Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210609 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1020 on: May 03, 2014, 04:19:22 am »

Didn't get the chance to get into that, but have been playing for the past three days, and I gotta say the daily x4 bonus is both awesome and awful. It's awesome because holy crap, two days and I've unlocked a T3 plane, it's awful because I've already unlocked some three or so planes but I can't buy any of them because I've already bought several and am out of cash :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 05, 2014, 04:30:05 am »

I know Open Beta for Ground Force is approaching, but is it worth getting the $100 T34 and M4E2 Sherman Advance Tank Pack? I'm interested in the tanks themselves.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 05, 2014, 09:44:48 am »

It depends. If you plan on doing more of a sniping role, I wouldn't recommend it, as both of those tanks have small guns and are more centered around moving up close to the enemy and hitting them in the flanks. The M4A2 is slower, but has vertical gun stabilization so you can fire it a lot more accurately on the move, while the T-34 is a fairly fast tank that can run up on an enemy's flank with enough time to stop and take a shot.

The T-34 is of such a low tier, though, that it'll likely be going up against some fairly weak opponents like the Pz II and early Pz III models anyway.
Nothing important here, move along.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 05, 2014, 09:46:17 am »

How does the ground mode compare to something like WoT? Is WT going to make those obsolete now? Or is it just a very 'lite' version of something like that? I'd love if the ground forces stuff was actually fun.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 05, 2014, 12:03:27 pm »

I'm in the Ground Forces CBT, been playing since feb. It's much more of a sim than WoT, even in arcade mode: the tanks feel a lot more real both driving and shooting them, there's no 'healthbar', tanks are frequently knocked out by one hit to a critical location. I much prefer the game mechanics over WoT, it's a lot of fun at the lower tiers.

Unfortunately, balance is currently terrible. Tier 1 feels somewhat biased towards russia, tier 2's mostly ok, tiers 3-4 are dominated by Germany. Literally dominated. It's near impossible to get a game as a mid-high tier german player trying to play historical/sim, as 90% of the playerbase plays German now.

This is pretty much solely due to the Panther. That one tank is quite capable of laughing off 95% of shots from the front. Maybe at the end of tier 4, the russian 122s might start giving it trouble, but getting to the 122s through the utterly terrible (For the tier) 85s is one hell of a slog. Compared to the Panther, the T-34-85s which it's supposed to face are incredibly fragile, and can't penetrate worth a damn.

If/when this gets balanced, it'll be a good game. Until then, stick to tier 2.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1025 on: May 05, 2014, 12:39:30 pm »

I haven't really read up on tank warfare, but trying to make a realistic and yet balanced game is very often not a possibility. Many wars were not fair, and certain countries did have better technology. A little part of the amateur historian in me dies every time I hear people complaining about balance in a simulator. I guess the problem with WarThunder is that it tries to straddle the sim/arcade line, sometimes leaving both sides unsatisfied!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 05, 2014, 12:43:18 pm »

Well, they have 3 ways to restore balance:

1) Give up unit accuracy : Basically, reduce the capabilities of certain tanks, boosts those of others.

2) Give up historical accuracy : Ie, Place bad 1945 tanks against good 1944 tanks.

3) Introduce skewed matches : Ie, pit 4 good tanks against 6 bad tanks.

So far, they seem to be going for 2 in arcade mode, and a combination of 2-3 in the more realistic modes.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 05, 2014, 01:31:34 pm »

They're definitely sticking with realistic tanks, if nothing else. Which I like, it's good to be able to actually drive the tanks as they were.

A lot of the issue with balance is also, in part, due to a lack of understanding of the methods needed to pilot certain vehicles effectively.

For instance, a great majority of the T-34 line relies more on speed to get up close to the enemy and hit them with close-range flank or rear shots, while almost all of the German tanks except for the early ones rely on sniping from a distance with good guns.

Of course, there are some tanks that you just have to pray things work out with, like the KV series. The KV's, with the exception of the -2, tend to be either nigh-invulnerable and death to a tank or pathetically weak and harmless, with no real in-between.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 05, 2014, 02:46:16 pm »

Hey anyone got some keys for the closed beta? ( just in case hehe ). Also if you wanna add me same nick as i have here.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 05, 2014, 08:49:33 pm »

There are no keys. You have to buy your way in at this point, unless they do another challenge event.

Don't worry too much about it, I'm sure they'll do something if they don't meet their open beta deadline.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 05, 2014, 09:40:44 pm »

I have started doing some streams of Ground Forces on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/comp112

Hit it up sometime if you are interested! No exact normal times but usually in the evening, mountain time.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 06, 2014, 05:37:03 am »

Thanks for the pointers folks. I decided to purchase those tanks as I want to support the company and try out GF CBT. Plus I'm a collector (blame Pokemon!).

In WoT I had great success with Panther and Panther II, so I'm definitely the sniping type. I did well in IS-3, but I relied on bottlenecks in WoT whereas WT maps have MUCH more open space (less place to hide or sneakily flank). I do plan to focus on German tanks as I love their designs the best!

I agree Rank 1 German tanks are terribadly weak! Only at Pz.III Ausf F right now. >_>

I noticed that the game becomes much more graphically demanding in GF CBT. Is this something planned to be improved by Gaijin or simply inherent due to fighting on the ground as opposed to in the sky where all the ground objects are so far away?

If it's the latter, I am planning to get a new rig, that will hopefully run Star Citizens too!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 06, 2014, 07:04:20 am »

I noticed that the game becomes much more graphically demanding in GF CBT. Is this something planned to be improved by Gaijin or simply inherent due to fighting on the ground as opposed to in the sky where all the ground objects are so far away?

You can disable the grass and some of the foliage to increase fps, but it also gives you a very unfair advantage.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 06, 2014, 09:05:57 am »

You can disable the grass and some of the foliage to increase fps, but it also gives you a very unfair advantage.
More like turning them on gives you a big disadvantage.
It's not an unfair advantage unless you have to modify the game to get it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 06, 2014, 12:13:24 pm »

I had a fun couple of games last night where my planes would get shot down but I could still fly them again. No idea why that was happening, but it sure made for some fruitful matches!
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 163