Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210929 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #570 on: November 26, 2013, 09:37:52 am »

You can buy up to 5 crews with silver lions.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 26, 2013, 09:40:16 am »

They do get pretty expensive pretty fast.
Fourth slot is 10 000, and fifth is 50 000. Afterwards you have to buy them using real money.

On a side note, a KD ratio > 1 is never bad.  But that's probably because I insist on using my joystick, while mousecontrol is significantly easier.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #572 on: November 26, 2013, 09:44:39 am »

I'm seriously struggling with both Germany (tier 5) and Japan (tier 4) at the moment. Everyone and their mother outturns the German planes and I need like a minute or so of uninterrupted shooting to kill anything with the Japanese planes, and anyone who gives them a nasty look shoots them down.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #573 on: November 26, 2013, 09:50:40 am »

Do you have to finish a battle to get XP? I always seem to not last long enough to survive to the conclusion of the battle >_< Just right now I did my strafing runs too low twice in a row and got eliminated...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 26, 2013, 10:05:48 am »

Yeah... P-39/63 Yak-9T/K, KI-45, and certain Stukas... Learn to respect these planes, learn their advantages, their disadvantages, pay attention to them and NEVER LET THEM ON YOUR TAIL. Odds are, if you let them get good positioning on you, they won't need more than one shot.

None of them are all that maneuverable, but they're all great at hunting bombers. There's a good reason why you don't see all that many heavy bombers playing. As a heavy bomber, the only real counter for these sorts of planes is fighter cover to keep them distracted from you. But good luck ever getting that in a normal game.

Bf-109s around those tiers start getting really dangerous as well. Only 20mm cannons, but they can mount 2-3 of them and they basically have the best climb rate in the game outside of jets. You will ALWAYS see 109s up high either attacking bombers or in good position to boom and zoom planes below.

Bombers tend to be screwed, and the only thing I can sort of suggest is start practicing taking control of your turret gunners early, learn where and how you have to aim to hit enemies out past the point where you have an aiming circle. 1km is easily doable, I've heard stories of people getting hit out beyond 2km. Personally I can't really do much outside of 1.5km, but it does make them waste energy dodging your shots, which gives you more time in the air, more time for the hope of allied fighters, and more of your own shots travelling in their direction which might get a lucky engine or pilot hit. Otherwise sometimes your only hope is to find the nearest group of allied fighters and dive/run towards them.

Yeah... bombers tend to rack in the cash and XP when left alone, but then they're fighter bait.

I may stop playing my Ju88 and He111 for a while...

I guess I should replace my old MC 88 and He112 with a Bf109 and ANOTHER Do 217 (but then again this plane is awesome) and only play fighters unless context is good.

I'm seriously struggling with both Germany (tier 5) and Japan (tier 4) at the moment. Everyone and their mother outturns the German planes and I need like a minute or so of uninterrupted shooting to kill anything with the Japanese planes, and anyone who gives them a nasty look shoots them down.

For Germany you need to to boom and zoom, that is only attack enemies by diving on them and climbing to higher altitudes when you're not diving on an opponent attacking. No fighting at even altitudes !

In fighter VS fighter you really need to be on top of your opponent with Germans. In fighter vs bomber... Well, it's a bomber (lol Catalinas). Just shoot at his motors until they explode, try to change sides so the same turret doesn't face you all the time.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:21:39 am by Naryar »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 26, 2013, 10:48:14 am »

IL-2s are op awesome.

Discuss.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 26, 2013, 11:22:28 am »

IL-2s are op awesome.

Discuss.
Not as awesome as a Stuke G1 or 2... at least as long as the stuka has ammo.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 26, 2013, 11:42:48 am »

I have applied to join Bay12's Squadron yesterday, still waiting for acceptance.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 26, 2013, 01:47:32 pm »

German planes are not made for dogfighting. Learn boom-n-zoom/energy fighting tactics. You should have the Bf109 E-3 by this point, that's an excellent plane to use those tactics in, although the He 112 and MC 202 are not dissimilar. Fly like a hawk, circling overhead until you spot a juicy target, then dive in swift and hard for the kill before zooming back up to your perch to hunt again. Even the Stuka flies best like that, diving in for a bomb run, then using that momentum to gain several thousand feet afterwards while you reload.

Japanese planes....yeah, spitball guns is a problem. The Ki-45 ko has less of this problem but it's more unwieldy. Your best bet with JP low-tier fighters is to sucker enemies (especially Germans and Americans) into dogfighting you, where your better manueverability will give you an edge. Try to get them turning inside so that their cockpits are exposed to fire -- pilot knockout kills are your best bet.

Do you have to finish a battle to get XP? I always seem to not last long enough to survive to the conclusion of the battle >_< Just right now I did my strafing runs too low twice in a row and got eliminated...
No, and if you leave early you'll get the rewards but you won't have the breakdown of what they were. Should be able to find some record of it in your messages. I always tend to stick around a battle if it's near-done anyways, just checking things out in Spectator mode.

IL-2s are op awesome.

Discuss.
Yes, yes they are. Although I still think the most OP for its tier is a fully upgraded I-16 Ishak. Quad MOAR DAKKA MGs + 8 rockets, and a climb rate over 5000 ft/min. Insane for a tier 2.

The IL-2M is a bit better since you have that tailgunner. It suffers as you get higher though. Enemy fighters are just too fast and two well armed. My Soviet ground attack craft of choice now are the Pe-2 variants. They don't have the frontal firepower of an IL-2 but they have a respectable bombload, excellent speed and better overall mobility, imho.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 26, 2013, 08:26:30 pm »

I have applied to join Bay12's Squadron yesterday, still waiting for acceptance.

I haven't been on for a bit, I'll pop on and accept everyone. If anyone wants to be an officer I'll do some promotions too, on the chance that it'll let more people have access to stuff like that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 26, 2013, 08:32:22 pm »

Im not playing much as of late, so i doubt im the best option, but if no one is willing i can do it. Think of me of some kind of last restort.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 27, 2013, 01:21:50 am »

Challenge for the day: Get 30 air kills with a plane armed with a 37mm cannon or larger.

Cue arena filled with nothing but P-39s and Yak-9s.
Cue FUCKING RAGEQUIT.

Also, what do people think of the new 5-tier system they're talking about?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 27, 2013, 04:43:56 am »

Do-219 is my new favorite plane.

Yeah you get generally outmanoeuvred and killed by light fighters, and your turrets are crap, Yeah you run away from Airacobras unless you can take them from behind.

Still <3 It's great for boom and zoom as well.

Well, at least you don't see as much Beaufighters as before. But then EVERY nation has a plane that can fuck you up consistently in one hit.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #583 on: November 27, 2013, 05:19:21 am »

Is it a good idea to use a not-reserve plane? It seems like they cost repair fees and stuff :(

Also how to upgrade

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 27, 2013, 06:33:43 am »

The reserve planes are shit, excepted for the Russians and excepted for turning speed. The free premium plane you get is quite a bit better.

Also you won't have repair cost issues until the higher levels. You get multiple free repairs each time you buy a plane.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 163