Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2116276 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #9060 on: August 17, 2013, 07:11:23 am »

Think of it less as a restriction and more of a period to allow newcomers to familiarize themselves with everything without giving them the ability to shoot themselves in the foot if they accidentally the whole server.
This was my main reason to suggest this, really. Especially if we ever go public again.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: August 17, 2013, 07:41:41 am »

I have mixed thoughts on this.

However if the server goes public, then frankly i would love a minimum server account age for head positions to be in place, we need some methods to help prevent random griefers that would join servers. Part of the reason i play this server so much now instead of the old stations is because there are less random griefers that would join and just torpedo a couple rounds while the admins are away.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: August 17, 2013, 08:01:26 am »

So there I am, alone, sharting around. Decide to start up the engine after I get my syndie bundle (the infiltrator set or whatever it's called), give myself an ID "Urist McStation, Plasma Research Station", say "Boobs" as the Server/Station, and return to captaincy to activate the engine. Power dies just before I start the PA. Go to set up the solars, for some reason the SMES won't charge. I dodecatuple check the damn everythings and come to the conclusion that I suck, start up the PA, steal the ablative vest for my objective, and eat that unfulfilling greentext. Thus ends the least productive solo round.

GiantBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9063 on: August 17, 2013, 09:49:21 am »

>Scrap your fancy waitlist.
>get more COMPETENT admins.
>Done.

Waitinglists are just annoying for people who are already familiar with the game, also, we don't differ much from the big guys like tg and goon (buh), our rules don't differ much and heads on here are able to be on the same line of retardness as heads on tg/goon, I would support a waitinglist if we actually differed from other servers, we frankly don't, so no to waitlist.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:52:01 am by GiantBadger »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: August 17, 2013, 09:53:29 am »

Get admins from where? As it stands, we barely reach 15 most of the time and admins can't really play the game normally. If we would admin three of regulars, it would mean there would be rounds where 50% of the players are admins. To boot, no number of admins can be always online 24/7 AND no number of adminning can fix a round that had already been fucked up by someone joining the game with a deathmatch mindset.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GiantBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9065 on: August 17, 2013, 09:57:05 am »

Saying that admins can't participate normally in a round is poppycock.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: August 17, 2013, 10:01:25 am »

Saying that admins can't participate normally in a round is poppycock.

^^^^

Red(R.I.P), Glloyd, Nienhaus, Hans, Bdthemag just to name a few. They all play rounds regularly and it's fine.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9067 on: August 17, 2013, 10:03:17 am »

Get admins from where? As it stands, we barely reach 15 most of the time and admins can't really play the game normally. If we would admin three of regulars, it would mean there would be rounds where 50% of the players are admins. To boot, no number of admins can be always online 24/7 AND no number of adminning can fix a round that had already been fucked up by someone joining the game with a deathmatch mindset.
Eh...

If I was made trialmin, I'd, more likely than not, play just like normal and forget there even is an admin tab unless I need to use it. I'm not one to abuse power/avoid even playing to avoid abusing the power, but yeah I agree with Corai about the whole, most of our admins(IIRC) playing rounds normally.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: August 17, 2013, 10:08:03 am »

Agreed. There's nothing preventing an admin from playing a round normally and only becoming admin-y if someone starts screaming in a-help. Especially on the little 5-6 player rounds we have during the off hours.

With that said, I certainly see a degree of benefit in preventing people from playing Cap/HoS/HoP for their first week or so. The other heads not so much, mostly because there's less potential for unintentional griffins in them. I remember one round in my first couple days where I someone ended up as acting Captain during a round full of chaotic fuckery; even though at the end people were saying that I did a good job of holding everything together, I basically had no idea what I was doing (in game terms) and was just relying on outside experience as I ran around delegating like a motherfucker.

I've seen other new players put in the same situation (and this is particularly noticeable in rounds that are otherwise fairly calm) who, with no idea what to do, end up fucking around and occasionally screwing up the round for everyone. Same deal with HoP and HoS: you should at least have a week or so of playing QM/Sec before you play them, and you should probably have at least a week or so of playing HoP/HoS before you play Captain, for your own sake if nothing else.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiantBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: August 17, 2013, 10:14:25 am »

If you are new and pick captain/HoS/banana you deserve to get your ass banned when you screw up.

Also, Red is gone? Ha.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: August 17, 2013, 10:20:05 am »

I think one benefit of a week or two pre- HoP, Hos, and Captain is that it gives the newcomer a chance to familiarize with the regulars, and the regulars a chance to familiarize with the newcomers. I think this is fairly important. If a competent player comes on their first game and plays captain, and Bad Things happen, people might be resentful and doubt their skill, personality conflicts are more likely, etc. Whereas if they have been interacting fora while, people will recognize their ability and be less likely to throw blame at them for every little thing.

GiantBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: August 17, 2013, 10:26:44 am »

No.

Anyhow, why are we still using tgcode while we can use bay and its fancy medicalsystem that doesn't revolve around throwing someone into cryo for everything?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9072 on: August 17, 2013, 10:29:38 am »

No.

Anyhow, why are we still using tgcode while we can use bay and its fancy medicalsystem that doesn't revolve around throwing someone into cryo for everything?

This.

IIRC the reason was Metastation being unavailable, but since Meta is getting ported to Baycode...

Oh yeah, Baycode also has always-on shortcuts for chat (F1 - ahelp, F2 - OOC, F3 - normal chat, F4 - Me command). I wish we had that.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9073 on: August 17, 2013, 10:31:24 am »

I think it's more of a 'Changing code and updating the stuff' along with a possibly new map, which would mean having to change it up to fit to that, and overall take longer AT THE MOMENT to change that we would like.

Personally the only thing I'd like is the *monologue and Hostage Taking from baystation sooo... yeah

GiantBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9074 on: August 17, 2013, 10:32:54 am »

I know 100% that metastation is not gonna be ported, metastations random maintenace scoobydoo-rooms don't fit with Bay.
Also, you apparently wrote the fluff for changelings on Bay, I'm impressed.
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 1654