Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210850 times)

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #705 on: December 19, 2013, 03:31:06 am »

]Without knowing what's failing for you it's hard to suggest anything :)
Yeah, you don't dogfight in US planes. You fly in and shoot them for a second or two while you can and then you run, because unless you're facing a really shitty German plane you're probably not out-turning anyone, at least not long enough to kill them.

One of the biggest problems I seem to have is actually killing someone. I've tried dog-fighting and I've tried dropping on planes from above, but I can't seem to kill. I fill the other plane with holes and usually get a lot of hits, but they never go down. Then some other plane 1-shots my pilot from behind or above with its machine guns.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 19, 2013, 05:40:27 am »

Yeah, you don't dogfight in US planes. You fly in and shoot them for a second or two while you can and then you run, because unless you're facing a really shitty German plane you're probably not out-turning anyone, at least not long enough to kill them.

One of the biggest problems I seem to have is actually killing someone. I've tried dog-fighting and I've tried dropping on planes from above, but I can't seem to kill. I fill the other plane with holes and usually get a lot of hits, but they never go down. Then some other plane 1-shots my pilot from behind or above with its machine guns.

If you fly in arcade i'd suggest aiming a TINY bit ahead of the magic circle because it targets the center of the planes model... basically meaning you are shooting the fuselage... and you won't do any real damage in arcade with MGs by making holes in the fuselage.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 19, 2013, 09:41:19 am »

If you fly in arcade i'd suggest aiming a TINY bit ahead of the magic circle because it targets the center of the planes model... basically meaning you are shooting the fuselage... and you won't do any real damage in arcade with MGs by making holes in the fuselage.

Yeah, from my experience the aiming circle is more of a guideline than a "shoot here to win" dot.  You still have to compensate if your enemy is doing anything but flying in a straight line, and you still have to compensate for bullet drop if you're a good distance away and you haven't changed a specific setting(I leave the bullet drop compensation off because I've gotten used to it at this point. but it might be better for some people to have it on.)  I almost always have to lead the circle by a significant amount to hit the plane, and that usually only gets me onto the tail of the plane, it's usually even more than that to get it on the engine/pilot.

But yeah, usually getting RIGHT on someone's tail and shooting at them isn't the best way to kill them. Some planes have armor from that direction, it also gives you a very narrow profile to hit and puts a lot of plane between your bullets and the more vulnerable sections. It's almost always best to try to hit them when they're showing their top or bottom to you, either when they're trying to turn across your path or when you dive down onto them or swoop up from under them.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 19, 2013, 10:37:04 am »

Now i just realised that i need nice joystick to fly with and actually play this game.
Any suggestions on not cheapest but average good stick to do well in flight sims?

And does Bay12 have active squadron going on?
I'm so exited about the Tanks that are rolling in to the game soon. Ads some hopefully more tactical purpose to fights =)

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 19, 2013, 10:44:45 am »

You only need a joystick if you are flying full real battles. Id go as far as to say that using a joystick is a disadvantage in arcade and historical.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 19, 2013, 10:46:26 am »

You don't need a fancy joystick to play.  A keyboard and mouse are superior in almost all situations. I mean, I have a $60 joystick, but I can easily get twice as many kills as normal by not using. Though it's to be said that you can pull off more maneuvers using the stick, and it's more fun, the simple fact is that mouse aiming is much more accurate.

You only need a joystick if you are flying full real battles. Id go as far as to say that using a joystick is a disadvantage in arcade and historical.
Haven't played full real, but yes, a joystick is a disadvantage. It's a fun disadvantage though.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 19, 2013, 10:54:28 am »

Ahh bummer :(
But i buy one anyways. Maybe some other sim offers the benefit having one :)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 19, 2013, 11:04:40 am »

Mouse aim is just fine.

At least it's less masochistic than touchpad aim.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 19, 2013, 11:19:04 am »

Aiming with a touchpad in Warthunder is like landing in Calais in 1944. I tried once, then left the game after a minute.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 19, 2013, 11:22:05 am »

Aiming with a touchpad in Warthunder is like landing in Calais in 1944. I tried once, then left the game after a minute.

Well, I did that for 2 weeks. Also, never again.

Kinda like playing Street Fighter with a keyboard.

Unsurprisingly my kill count quadrupled at least after that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:25:48 am by Naryar »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 19, 2013, 12:06:22 pm »

Okay... I've decided I hate the new progression system. Every feature I've come across (barring one, which I'll get to later) I've absolutely hated.

TL;DR: No sir, I don't like it. Grind is even grindier and Ground forces might be completely off the table for me as a result.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:08:21 pm by sluissa »

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 19, 2013, 12:26:21 pm »

Okay... I've decided I hate the new progression system. Every feature I've come across (barring one, which I'll get to later) I've absolutely hated.

TL;DR: No sir, I don't like it. Grind is even grindier and Ground forces might be completely off the table for me as a result.

I have an idea to lighten the mood! Why don't we get a ton of bay12ers together and mess around? We could do stuff like ground races, formation flying or just go into an arcade game and all swarm the same guy.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 19, 2013, 12:37:16 pm »

The thing about the tier system as they've got it now is you don't /have/ to get all the planes. You only need 4 of them, so you can basically just outright skip entire lines.
Nothing important here, move along.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #718 on: December 19, 2013, 12:59:29 pm »

I would highly recommend the Thrustmaster T-16000m joystick. It has really, really good precision (better than many much more expensive joysticks), but is becoming a little hard to find. If you can find it for around $40-60, I think it's a pretty good purchase!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 19, 2013, 01:57:20 pm »

The thing about the tier system as they've got it now is you don't /have/ to get all the planes. You only need 4 of them, so you can basically just outright skip entire lines.

It doesn't change the fact that we're earning less than 1/10th of what we were earning towards the next plane(s) before the update even though we still need roughly the same or more points than we did before to earn the same number of planes.

Being able to pick 1 or 2 lines to skip doesn't make that any better, especially considering that SOMEWHERE along that line of planes you choose to skip, might be a plane that interests you somewhat, and you can't just skip some of a line, if you want that plane, you have to research everything up to it.

Even the "free experience" that existed before has become more expensive as a result. If you WANTED to pay your way through it, it's going to cost even more now than it did before, which makes it even less of a desirable, or even possible option for me. I was VERY tempted to grab the Advanced starter pack with the planes and 10k gold at some point over the holidays before this update. No longer. Prior to this, with ~$45 worth of gold eagles I could have advanced myself all the way up to tier 15 in ANY of the nations. Now I'm looking at $35-40 worth of gold eagles to unlock a single tier 4 plane.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 163