Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210601 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #2325 on: May 21, 2015, 02:09:57 pm »

I finally started playing RB recently as the Germans, since they were the only nation that I hadn't touched in AB. I've started to get good with the 109, and the 190 is disgustingly easy. The Allies aaalways try to go head on against the 190. Apparently the effective thickness of the windscreen is >160mm head on, so good luck trying to pilot snipe with anything less than 37mm.
Regards,
Dampe

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: May 21, 2015, 11:50:07 pm »

I finally started playing RB recently as the Germans, since they were the only nation that I hadn't touched in AB. I've started to get good with the 109, and the 190 is disgustingly easy. The Allies aaalways try to go head on against the 190. Apparently the effective thickness of the windscreen is >160mm head on, so good luck trying to pilot snipe with anything less than 37mm.

Unsurprisingly a lot of people are a little bit jaded by the 190, and consider a head-on engagement where both players die a favorable trade. And usually as long as there's a 20mm on an allied plane they can take your wing off (it's lethal in arcade, though I hear you can fly with half a wing in sim, not sure about realistic)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: May 22, 2015, 02:37:18 am »

In RB, you're not kicked out of your plane, but chances are you will die anyway. If more than just the wingtip is gone, your plane will be practically uncontrollable. Even if it's just the wingtip, performance will be so degraded that you'll have serious trouble flying a straight line and landing, let alone be able to fight or defend yourself.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: May 22, 2015, 03:01:43 am »

Fw190 is disgustingly easy in RB ? Are we even playing the same plane ?

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: May 22, 2015, 08:01:32 am »

Fw190 is disgustingly easy in RB ? Are we even playing the same plane ?

It's pure boom 'n' zoom. It seems (at least with the A-1, I can't speak for any of the later variants) that the Allies don't know how to deal with it.
Regards,
Dampe

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: May 22, 2015, 09:37:28 am »

The A-1 is up against competition that can't really deal with it, for the most part. It outperforms just about everything it's put up against.

It loses this edge as you climb up the variants. By the end of it all, it's severely outclassed by a number of other planes it has to fight.
Nothing important here, move along.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: May 22, 2015, 11:39:25 am »

The A-1 is up against competition that can't really deal with it, for the most part. It outperforms just about everything it's put up against.

It loses this edge as you climb up the variants. By the end of it all, it's severely outclassed by a number of other planes it has to fight.

Ahh, okay. I like the 109 better, how does that do at the later variants?
Regards,
Dampe

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: May 23, 2015, 04:38:30 am »

109 is pretty much THE german plane, and the one most adapted to the metagame (if you BnZ). Decent-to-good weaponry, best climb, best manoeuvrability... for a german anyway. A pain to grind to decent weaponry but that's germany for you.

But still I can't think but help it's a bit boring. Fw190 for life !

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: May 23, 2015, 11:01:01 am »

109 is pretty much THE german plane, and the one most adapted to the metagame (if you BnZ). Decent-to-good weaponry, best climb, best manoeuvrability... for a german anyway. A pain to grind to decent weaponry but that's germany for you.

But still I can't think but help it's a bit boring. Fw190 for life !

I think the advantage of the 109 is that it is a pure energy fighter.
It's got great climb.
I'm currently researching the F-4.

Also, this site is great for relaxing music while you're flying.
http://www.1940sukradio.co.uk
I usually just pull it up in the web browser Steam comes with.
Regards,
Dampe

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: May 23, 2015, 07:46:02 pm »

I think if Russian planes are built of Stalinwood, then German tanks must fire depleted Hitlerium shells. Because they casually plow right through my IS-1's 100mm frontal glacis like it's made of butter.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: May 23, 2015, 08:08:36 pm »

Depends what tanks you're going up against, for one.

If you end up against lower-BR tanks, like the Panzer IV F2 or G, the StuG III F, and the Panzer IIIs, you have the advantage with your superior armor and bigger, stronger 85 mm gun.

The IS-1 shares its BR with the Tiger H, which has a slightly better gun but is otherwise slightly less capable in a few ways.

The IS-1 can, unfortunately, get into games with up to the Tiger II (P). The Tiger II has a longer gun than the Tiger I, which means a higher muzzle velocity, resulting in higher accuracy and slightly better armor penetration. There's also several Panther variants at or below that BR, and the Panther has a well-sloped glacis and strong mantlet.

This tends to be true for most vehicles, though some are obviously more capable at surviving against their higher-tier brethren than others. The balancing point usually seems to be the capabilities of the main gun above everything else.
Nothing important here, move along.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: May 23, 2015, 08:13:12 pm »

First kill was by a Panther, second was a PzIV/70, I think.

I'm on the verge of ragequitting WT again after just getting raped about five times in a row on the Berlin map. I get one-shot by fuckers I never even see, because they've perfected the art of hiding in the debris so only one pixel of their tank is visible to me (especially on my shitty graphics set up), but I must stand out like a neon glowstick.

And even when I do spot them first *and* get the range correct, my shells do jack-all to them, but the reverse is never true.

It's just not fun anymore, on the ground or in the air.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: May 23, 2015, 11:09:44 pm »

I think if Russian planes are built of Stalinwood, then German tanks must fire depleted Hitlerium shells. Because they casually plow right through my IS-1's 100mm frontal glacis like it's made of butter.

I mostly attribute this kind of stuff to just how depressingly broken the Battle-Rating matchmaker is for tank mode.

Basically all nations with tanks end at a BR of 8.0, and the range on matchmaking is +/-1 BR, so 7.0's get roped into the 8.0 matches, all the 6.7's get to be top dogs in every match, and germany right now has the most 6.7's.

I've pretty much discerned all the tiers that this creates.

8.0 - 7.0 (IDK, haven't played up here, I hear T-54's are stupid good though)
6.7 - 5.7 (Germany everywhere, enjoy seeing Tiger II's dominate every round, EDIT: ~woops~)
5.3 - 4.3 (5.3 = PzIV/70(V) which is why it's amazing, also the tier of shermans everywhere, KV-2)
...etc...

I set all my preset loadouts to be at the top of the tier and it totally works.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:28:44 pm by darkrider2 »

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: May 24, 2015, 12:37:01 pm »

(IDK, haven't played up here, I hear T-54's are stupid good though)

They're constructed from Stalinium, the strongest alloy known to man!

Also, matchmaking is depressingly broken, period.

I got matchmade into a "realistic" battle yesterday on The Road to Grozny as the Germans, and there were Americans, Japanese, and Russians on my team, and all five nations on the other team.

I vaguely remember seeing a video somewhere on youtube where someone with a Maus got matchmade into a Tier I game.
Regards,
Dampe

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: May 24, 2015, 12:46:11 pm »

I'm quite sure you can't see tigers in a KV-1 because the MM is exacly + - 1.0 BR with nothing aside of maybe pitful server population will make tegh MM break that rule.

Of course this means the second tiger (the one at BR 6.0) will see he likes of IS-3.

And if you are stupid enough to use a Maus then you are guaranteed to fight T-54's every game. Especially painful when your maus dies and all you have are panthers and Tiger 2's
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 163