Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210947 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1875 on: January 23, 2015, 06:11:38 pm »

Today I got the first flakpanzer and the naval Zero.

The zero I am liking for now, the flakpanzer I didn't test. I wonder if I can make good stuff with the HVAP belt (or even AP-I) against tanks at it's BR ? Or does it die to the first thing that blows on it, including the 50cals of murrican AA's ?

Also, can't kill T-34's. At all. That's in my 75mm Panzer III ausf. C with HEAT shells.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:20:06 pm by Naryar »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: January 23, 2015, 06:22:58 pm »

With the flackpanzer, it depends on the tank. It can kill almost every T1 with the right ammo. I think it unlocks some stuff with 57MM of penetrative ability. Not the best rounds for aircraft though, so you want a mix.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: January 23, 2015, 11:42:53 pm »

Yeah I used to facewreck US and Soviet light tanks with my little Flakpanzer. All you need is a couple of lucky shots, and when you're firing 450 of them a minute...

I have to disagree about the Marder III being good/alright. Thing has a damn glass barrel. First hit, ANY hit, the barrel goes black and I'm a useless piece of metal on wheels. And the profile is so high that you're a great target. Much prefer the Sturmgeschutz line. Or the Hetzer.

Compare the SU-76, which is essentially the same concept: 76mm tank destroyer with an open cupola and no turret top (in fact, it's the exact same gun). The SU-76 has lower penetration but a much lower profile and faster fire rate. The Marder has better armor in the frontal plate, but the frontal plate is about the ONLY protection the Marder has.

You have to remember that the Marder III was a stopgap solution to the German shortage of tank destroyers. The StuG III was a far superior machine but much more costly and time-consuming to build. The German answer to holding back the flood of Soviet armor showing up in late 1942 and 1943 was to slap captured Soviet 76mm anti-tank guns on captured (and by this time, mostly obsolete) Czech tank chassis, which is why it's in the PzKpfw 38(t) line.

The Hetzer was a much better "Czech tank turned tank destroyer" design, with a strong gun and low profile.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: January 24, 2015, 07:09:18 am »

Yeah, it seems almost everything German between Pz. II and Panther/Tiger that arent Pz. IIIs are just glass cannons. Out of the vehicles with 75 mm or bigger guns, Pz. IV F2 gets penned by M4A1s up to 1800 m or so at least even when properly angled(and at those ranges one can forget about hulling down and protecting fuselage) and StuG is probably also very vulnerable up to 1200 m, so ignoring the tall profile Marder at least has the best gun. Hetzer has a much higher BR and meets tougher opposition.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: January 24, 2015, 12:38:41 pm »

The Panzer III, Marder III and Hetzer were the vehicles that were actually intended for tank-on-tank combat, and the Marder was not designed to be shot back at by anything designed to kill a tank, just to take the first and hopefully last shot in an engagement or engage from too far away for the enemy to counter-fire. The Panzer IV was an infantry support tank that was slapped with an anti-tank gun because the Panzer III was too small to support a better weapon than the 50mm, and the StuG was pretty much the same, though the StuG at least had decent frontal armor for dealing with field pieces. As time went on, the flat fronts of both vehicles made them effectively incapable of taking a hit, and the thin side armor made it so that enemies could penetrate even after angling.
Nothing important here, move along.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: January 24, 2015, 02:45:42 pm »

The Panzer III, Marder III and Hetzer were the vehicles that were actually intended for tank-on-tank combat, and the Marder was not designed to be shot back at by anything designed to kill a tank, just to take the first and hopefully last shot in an engagement or engage from too far away for the enemy to counter-fire. The Panzer IV was an infantry support tank that was slapped with an anti-tank gun because the Panzer III was too small to support a better weapon than the 50mm, and the StuG was pretty much the same, though the StuG at least had decent frontal armor for dealing with field pieces. As time went on, the flat fronts of both vehicles made them effectively incapable of taking a hit, and the thin side armor made it so that enemies could penetrate even after angling.

Yes, although as its a game the vehicles should be balanced way or another. F2 is already a glass cannon, and the Panzer 4s that come after it go 1,7 battle ratings higher than the F2 with the same gun(more or less) and just a tiny frontal hull armor increase + skirts for the H and J... I dont think I want to drive them.

Btw I think out of all German armored vehicles the StuG had the highest victories/losses ratio. I believe StuG also holds the all time record for destroying enemy armored vehicles in a minute.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 24, 2015, 03:34:40 pm »

The higher tier Panzer IVs do not all have the same gun. At least one of them has the PaK 40 L/48, maybe both, which is slightly longer and more effective than the PaK 40 L/43.

It's the same gun, just 5 calibers longer, so it's slightly more accurate and has slightly better penetration.
Nothing important here, move along.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: January 24, 2015, 03:39:48 pm »

The higher tier Panzer IVs do not all have the same gun. At least one of them has the PaK 40 L/48, maybe both, which is slightly longer and more effective than the PaK 40 L/43.

It's the same gun, just 5 calibers longer, so it's slightly more accurate and has slightly better penetration.

Thats what I meant/said. H and J have the KwK 40 L/48. Its just a couple of millimeters of pen more...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: January 25, 2015, 02:19:51 pm »

Playing drunk thunder.

So there was a CR42 in tier III/IV and I rammed it in my Me410/U4

what the flying fuck

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: January 25, 2015, 02:55:43 pm »

IIRC wasn't the Ferdinand the tank with the single highest KDR in the war?

Also Naryar, you're doing it wrong if you aren't trying to swat it out of the sky with your wings only, no direct rammings or anything like that.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: January 25, 2015, 03:17:53 pm »

IIRC wasn't the Ferdinand the tank with the single highest KDR in the war?

Also Naryar, you're doing it wrong if you aren't trying to swat it out of the sky with your wings only, no direct rammings or anything like that.

In my defense i was drunk.

Also I fired my 50mm drunk gun, I can assure you.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: January 30, 2015, 12:23:44 pm »

Spoiler: 13x win streak (click to show/hide)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: January 30, 2015, 12:38:18 pm »

Spoiler: 14x win streak (click to show/hide)

I can't resist engaging in E-peen measuring contests.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: January 30, 2015, 12:47:58 pm »

aWWWWW

I'll take my e-peen back then into training

anyway it's harder with player planes than ai ground targets :P

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: January 30, 2015, 02:52:59 pm »

Hmm, that arcade event sounds really fun.

Not too fond of the realistic one. I'm probably gonna teamkill things and lose money.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 163