Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 76

Author Topic: UnReal World - Now on Steam! (3.51 Stable, 29th Jun. 2018)  (Read 168091 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: UnReal World - Now on Steam! (3.20 Patch 2, 17th Mar. 2015)
« Reply #1005 on: March 02, 2016, 11:02:33 pm »

Stat: Agility and Skill: Dodge (which you usually can't change except by picking a good Agility character) will keep you alive longer.  You can always dodge people that you can see.*

*And don't turn your back to someone that you're fighting.  They'll backstab you to death.

Also note that while you can't change starting dodge, you can train dodge. I've trained dodge to 100% on characters without high agility before simply by being involved in a lot of combat. Takes a while, though.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 03, 2016, 12:20:28 pm »

A bit dangerous to get in combat in order to train dodging, some villagers can be really hardcore from what some of my early test 3.30 characters experienced.

Note that rapids are not frozen in spring, so you can still use nets there.
Thanks for mentionning that, i didn't noticed, i guess the area i settled in isn't having rapids.
I'll have to explore more to find them then, instead of waiting full spring to come and wasting so many days where i am currently if it's only calm waters.

Though i have been surprised to be able to fish successfully regularly there in the holes i dig with my fishing rod, that's probably due to my fisherman ritual helping i think.

Anyone got some wolves in their new 3.30 "spring" explorations ?
On a previous character i managed to one shot a badger with a thrown spear and while i was trying to skin it to get my hideworking skill running, 3 wolves popped up , i wonder if the game simulate the meat attracting predators or if it was only some random rolls that accidentally made it look like it.

As i was far from any kind of cover, i thought it would have been difficult to deal with that, but they just moved away and let me in peace to finish my work and get a badger cut.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 03, 2016, 12:49:59 pm »

Haven't seen any wolves yet. A few bears and some Njerps, but that's the only dangerous stuff I've seen so far this version.

Current character is going quite well. She has a nice little homestead forming on a river. Easy walk to two decent sized villages (can't recall the group...Kiesseläiset maybe. And not too far a walk to several different cultures, so trade isn't too bad. Pretty far from the Drilik, but that's not a big deal.

Once I decided to settle down here I cleared out some land and started farming.
Spoiler: Homestead site (click to show/hide)

After a good while longer, the homestead is starting to really shape up. I have a smoking cabin done, the crops are doing well, and a fence nearly encompasses the entire land side of the area. The cellar is also reasonably full of food, although a lot of that is roasted so it won't last too long. But with the smoke cabin done I've started smoking some of the extra big fish I get, which is good.
Spoiler: Homestead now (click to show/hide)

The surrounding area. You can see the two villages to the west of me. To the south is my trap line, which I just got in a functioning state but hasn't netted me any big game yet. Sadly all the elk that were here when I started have moved on, but I'm hoping more will wander by eventually.
Spoiler: Surrounding Area (click to show/hide)

Further south is a previous campsite of mine with a few traps, but a Njerp has set up in that area so I'm avoiding it now. Might hire some villagers to help me hunt him down sometime, although that's always risky.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 03, 2016, 01:04:15 pm »

I can't wait for the elusive day when I actually kill an elk that I run into in the woods before it runs and vanishes into oblivion, rather then in the open mire. It has not come yet.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 03, 2016, 08:49:46 pm »

Quite a nice homestead Mephansteras, i only got my shelter+cellar so far in 3.30, i have yet to build anything bigger, i'm waiting for spring to really start on my future farm.

I ran into a bear during a long walk around the region i was in, i managed to hide behind a tree when the map zoomed in and waited a few turns, i moved out and noticed with surprise that the bear was now sleeping.

Decided to move a tile to get slightly closer (but not too much) to throw my spear.
Unfortunately i missed (i had a nasty malus due to fatigue, as i ran into the bear after a long walk, and of course no time to rest as the bear would have just been gone).
And as i was ready to reroll a new character, imagining the bear would be slightly angry and would try to replay a remake of the movie "The Edge", i was suprised to see that instead of charging angrily my guy and his badly crafted club that he had very few skill in fighting with, the bear just ran away in panic.

I decided it was better to not tempt my luck more and just moved to take back my spear and get back to my shelter, far away from the for now cowardly bear.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:53:31 pm by Robsoie »

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 03, 2016, 10:23:48 pm »

i was suprised to see that instead of charging angrily my guy and his badly crafted club that he had very few skill in fighting with, the bear just ran away in panic.

Bears shouldn't attack you unless you injure you I thought? Also, aim for the legs. Easily handled a bear because he was crawling at me.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 04, 2016, 12:14:53 am »

Question, just started playing again.. Is there a way to add firewood to fires? Or do I just let it burn out and make a new one?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 04, 2016, 12:25:04 am »

Question, just started playing again.. Is there a way to add firewood to fires? Or do I just let it burn out and make a new one?
You can carry and drop any kind of timber to already burning fires to add to the burn time, or kick/pull a log into it if it's too heavy :P
Or at least that's what my memory tells me from a ton of patches back.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 04, 2016, 02:23:18 am »

You can carry and drop any kind of timber to already burning fires to add to the burn time, or kick/pull a log into it if it's too heavy :P
Or at least that's what my memory tells me from a ton of patches back.

Yeah, you can push more wood into a fire with the p command
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 04, 2016, 09:18:54 pm »

The Njerp is dead! Ran across him by accident as I was checking around the local area. Hadn't seen him in a while and though he'd finally left. He hadn't.

Bastard tries to charge me. Fortunately for me, I had my longbow and an arrow out since I was hunting. Got a super lucky first hit on him that knocked him unconscious for a bit. Fired a ton of arrows into him that hurt him but didn't kill him, he woke up and charged me, I hit him with some more arrows and he finally died.

Now I have a mace, a mail hauburk, and some leather greaves. Not bad, not bad at all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 04, 2016, 09:47:03 pm »

Are there any fun goals you guys like to try for? Aside from the Game Course or what's on the wiki?

EDIT: can you put doors on the north side of a house?

EDIT: Killed my first bear! had to go hunting as I was starving and fishing was bad, it took a convenient nap so I slit its throat in its sleep--fought it until it ran away, then tracked it down and cooked it where it lay. Now i'm tanning its hide so I can stay warm in the winter... Hopefully I'll have a cabin up by then as well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:57:51 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1016 on: March 06, 2016, 12:35:59 am »

Just had the most amazing hunt in this game.

I saw an Elk in the distance from the mountain near where I was building my homestead, and decide it's time to stock up on meat before the weather gets too hot for drying (started in Spring, still early enough).

I go hunting for it, and put an arrow in it when I find it - giving it a bleeding wound in the thorax. It runs and I begin the chase, relying on my good tracking skill and endurance to make up for its speed advantage. Soon I notice new tracks intermingled with the Elk. Bear tracks! I continue following the Elk, and the Bear tracks are right there with it all the way.

After a while of tracking I finally find my prey... on the ground partially eaten! Bear tracks lead away to the west. As I already have a set of bear fur from the bear I had previously killed, and plenty of meat right in front of me, I left my fellow hunter to his own devices and skinned and butchered the gift he left for me instead.

It's the little things like this that make me love this game all the more.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 06, 2016, 01:00:37 pm »

Bears are considered spirit animals, kin or near-kin to humans. If you know the Sacrifice for a Newly Killed Animal ritual, you should definitely perform it and thank the bear.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 06, 2016, 03:49:42 pm »

Bears are considered spirit animals, kin or near-kin to humans. If you know the Sacrifice for a Newly Killed Animal ritual, you should definitely perform it and thank the bear.

Sadly, I've killed enough bears at this point to know I'm going to Finnish hell.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 06, 2016, 06:18:53 pm »

Sadly, I've killed enough bears at this point to know I'm going to Finnish hell.
So you are in line for a resurrection then?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 76