Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210964 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #540 on: November 22, 2013, 02:13:53 pm »

Arcade wouldn't work with HB-style reloads, considering how much it can take to put someone down.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 22, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »

Arcade wouldn't work with HB-style reloads, considering how much it can take to put someone down.
This so much, in arcade 7s do nothing, .50s feel like 7s, 20mms feel like .50s. It also doesent help that most planes can still fly (and really well) with stupid amounts of damage.

As some people do useless campaigns to get people to play world of warplanes i do my campaign to take people from silly arcade to the wonderfull world of historical battles. Come join us!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #542 on: November 22, 2013, 04:08:35 pm »

Heh, reminds me of how Grumman go the "Grumman Ironworks" nickname.

Spoiler: Grumman TBF Avenger (click to show/hide)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 22, 2013, 06:34:59 pm »

I'm just waiting for the first video to come out where someone takes out a plane with a tank main gun. But even moreso some of those 16 inch US Battleship guns when those become an option. Either way, I expect to see a plane quickly turn into not a plane followed by choking laughter. Of course, a battleship gun against a tank should be just as hilarious and somewhat easier to pull off.

I can only wait.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 22, 2013, 06:54:45 pm »

Tanks are, ultimately, the most disadvantaged of the three. They have little chance of hurting the other two where the other two can attack tanks, and each other, with impunity. Unless there's AA tanks I've not heard of.
Nothing important here, move along.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 22, 2013, 07:05:44 pm »

Flying Rams and this may be relevant to your B-17 interests.

I'm just waiting for the first video to come out where someone takes out a plane with a tank main gun. But even moreso some of those 16 inch US Battleship guns when those become an option. Either way, I expect to see a plane quickly turn into not a plane followed by choking laughter. Of course, a battleship gun against a tank should be just as hilarious and somewhat easier to pull off.

I can only wait.
This was pretty common in Battlefield 1942. Depends on whether theplane is diving down, dropping bomb, and then swooping back upward before your tank gun can reach it because of barrel elevation constraints.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 22, 2013, 11:20:41 pm »

Tanks are, ultimately, the most disadvantaged of the three. They have little chance of hurting the other two where the other two can attack tanks, and each other, with impunity. Unless there's AA tanks I've not heard of.

I don't know, they're also the only ones reasonably able to hide, and of course, nothing says every match has to have both planes and tanks in it. Just as we're playing with only planes now, I'm sure a good chunk of the gameplay for the tanks will only involve other tanks.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 23, 2013, 06:36:39 am »

Yeah i'm feeling like the tanks in WT will be at the lower end of the food chain. Unless they seriously buff the flak tanks.

Besides, I think I much prefer playing planes than boats and tanks...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 23, 2013, 06:49:00 am »

Flying Rams and this may be relevant to your B-17 interests.

I can only wait.
This was pretty common in Battlefield 1942. Depends on whether theplane is diving down, dropping bomb, and then swooping back upward before your tank gun can reach it because of barrel elevation constraints.

This is partially relevant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWdequ1i6po
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 23, 2013, 08:27:03 pm »

This weekend's ground forces achievement is a bit obnoxious. From the russian side it wasn't that bad but Im having no luck with the japanese side. Half a dozen games and two kills, although one was in HB so it counts as 4. Either way the Ki-10 is horribly under performing compared to the I-15. Even in the situations where I  can get into a good position on an enemy the guns are so underpowered I can empty them on other reserve planes and still not down them... assuming someone else doesn't come along and steal the kill out from under me.

we'll see how things go in further HBs, at a 4 for 1 ratio and more spread out battles might work better

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 23, 2013, 09:11:00 pm »

I'm pretty certain there are going to be flak tanks, and between tank hiding and the current damage we've seen from AAA when it gets hits, it could actually end up being pretty brutal for anyone that flies incautiously.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 23, 2013, 09:19:10 pm »

I'm pretty certain there are going to be flak tanks, and between tank hiding and the current damage we've seen from AAA when it gets hits, it could actually end up being pretty brutal for anyone that flies incautiously.
That depends on the mechanics they decide to use... what if the player has to MANUALLY set the range flak shells detonate?
The game would probably give a little help by telling the player how many meters per second the plane is flying but other than that its just you, a large caliber fragmentation shell and the airplane swooping down to blow up either you or your teammate.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 23, 2013, 09:24:23 pm »

That's the thing, though. They've explicitly stated that pilots won't get any sort of HUD indicator for enemy ground vehicles (IIRC), so literally the only way for them to see flak tanks is to fly low and scan visually.

3. Run Resize Enable

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 23, 2013, 10:36:55 pm »

On top of the non HUD indicator for tanks, maybe having tankers use more than one vehicle (like in arcade) and limiting planes just to one life could help.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 25, 2013, 06:00:07 am »

That's the thing, though. They've explicitly stated that pilots won't get any sort of HUD indicator for enemy ground vehicles (IIRC), so literally the only way for them to see flak tanks is to fly low and scan visually.

Seems balanced enough for me.

Although the amount of trolling will be pretty intense in that case. Especially if they get flak tanks with multiple 30mm or 1 50mm cannon.

I also replaced my Bf 110 derpplane by a Do 217 J-1, which seems much better.

Also instead of a Stuka I now have a Ju 88 A 4, which seems nice. Fast, also. I still don't like these 50kg bombs, simply not worth it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:27:42 am by Naryar »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 163