast.  You certainly need a time commitment, though.  I'm hoping it becomes a regular thing.  (I didn't do the Simulation one because I have yet to successfully take off in SB.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Elaos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: October 19, 2015, 08:02:44 pm »

I've not tried anything other than training and multiplayer. The AI in the game is so horrible I don't want to play against it alone.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 163