Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211027 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #390 on: October 05, 2013, 05:00:09 pm »

That wasn't users or moderators. That was WG consciously removing any trace of dissent or problems with the game from public view.

What do you call the people who keep an eye on the forum and have the power to delete posts then?

As for nerfing the premium tanks, they needed to be nerfed. And that comes from the owner of several myself. Type 59 still needs another hit with the nerf bat and I expect several others will get hit in the near future..

Premium tanks shouldn't be bought or played because they're better than everything else out there... they already give out crazy amounts of credits and give you the ability to train crews extra fast while playing them.

I would have considered them a worse company if they DIDN'T nerf premium tanks.

Anyway, this has strayed far off topic and I apologize for that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 05, 2013, 05:05:21 pm »

That wasn't users or moderators. That was WG consciously removing any trace of dissent or problems with the game from public view.

What do you call the people who keep an eye on the forum and have the power to delete posts then?

Admins?

Heh, but you're missing the point. It wasn't a mod or admin deciding to do that on their own, it was (apparently) company policy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 05, 2013, 05:13:55 pm »

Thing is... premium tanks usually are slightely worse than fully decked out non premium tanks (with several exeptions).
Well personally i don't care because i don't own any premium tank but people often rage about that.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 05, 2013, 05:39:42 pm »

This is just my personal perspective:

I started as someone who started a World of Tanks thread in here, played the heck out of it or 3 years, spent $200 on it to acquire premium tanks and free XP, unlocked nearly all the tanks that I wanted (until British tree was released), and I believe I ended up with more than 10,000 battles (and another 2,000 in closed beta).

Nonetheless, I still decided to do fully transition to War Thunder because of both technical superiority of the engine and better customer service. I was heavily invested into WoT but the more I hung on to it, the more I'd have to cope with the losses in time and financials.

I do miss WoT, I actually made friends in that game that I'd see in real life. But hey now we have Bay 12ers playing War Thunder too and don't have to deal with the server clustering crap that made me lose some of my Oceanic mates in WoT.

The problem with WoT is how grindy it is. There's only vertical sense of progression. A lower tier vehicle has little chance against a higher tier vehicle, except in rare circumstances (e.g. capping contest between a scout and a slow heavy, assuming both are at equidistant to each respective cap point).

The engine is very resource-intensive  compared to War Thunder. I was able to run War Thunder beta better than I could WoT (release version, a couple of years after beta). The visibility mechanics and shells disappearing at certain distance are absolute bollocks and are designed as a way to camouflage (see what I did there?) the small map sizes. They can't design larger sized maps because, well, it will hurt performance too much on low to mid end rigs.

Anyway, I'll stop here. I've come a looooong way to realise that War Thunder is what the future holds for me. Looking forward to flying and tanking with you all.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:50:13 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 05, 2013, 06:02:15 pm »

The problem with WoT is how grindy it is. There's only vertical sense of progression. A lower tier vehicle has little chance against a higher tier vehicle, except in rare circumstances (e.g. capping contest between a scout and a slow heavy, assuming both are at equidistant to each respective cap point).

If I had to pinpoint a single pitfall that WT has avoided, it would be this. The crew and repair systems ensure that even at the level cap you have plenty of reason to play lower-tier planes, the MM is decent enough that you usually won't be radically out of place, and it's perfectly possible for planes to get kills on enemies quite a bit more advanced than them, if the player is careful. It's not the "I need to get to the top of the mountain so I can have fun" model of progression.

Take, for example, the Kingcobras. They're a bloody joy to fly, and I expect to keep playing them pretty much as long as I play WT.

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 05, 2013, 06:37:53 pm »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:39:59 pm by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 05, 2013, 07:07:21 pm »

I personally find war thunder to be right on the knife edge of the amount of grind that I can stand. It's almost too much, and I have walked away from it several times just disgusted at my lack of progress in the game. And honestly, for me it is a "I need to get to the top of the mountain to have fun." I want to play the jets. The Mig-15 and the F-86 primarily, but I'd be happy to try any of the others. I want to give the Me-163 and it's japanese counterpart a try and see if I can have any sort of success with the tiny fuel tanks. Those are where I want to be. Those are where I believe I will have the most fun. But it just seems like I'll never get there.

That's not to say I don't have fun with other planes on my way up there. Low level Russians, P-47, Pe-3s, And even to an extent the Bf-109s I've unlocked so far. They're all pretty fun in their own ways, but they all have their downsides as well. The low level planes give you next to nothing reward wise, the higher level ones are expensive to repair so you're either stuck making next to nothing when you repair them or waiting a few hours for it to repair on their own. And I hear it just gets worse the higher you go, at some point you're stuck with one lost battle every day or grinding credits in other planes to pay for repairs.

I'm already at the point where I have planes xp unlocked a tier or 2 higher than what I can afford credit wise.

Now, don't mistake what I'm saying. I know this is their business model, I know that if I were that impatient I could pay money to make it go faster or buy premium planes or what have you. That's fine, I fully understand it and I even accept it. They do need to make money. But do not sugar coat the system and say it's not grindy. It damn sure is.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 05, 2013, 07:14:29 pm »

Eh, the way I tend to play is a few matches in the morning, a few matches in the evening, so that probably explains the difference in opinion.

3. Run Resize Enable

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #398 on: October 06, 2013, 11:05:17 am »

Threw a couple of hours into the British planes on this today. Sadly, no Spitfire yet. I think I need to get my joystick set up since the mouse controls feel weird. Anyone else playing this from EU timezones?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 06, 2013, 11:10:31 am »

CET here.
I'm not playing WT all that regularly tho.
Self promotion below.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 06, 2013, 11:40:58 am »

Threw a couple of hours into the British planes on this today. Sadly, no Spitfire yet. I think I need to get my joystick set up since the mouse controls feel weird. Anyone else playing this from EU timezones?
Have you tried using keyboard controls in unison with mouseaim? The latter alone tends to be lacking in sharp, fast movements; I use my keybinds whenever I'm turning, looping, or rolling. Basically anything except climbing steadily or lining up a short.

3. Run Resize Enable

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 06, 2013, 02:19:24 pm »

Will War Thunder run on a low end rig? I've been eyeballing it for a while.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 06, 2013, 02:31:12 pm »

Will War Thunder run on a low end rig? I've been eyeballing it for a while.

Its better optimized than WoT but can't really say how low you can go spec wise and have a constant 20+ fps.
Self promotion below.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 06, 2013, 02:35:53 pm »

Okay, I could run WoT like a boss, so I'll be trying this out in short order.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 11, 2013, 07:01:29 pm »

Playing World Of Tanks eventually led me to this game.
So.. is it better, worse or equal to WoT?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 163