Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 940 941 [942] 943 944 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2117636 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #14115 on: February 11, 2014, 02:10:56 pm »

I don't see what the Goons gain from keeping their code closed source.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14116 on: February 11, 2014, 02:13:45 pm »

they gain the fact that every little trick and every chem recipe isn't public knowledge, so there's still some modicum of excitement to goonstation. You can't just open up the code in a new window and find out exactly how to do everything.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:24:13 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14117 on: February 11, 2014, 02:14:53 pm »

Because it makes them spesshul.

Personally I think it`s really dumb.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14118 on: February 11, 2014, 02:32:07 pm »

closed source is the way to develop ss13, actually. /tg/ is a long-lasting fluke in the system and bs12 also used to be closed until they started taking from /tg/ wholesale (or their code got leaked repeatedly, not sure which is the more important factor)

goon gets rid of parts of its code it's either not using or has polished up since once in a while, like the singularity code or i'm-not-even-sure-if-its-recent genetics code

but i guess you're entitled to the opinion of goons only keeping their code to themselves because they want to be special snowflakes

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14119 on: February 11, 2014, 02:37:02 pm »

Imho, open-source is the way to develop ss13. If SS13 were exclusively closed-source, there would only be half a dozen servers. With the simplicity of DM it's incredibly easy to contribute yourself. There's about 20 PRs open at /tg/, hardly a fluke if you ask me.

Goon being closed-source IS being speshul snowfleks in a way, but in a very good way. Gooncode has lots of fun hidden stuff that isn't common knowledge, and their away missions and other missions are apparently really cool mainly because of the secrecy, same goes for chemistry.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14120 on: February 11, 2014, 02:37:45 pm »

they gain the fact that every little trick and every chem recipe isn't public knowledge, so there's still some modicum of excitement to goonstation. You can't just open up the code in a new window and find out exactly how to do everything.

And in particular, this means a degree of griefing protection. It's not that every derp who comes on to the server can make Napalm instantly as soon as he gets his hands on the chem machine. It is possible, but it requires either some experience or some basic smarts to figure out where to find the information. And this, in turn, means you can have more powerful chems available.

Kinda like bomb-making here - you could slap together a very weak bomb, and if you want a powerful one, you need to actually learn stuff.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14121 on: February 11, 2014, 02:49:48 pm »

I dunno, I'm biased because I vastly prefer BS12 and even /tg/ over goon. Also I really like the open source movement, and find (especially in /tg/'s case) that it draws a lot more people to build onto that codebase. However, goons devs are more focused in their efforts, but you see the same thing with BS12 devs, so arguing that closed source is a better way to develop is kind of irrelevant. Whatever codebase people enjoy they can play, and if they want to contribute to one, they can go to /tg/, BS12 or here.

Plus /tg/ is arguably one of the most successful (if not the most successful) SS13 branches, and it spawned modern BS12, so saying that it isn't the right way to develop is kind of an ignorant viewpoint. Especially when one looks at the multiple, multiple branches of /tg/ (Yog, Pink, /vg/ and UMcS to name a few) and their varied success. (Or even look at the multiple variants of BS12 like Parastation, Hyperion, Griefstation, and New Eden to name only a few). /tg/ alone gets more players than goon consistently. Actually, right now Goon has 45 players between their two servers, /tg/ has exactly 100 between their 3.

Anyways, I digress. There is no one way to develop SS13, there's a few equally viable ways, some more successful than others.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14122 on: February 11, 2014, 02:50:17 pm »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14123 on: February 11, 2014, 04:03:52 pm »

We just had a decent round. Come over.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Nycro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14124 on: February 11, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »

I think the server went down.
But fun round last one

MCipher

• Bay Watcher
  • The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14125 on: February 11, 2014, 05:37:30 pm »

So I'm not alone in assuming the server's down. To the alt, I suppose?
No longer at critical sig mass!
OOC: Hans Panda: Everyone's going to die. That's how they usually end.
OOC: Hans Panda: I try not to run them that way.
OOC: Hans Panda: But apparently when I'm the villain, I'm too efficient.
OOC: Hans Panda: Even when I monologue.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14126 on: February 11, 2014, 05:38:03 pm »

I think the server went down.
But fun round last one

Yeah, it just went and died. Although since that shortly after three admins joined, I am suspicious.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14127 on: February 11, 2014, 05:54:35 pm »

Once the server comes back online, who wants to Cargotza with me? EHH? EEEEEEEH!?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14128 on: February 11, 2014, 06:01:03 pm »

Can you post the list here? Might find it useful.
He's most likely talking about this.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fc6zao8E1TjxxzL8Z_aBLMuzJwdpW7cuN2vRGtTY-tk/edit?pli=1#heading=h.b39jnevl6z5h

actually I compiled information from a number of different guides and made a list that I personally find easy to do although its still in the tweaking stages.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:11:14 pm by garfield751 »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14129 on: February 11, 2014, 06:19:18 pm »

Guuuuuuys.

Fix the Serveeeer.

Cargotzaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 940 941 [942] 943 944 ... 1654