Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211013 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #405 on: October 11, 2013, 07:17:21 pm »

Playing World Of Tanks eventually led me to this game.
So.. is it better, worse or equal to WoT?

Currently it has nothing in common with WoT because it has no tanks (they will be introduced when PS4 hits retail tho)
As for their system...

When it comes to aircraft they just rape WGs World of Planes so hard it's not even funny.

If we decide to ignore the fact that one game is about planes and the other about tanks then know that WT directly sells power:

1 - You can instantly levelup crew for Golden Eagles you get over around 1500 experience for 100 eagles, Note that in low level planes you're lucky if you get 5 experience per game. it's a bit better at higher tiers where i can get 40 for a VERY good game and you need several thousands of them to max out your pilot alone without counting things like ground crew and gunners.

2 - You can buy additional aircraft slots for gold (the first one is for silver)... same in WoT you say? Not really because in WT after you die you can pull out another aircraft from your roster and continue fighting so people with more slots can afford to lose more aircraft than the average plebe who can use 5 aircraft in one game at most.

3 - You can skip technology progression by paying gold.

Basically EVERYTHING you could think of is monetized.

On the other hand the game is fun and the graphics are pretty... so its your choice.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 11, 2013, 07:20:21 pm »

Well I like air combat more than ground combat, more room for movement and thus, a bit easier to avoid incoming projectiles.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 11, 2013, 07:29:59 pm »

Well I like air combat more than ground combat, more room for movement and thus, a bit easier to avoid incoming projectiles.

Oh did i mention russian aircraft?
You know russian plane in a russian game.
They have miniguns and cannons that will usually kill your pilot or outright rip off your wing and tail with one shot (happened to me all too often.)
LAGG-3 and Chaika... i will never forget thee.
Also it's not really that easy to avoid fire or loose your pursuit... especially in arcade mode where being chased is usually a death sentence unless you fly a turn fighter and they are not.
Self promotion below.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 11, 2013, 07:57:07 pm »

Argh, Full Real battle tutorial is hard. D:

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 11, 2013, 08:20:51 pm »

1 - You can instantly levelup crew for Golden Eagles you get over around 1500 experience for 100 eagles, Note that in low level planes you're lucky if you get 5 experience per game. it's a bit better at higher tiers where i can get 40 for a VERY good game and you need several thousands of them to max out your pilot alone without counting things like ground crew and gunners.

Whaaa!? I usually get tens of thousands of experience per game, at minimum 8k or so for a really terrible game. And the plane exp bars are over 100k. Unless the exp is done by region or something and has radically different scaling...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 11, 2013, 08:27:27 pm »

What tier are you flying?

I'm flying tier 7-8 germans and i get around 40 per pilot for a good game (good as in ~10 plane kills and ground kills).
Reserve and tier 1 russians are even worse with 5-10 exp at most despite me often doing great in them (They're OP like hell) and being one of the bestp layers on my team.

Also i'm talking about crew experience.
Nation and player experience are different and yeah it's earned in thousands.
Plane experience (the one that unlocks upgrades) might be in the thousands as well.
Self promotion below.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 11, 2013, 08:29:06 pm »

So are Japanese planes any good?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 11, 2013, 08:31:50 pm »

Great turn fighters, anyone trying to outturn a zero is a free kill... unless he's a tier 1 biplane... then you might have problems because he will have the upper hand in a turnfight.
Self promotion below.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 11, 2013, 08:41:34 pm »

What are the pros and cons of each country?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 11, 2013, 08:51:33 pm »

Not really sure because i mostly played russians and Germans but:

Germans: Boom and zoom fighters since many of their planes don't turn well but are good at climbing. They also get quite a few "trollcannons" like the 50 mm cannon installed on a Me 410 that can rip apart a bomber in one shot.

Russians: Overpowered planes. Play if you're bored and like to rack up some kills each game (i suggest having at least the reserve planes and Chaika even if you don't want to play higher tier russians just because they're so much fun).

Japan: Mostly turn fighters but i hadn't played them too much.

England: Some of them are turn fighters (Spitfire) while other are boom'n'zoomers (Beufighter, Hurricane)

USA: Not really sure but some of their fighters have high calliber cannons that will rup you a new one if they hit. They are also known for their rediculously resiliant heavy fighters and bombers.
Self promotion below.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 11, 2013, 11:42:14 pm »

What tier are you flying?

I'm flying tier 7-8 germans and i get around 40 per pilot for a good game (good as in ~10 plane kills and ground kills).
Reserve and tier 1 russians are even worse with 5-10 exp at most despite me often doing great in them (They're OP like hell) and being one of the bestp layers on my team.

Also i'm talking about crew experience.
Nation and player experience are different and yeah it's earned in thousands.
Plane experience (the one that unlocks upgrades) might be in the thousands as well.

Oh, you're talking about pilot points! Hah, that clears things up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 12, 2013, 03:46:05 pm »

Not really sure because i mostly played russians and Germans but:

Germans: Boom and zoom fighters since many of their planes don't turn well but are good at climbing. They also get quite a few "trollcannons" like the 50 mm cannon installed on a Me 410 that can rip apart a bomber in one shot.

Russians: Overpowered planes. Play if you're bored and like to rack up some kills each game (i suggest having at least the reserve planes and Chaika even if you don't want to play higher tier russians just because they're so much fun).

Japan: Mostly turn fighters but i hadn't played them too much.

England: Some of them are turn fighters (Spitfire) while other are boom'n'zoomers (Beufighter, Hurricane)

USA: Not really sure but some of their fighters have high calliber cannons that will rup you a new one if they hit. They are also known for their rediculously resiliant heavy fighters and bombers.

As a note, not all of the Russian planes are OP. Their starter tier planes are definitely incredibly powerful, but I've found the LaGGs, which are the bridge between the starter tiers and the early mid-tiers, to be relatively flimsy and a little difficult to fly well. Their attackers and bombers, though, are better fighters than some other nation's fighters, especially the IL-2.

The USA are all about boom and zoom. A few of them fly like bricks and are only good for dropping on enemies' heads, and while they get devastating .50 caliber guns from the very start (one of the reserve starter aircraft has one, even), only a very few planes really offer cannons, which can be a little painful against stronger, higher-up enemies as you really won't destroy planes in a pass, just hopefully damage them to the point they have to run away. They're probably the most difficult nation to fly in general, but there's a few gems like the A-20G and the B-17s. You'll have to get used to getting horribly mauled, though, especially in Arcade where the one advantage the Americans do have, being really good at the zoom part of boom and zoom, is practically nil, and teamwork is rarely a thing that happens (despite being a fundamental part of real-world US WW2 fighter doctrine).

The English fighters are actually all pretty good at turn fighting, even the Beaufighter can handle a little bit of turning if you've got an enemy that's no good at turn fights. The Spitfire is definitely second only to the Zero, though.
Nothing important here, move along.

Tronak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 12, 2013, 05:11:37 pm »

So, some Tank tech trees here http://warthunder.com/en/news/294/current/ . Two good things so far: There are more than I expected and lack of prototypes (but inclusion of some more obscure vehicles)  8). For the moment looks good.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 12, 2013, 06:30:30 pm »

I like how they include both Elefant AND Ferdinand... in spite of the fact those two are the same darn thing.
Self promotion below.

mud074

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 12, 2013, 07:18:24 pm »

Alright, I have not been playing a long time, only 9 or 10 in each country, but I have to disagree with the "russians are OP" that some people are shouting about.

I will admit, they need nerfing when it comes to levels 0-2. They are simply too good compared to their competitors. On the other hand, ranks 3-19 for the russians is mediocre. Let's look at the yaks, the main soviet fighters. Their turn rate? Meh, spits and zeroes can outturn them. Climb rate? Germans can beat them. Speed? Both germans and americans can beat them. Firepower? 1 cannon for the lower ranks is not great, but they generally stay on par when it comes to firepower. Their only real advantage is how general purpose they are. No matter what plane you are in fighting yaks, you can beat them in something assuming you are similarly tiered. The only thing they truly excel in is their toughness, which is a bit exaggerated to be honest.

And then the La series. Starting with the lagg 3, it is a solid line. At its tier, it is one of the better planes with the single 20mms and the high speed. In that low tier, most people completely ignore energy fighting so a properly flown lagg can be a hell of a plane unless somebody who knows how to counter it steps up. Their weakness is that they can barely turn compared to most fighters at their rank and anybody who has more energy than the lagg can easily beat it. Next up, the la-5. Another solid plane, it can hold its own. It used to be broken as hell and had seemingly endless energy retention, but that only lasted a week before it was fixed. It is a good energy fighter with good acceleration, decent climb, and a turn rate that can just barely beat the 109s. Once again, most planes at its rank can beat it if flown properly. All similarly tiered germans can beat its climb and speed and all similarly tiered brits can out turn it. The story is the same with the La-7. As for the firepower, 2x 20mms can get the job done, but they are really lacking on ammo.

Of course, the big thing people complain about it the yak-9T. Honestly, if you find yourself getting killed by a yak-9 a lot, you need to change something in your play style. The only good thing about them is the big ol 37mm on them. Other than that, they are a pretty shit plane. They are also pretty useless in HB because that gun has very little ammo.

To sum it up, the russians are jack of all trades and masters of none. Somebody who does not know their plane will probably be killed when fighting a russian but anybody who knows their strengths and weaknesses will be able to easily defeat them. People shouting about russians past rank 2 being OP, it is not the planes that need changing but it is you that needs to change your playstyle.
In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only Googletopia.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 163