Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210535 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #2415 on: January 18, 2016, 04:58:30 pm »

Thats... Disappointing.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: January 19, 2016, 04:33:23 am »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: January 19, 2016, 09:06:53 am »

Heh. Turns out War Thunder has achievements in Steam. Most amusing one is titled "But.. how?!", for shooting down an aircraft in Simulator Battle, with a tank cannon. :P

Also, what control methods do y'all use? Me being the dirty casual I am, I'm sticking to mouse-only controls because... well I don't exactly have a flight stick that fits into my tablet's carry case. Anyone have any experience playing Realistic Battles with aircraft using only the mouse? Is it even possible? The one time I did try (via getting into an airplane in Ground Forces) I was shot down by a MiG that I had no idea was anywhere near me. And I couldn't so much as see any enemy tanks on the ground. (playing on Ultra-Low setting probably doesn't help, I guess.)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: January 19, 2016, 11:14:51 am »

RB mouse-joy is pretty terrible, but you can learn how to use it and use it very effectively. Learning how to do the myriad of other things required for truly effective flying in that mode, though, like spotting aircraft and ground vehicles, messing with trim and engine settings, and just being able to maneuver well enough to dogfight in general, that's a whole different ballgame.
Nothing important here, move along.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2419 on: January 19, 2016, 11:52:24 am »

Mouse-joy is terrible (though you can invert the vertical axis to have pseudo-mouse aim, which is a bit better), but in RB you can still use mouse aim. So, all you have to know in RB is to climb, dive, murder everything... and maybe some basic maneouvers like barrel roll. Manual engine controls are totally not required, though very nice (close them air-brake radiators on P-47s) and you need trim only if you get shoot and actually have time to fix the imbalance with trim, which is rare.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: January 19, 2016, 12:31:53 pm »

I use the mouse because the joystick I do have is kinda wonky. Its an old Attack 3 that I picked up for about $10 almost a decade ago...

That said, I dont normally play aircraft these days besides occasionally during a tank battle.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: January 19, 2016, 03:20:09 pm »

RB mouse-joy is pretty terrible, but you can learn how to use it and use it very effectively. Learning how to do the myriad of other things required for truly effective flying in that mode, though, like spotting aircraft and ground vehicles, messing with trim and engine settings, and just being able to maneuver well enough to dogfight in general, that's a whole different ballgame.
Hah, I originally played with a joystick back in beta, then years later I got back in when tanks were added, and when I went to play air arcade with my mouse (instead of getting my joystick out of the closet) it defaulted to mouse-joy and I couldn't keep a steady bead on ANYTHING, my aim was wobbling all over the place.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: January 19, 2016, 06:42:13 pm »

It's been a good while since I last played this - did they ever get around to fixing their 'fix' of making it so that decals are far, far, less awesome (read can only be much, much smaller) than they used to be?

It honestly killed my interest in the game - if it was causing problems with tanks (which, I'll grudgingly admit might happen), then they still had no reason to change it for planes also.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2423 on: January 19, 2016, 07:31:05 pm »

Nop. Some people mentioned you can make them a bit bigger than right after the "fix", but it's still nowhere near the old scale.
And funilly enough I still run into shittons of all-black Russian tanks... not as much as back then but there's always this one damn IS-2... it's somehow worse because now you think you're safe, but you're not.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: May 06, 2017, 08:09:53 am »

It's been quite a while since anyone posted here. I guess everyone kind of got tired of War Thunder's progressively worsening problems.

There is good news, though: the game has launched, and there's been a new influx of players that has managed to somewhat fix some of the issues with the matchmaking. With more players, it no longer struggles so much to put together games that aren't incredibly painful to play. They've also fixed a few of the annoying, frustrating bugs that can make the game infuriating, but it still has plenty of others, so it still might get really, really un-fun if you can't take being screwed over by a game in stride.

They've also added quite a lot. The British and Japanese have tank lines now, and they've added some Cold War-era stuff including guided missile tanks.

The main thing I'm writing about, though, is that right now, you have a chance to earn a Katyusha rocket truck. You can get a free 1-hour test drive of the BM-8-24 rocket tank every day and if you get 5 kills with it in a game, you get the Katyusha. It comes with a free respawn, too, so you have a decent chance to rack up those kills. I already got mine, but I figured if there was anyone else who still played that hung around here, it would be worth mentioning. Hopefully I can get some other people to give the game a second chance, too.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: May 06, 2017, 09:01:30 am »

That is worth knowing.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: May 06, 2017, 09:20:15 am »

I'm still playing occasionally, but only Air simulator mode. However, I have great trouble tracking targets, they always disappear on me.

Some say it has to do with your resolution:
(Other game, but same concept applies)
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: May 06, 2017, 09:26:31 am »

I have my doubts about the combat value of a Katyusha. Sure, it could be fun, but... well that thing is actual rocket artillery, there's no aiming those rockets at something, just vaguely in the general direction of the enemy, because there is no turret.

Other than that, perhaps the more interesting part of the news (for a future time) is that the naval forces are shaping up to be something ever so slightly more than the boat melee it used to be early on. The news section recently showed off two full-size Destroyers that players in the CBT could try out. So boats aside, there are actual playable ships now.

And in the midst of all that all I do is fly Zeros at things. Air arcade is about the only thing my tablet PC can handle. :c
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2428 on: May 06, 2017, 10:01:09 am »

The challenge you need to do to get Katyusha is hell. Rocket hell.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: May 06, 2017, 11:21:31 am »

I never play tank battles, but in my last round I managed to take out 2 tanks close range and damage one long range, with the MLRS. No idea why there's no vertical targeting optics, makes you waste a round to test distance. Then you have to rearm for an extended period, and that's where I got the kills. Front lines seem super-chaotic.

I got 1300 eagles, what should I do with them? King Cobra?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:59:38 am by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163