Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210598 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #2295 on: May 04, 2015, 11:21:26 am »

I've hit the 5.3 battle rating and it feels like every match is just filled full of focke wulf 190s and Bf 109s.

They're the only good German planes at this br.

B6/R3 ? Hah, there's a fw with the same armament, superior climb, equal speed and superior turn rate. At the same BR. The german tier IV bombers are wellington-level, the heavy fighters are mostly useless and outflown by everything else,

Though at least with the B6/R3 you don't suffer from the horrible grind to air-to-air belts and you get the mk103's at the start.

Seriously, I am TRYING to grind the A8 to air belts buuut it still is outclimbed by everything else at it's br. The fact that the grind is sloooow doesn't help.

Probably gonna go for Doras once I am bored of the Bf109's being exactly the same damn planes with just a better motor.

At least it'll be a less painful grind than the F8.

Not to mention that bf109 g6 who is gonna start at 5.3 BR with a single mg151 half-filled with useless IT shells... oh boy.

edit: oh wait, that's true, they occasionally give free updates at the end of a battle right now. Well, this should be less painful.

I've hit the 5.3 battle rating and it feels like every match is just filled full of focke wulf 190s and Bf 109s.

Welcome to Tier 4. Also, Griffons and Beercans.

yea. although i feel there are a fair bit of 'Stangs (even if it sucks ahahaha) and Yaks as well.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:26:01 am by Naryar »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: May 04, 2015, 11:32:45 am »

Not to mention that bf109 g6 who is gonna start at 5.3 BR with a single mg151 half-filled with useless IT shells... oh boy.
---
yea. although i feel there are a fair bit of 'Stangs (even if it sucks ahahaha) and Yaks as well.

They've been fiddling with the DM lately. In this update British 7.7s actually do something now. Have the Krauts gotten this too?

Stangs are a little lower tiered. Almost high T3. But yeah, they are pretty hard to fly right in WT because they just don't lend themselves to the meta. But that doesn't excuse the lawnmowing and other idiocy that goes on in them.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: May 04, 2015, 11:48:51 am »

So I'm playing this again, against my better judgment, we'll see how long 'till the frustration kicks in this time.

Been having some fun ground pounding with my germans, two ducks, a single stuka (the G one), my thunderkraut, and since today one of the first FW 190's (the 109F4 was pulling me a bit high in the BR's so I kicked it out in favour of this thing, not entirely pleased so far).

I've been doing the thunderer wager for the most part, it's been kinda fun, but incredibly frustrating at times, like when I lose three planes before killing any ground units because people see a duck and go for the free kill immediately and there's fuck all I can do about it. But then I jump into the thunderkraut and get some well deserved payback by murdering/setting on fire pretty much anything that I come across, before turning to kill some soft targets with it.

One thing that has been bothering me is the wager system itself, as it's showing Gaijin's lack of care for players and player comfort again. Why the fuck do tank battles count for the streak? Seriously, I've lost one today because I felt like playing tanks instead of planes and had no idea it counted them.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: May 04, 2015, 03:27:53 pm »

Stangs are a little lower tiered. Almost high T3. But yeah, they are pretty hard to fly right in WT because they just don't lend themselves to the meta. But that doesn't excuse the lawnmowing and other idiocy that goes on in them.

it's not only the stangs. it's the whole murrican pilots. WAT IS BNZ ? WAT IS ALTITUDE ? I'M GONNA LAWNMOW AND TURNFIGHT DAT ZERO IN MY THUNDERBOLT MUSTANG OLOLOLOLOL XDXDXD

really in RB when the japs fight the murricans, they all climb in a pack at 1000-2000m (being generous there) and then furball with the japanese. Not even the spits they get can save their asses because no one out turns a japanese.

To be honest I also turnfight in my Hellcat, but it's when i am in a furball where zooming away will most likely get me killed. And when I got rid of my bombs and rockets.

I'm glad to have started with germany.

Been having some fun ground pounding with my germans, two ducks, a single stuka (the G one), my thunderkraut, and since today one of the first FW 190's (the 109F4 was pulling me a bit high in the BR's so I kicked it out in favour of e I felt like playing tanks instead of planes and had no idea it counted them.

why are you not using your ducks and the stuka on the fighters ? Duck best fighter, OP, nurf plox.

Although the penis enlargement plane must be a bit poor against fighters...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:33:29 pm by Naryar »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: May 04, 2015, 03:47:40 pm »

The problem is that the Japs outclimb the 'muricans. So you either engage them at 2-3k when you're at the same alt or you let them outclimb you at which point your only option is to dive away, and they're not idiots (and they rarely are) they won't follow you but will instead remain high and wait for you to come to them again.

Also dogfighting in the duck isn't really easy, especially when most of the times a random yak just swoops down and cuts you in two before you can say schiesse. The stuka is a bit more forgiving in that regard, especially if you can drag them into a turnfight, but the guns are terribly innacurate and you really need some luck to score a nice good hit, especially since you'll be using AP so even a direct hit can do fuck all if it just goes trough.
AS - IG

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: May 09, 2015, 08:22:22 am »

Japanese 20mm's are apparently back at being sparkle guns.

ESPECIALLY the HEFI-T rounds who should by all means be pretty deadly. But no, shooting cooked riceballs.

I feel the Ho-5 is worse than the type 99 mk 2 in that aspect.

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: May 09, 2015, 10:26:18 am »

B6/R3 ? Hah, there's a fw with the same armament, superior climb, equal speed and superior turn rate. At the same BR. The german tier IV bombers are wellington-level, the heavy fighters are mostly useless and outflown by everything else,

Surely you're joking. They're useful for entirely different roles. The Me 410 B-6/R3 was intended to destroy shipping but in WT is easier to use it strenghts as ground attacker over using it as a heavy fighter.

The Me 410 B-6/R3 as well as the Hs 129 B-2 are the most amazing ground attack planes in the game.
Both have access to 30mm HVAP-T rounds. You need 3-4 Hits to destroy Medium or Heavy Tanks from any side and you get 100 (HS 129) to 240  (Me 410) rounds. Something like the Mosquito Mk 18 or the PBJ-1H are just a pain in the ass to use against tanks while 30mm HVAP makes them effortless to farm.

I've more than once single handedly or together with a team mate destroyed all ground targets in realistic battles with these planes. My win rate with the Hs 129 is 58.6% (70 battles, 305 ground targets) and 63.3% (30 Battles, 124 ground targets). For the Me 410 B-6/R3 with premium and talisman you'll typically get 16+k vehicle research per victory and about 6-9k on a loss. Its highly viable for grinding the Ho 229 which is amazing and also gets 30mm HVAP-T rounds.
Getting my Vampire was a lot harder using the Mosquito Mk 18 at 49.72% win rate over 89 battles, 350 ground targets and a typical research value of 13k per victory.

Keep in mind that the average number of ground kills of 4-5 includes maps like Norway or running into Fighter/Fighter Bombers early on near ground targets as well as unlocking the ammo belts. There generally is a high probability of not surviving the match but you either get killed early on or are left alone to get beyond 10-15 ground kills. That actually works out to your advantage in terms of RP per time. Two of these planes being left unattended or guarded by fighters for 15 minutes will pretty much ensure victory.

I'd also recommend turning off joining in progress battles as that'll make it significantly easier to predict when the enemy fighters will start showing up. With a little bit of experience you'll know when its time to retreat to let your team deal with them.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 11:08:04 am by Idranel »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: May 09, 2015, 11:59:24 am »

Getting my Vampire was a lot harder using the Mosquito Mk 18...

I'm just a lowly peasant arcade player, and in my experience I can tell you that mosquito's are less than worthless in arcade mode, and except for the 57mm beaufighters can do everything better at a lower BR. Regarding the 57mm mosquito, "~planes being left unattended or guarded by fighters~"... yeah that can never happen in arcade.  :P

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: May 09, 2015, 01:19:51 pm »

Getting my Vampire was a lot harder using the Mosquito Mk 18...

I'm just a lowly peasant arcade player, and in my experience I can tell you that mosquito's are less than worthless in arcade mode, and except for the 57mm beaufighters can do everything better at a lower BR. Regarding the 57mm mosquito, "~planes being left unattended or guarded by fighters~"... yeah that can never happen in arcade.  :P

Arcade gets boring very quickly. If you play long enough the more realistic game modes get more interesting. RB is more fun for ground attack stuff simply because its viable to stay "below the radar" given the larger map sizes. The 57mm gun is fun for blowing up light pillboxes thanks to the cockpit view. You can even cruise along at over 500km/h while popping pill boxes if they're lined up on the map. The fully upgraded mossie can actually outrun quite a lot of fighters if they're stupid enough to blow their energy advantage by starting to turn fight what looks like an easy kill. But the engines don't last very long. But on the few maps where you get tanks as ground targets it'll take anywhere from 1 to 4 hits to kill them. Sometimes there things just troll you by turning around at random too...

Another thing that turned out to be vital for ground attacking: flaps. I've bound raising/lowering to shift and capslock and while thats annoying for chat it works great for ground attack. Its just important to memorize at what speeds and angle they'll rip off.

Sure it feels wrong to fly a mere 300m above the ground. Ground attack planes can be quite viable on a lot of maps but the outcome depends a lot on where everyone else is going. On Saipan for example its almost possible to more or less clear the A point before the japanese fighters arrive and if nobody else went there it'll take a long time for an airfield to be available if it happens at all. Killing the last plane often takes a lot longer than nudging the ground forces to the point where the matches end quickly. If everyone else went to B at the start its unlikely that the length of the game can be shortened to the point that atleast some guy survives until then. Similiarly it can happen that some guy in a Spitfire decides to go ground attacking on Sicily at which point you're in trouble in a Hs 129 or Me 410.

The Mosquito mk 18 is actually able to outmaneuver quite a lot of planes if fully upgraded and given an enemy using ... suboptimal tactics. But that often results in most of your 57mm ammo being used or worse you trade one of your engines for a bomber kill and waste a lot of time going to repair it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:39:06 pm by Idranel »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: May 10, 2015, 01:07:21 am »

The Mosquito mk 18 is actually able to outmaneuver quite a lot of planes if fully upgraded and given an enemy using ... suboptimal tactics. But that often results in most of your 57mm ammo being used or worse you trade one of your engines for a bomber kill and waste a lot of time going to repair it.

On the other hand, blowing the ass of a B-17 is the breast.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: May 11, 2015, 04:44:39 pm »

OK, so the Ki-102 is just awesome.

Specifically, the 57mm who rekts everything and everyone in a single hit. And it has very good hit registration as well !

It feels like an Airacobra/Yak9t gun, excepted that it doesn't have as much RoF or shots, it's not completely invulnerable like the Yak, and it's less maniable/probably climbs less.

Also it's extremely fragile apparently. More than the average japanese plane at least.

So not op.

Meanwhile, the japanese 37mm's seem to sparkle pretty hard. Not to mention the fires that last for one millisecond...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: May 12, 2015, 09:10:48 am »

I like how there was a patch today which fixed some crashes apparently.

And the game crashed after three matches. I haven't expirienced any crashes before this one :V
AS - IG

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2307 on: May 14, 2015, 03:49:12 pm »

Everybody should also get on the =B12= squad, btw. I've restarted war thunder and play tanky tanky pewpew. I have a hard time with airplanes since I'm more into simulation for that.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: May 15, 2015, 10:09:06 pm »

Everybody should also get on the =B12= squad, btw. I've restarted war thunder and play tanky tanky pewpew. I have a hard time with airplanes since I'm more into simulation for that.

I already joined an RDDT. Besides, they have TS.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: May 16, 2015, 12:10:32 am »

Same deal here. Although, I spend most of my time playing with randoms, or people on the B12 teamspeak.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 163