Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Towards the Lands of Dawn IC Thread  (Read 2105 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Towards the Lands of Dawn IC Thread
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:35:13 pm »

Towards the Lands of Dawn: IC Thread

If you are here and you have no idea what this is all about, I suggest going to the OOC thread for a full introduction. Here, I am simply going to post the rules, the map (updated at all times if possible), and in the next post, the introduction to the story. Let the game begin.

The Economic System is centered on the EPI - the Economic Prosperity Indicator. Every region and city has a base value - for a region, it is a lot of abstract things, such as fertility of land, available resources, how easy it is to settle, etc. For a city, the base value is its population, and it can increase.

The EPI acts as a multiplier on these values. Every city and region has an EPI that has a base amount of 1, which is increased through the building of upgrades. As such, to calculate the income of a city or region, all you have to do is "Base value" * EPI - Taxes. The taxes will generally be a set percentage.

You will find a list of resources (what is required for upgrades, and what increases the EPI of regions in some cases), upgrades (what increases the EPI) and troops (what you will often spend all that money on) in the spreadsheet below.

Towards the Land of Dawn Spreadsheet

Note A: Regions with cities can't also exploit resources. If you wish to acquire resources, you'll need to colonize.

Note B: We know some people don't like google docs for some reason. However, using a Spreadsheet is a life-saver due to how number-crunchy the economy can get - it allows us to do nearly instantly what could otherwise take hours.

Note C: Food upgrades increase a city's population limit. This is still going through some balancing to avoid players on plains being grossly overpowered. Basically, though, there's a growth rate that allows population to rise if there is space for it.

To explain the warfare system briefly, every unit in TLD deals morale and physical damage. Morale damage, if it is kept up long enough, will make the enemy break and run; physical damage will wipe out the unit. Most of the sheet on warfare is self-explanatory apart from that. If you have questions, ask them on the OOC thread.

(yes this is short but DH is the one who generally explains it damnit)

Concerning colonization: the cost for settling new regions will be mostly determined by GM fiat. It will generally involve a cost in money (a rather large one) and a miniquest decided by the GM.

We are using the standard posting format: fluff in normal text, thoughts in italics, speech in color, actions for the GMs to roll / record (ie "Send explorers in the region X" or "Build Y upgrade in Z city") are bolded.

This post will probably be expanded upon with time.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:04:30 pm by Shootandrun »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: Towards the Lands of Dawn IC Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:35:31 pm »

The year is 827 AHY, and it is an historical day.

The six of you, governors of the colonies of Freigard, are standing together in a room, waiting for the ceremony to begin. The room you are standing in, to be precise, is at the top of the first airship spire of the New World and the second spire of the World.

It was an expensive affair. The first functional airship is only four years old; it took a small fortune to invent a model capable of going across the ocean, let alone build an airship spire in Freigard and another in Ankestadt (which was chosen because it was roughly in the center of the colonies). No other nation has built any - mainly because few colonies are developed enough to deserve one, and the cost is too big to make it worth it to build some inside the Old World.

This little marvel, however, means there is only a delay of six weeks to contact the Old World, whereas the colonies to the south have to wait twice that time to exchange information with their governments.

Today, the first airship has arrived, and it has just gotten anchored.

[2] A small, pompous-looking man walks out. He does not even bother to salute any of you, content with reading a paper that was probably written weeks ago by the Chancellor. He starts speaking after having one last look at his orders.

"His Majesty, Sigismund VII of the Confederacy of Freigard, wishes to inform you that I have been appointed as His Majesty's ambassador to the colonies. I will be responsible of carrying messages going one way or the other across the Sea. Last month, no less than four three were passed with a majority in the parliament that will influence these colonies.

In order to ensure the prosperity of His Majesty's colonies, the Act of Expansion allows, at last, the governors to begin colonizing once again the wilderness, for as long as they do so without offending the natives or putting themselves into dept.

In order to ensure the constant protection of His Majesty's colonies, the Militia Act allows the colonies to begin maintaining troops on their own, although it does not grant them the right to use these troops to attack their neighbors without the Parliament's approval and an envoy of His Majesty on the field to ensure that these troops will not be misused.

In order to promote the creation of a fleet securing the trade routes to the new world, the Act of the New Navy promises a year of full tax exemptions to all colonies which will manage to build at least one functional dry-dock between now and the year 837.

I will be waiting here for a week before returning to the Old World, if you wish to have me transport any messages to the Parliament."

With that, the small man left the room, having never said his name.

The powers you have just been granted are massive. The right to expand and maintain troops will finally leave you a little less dependent of the Parliament's good will. Currently, however, it is doubtful that any of you have the funds to organize the colonization of a new region. Still, it remains an amelioration.

What will you do, Governors?

-------------------------------------------------

((Players may now begin posting. The room where you are in (the top of the Colonial Spire) will act as a meeting place for you, where you can discuss politics or other matters with other governors without having to do so through letters or travels. It is assumed that all governors show up at the Spire every turn, and as such you will not have to go through the GMs to organize meetings.

Players start with money equal to the "Actual Income" indicated in the list of colonies in the spreadsheet. We are aware there's a small difference; we did the best we could to limit it to the bare minimum, though.))

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:32:17 pm »

Arne had been leaning against one of the walls of the meeting room, and waited patiently for that pompous bureaucrat to depart from the room. Then he sidled over to Valeran.

"Good day. If my maps and information are correct you're the governor of Tyllocom? I was wondering if you'd be open to forging some links between our colonies. For mutual protection and monetary value. There is of course the matter of the distance between us. I was thinking that we would both see fit to map the regions between us. You find a coastal path, and I'll find one straight overland. Split our efforts, double our chance to find a peaceful route, and possibly a bit more profit?"

While he spoke, he'd unrolled a rather crude map, and was gesturing at it in an animated way.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:34:41 pm »

Adrien had mostly dismissed the Parliment's representative, though the tax exemption sounded promising, the duration of it was not nearly tempting for it to be done straight away or for it to be a pressing concern. He was mostly bemused by the options he had available, before Swanberg had sidled over and gave him an intriguing offer.

"That information is correct my good sir, I am indeed Governer Valeran. And I see the merit in that plan. Mapping those regions would certainly benefit us, and who knows, we could end up having a viable route for a road between the colonies. I assume, by virtue of the map you have there, you are governer Swanberg?"

Adrien looked at the map that Arne had unrolled, intrigued by it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 02:42:00 am »

Armin bowed to the representative as he made his way out and looked at the gathered charts and maps. Yes, there would be a lot of work there...some here. Perhaps an enclave...Hm some camps maybe? So much work to do.

Armin barely paid any notice to his fellow governors at all, having too much on his mind at the moment. That is, until he heard mention of Governor Valeran. Valeran military family. Innovative. Young. Nearest neighbour.

Speaking to him would be useful, he decided. Still, he noticed, that he was busy speaking to the honourble von Swanberg. Or was it just Swanberg? He would have to make sure later on.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:14:49 am »

Arne nodded several times.

While he spoke he rolled up the map. It was barely useful at the moment.
"Indeed I am. I suppose that makes me the man in charge of New Verlon. My apologies for the crudeness of the map, but I haven't had much time to get it together, before being summoned here for this meeting."

"That concluded, what do you think of the promised tax exemption? I suppose its merit depends on how quickly taxes rise eh? Cant imagine they wont try to recoup their investment here quickly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:50:44 am »

Adrien himself nodded, before seeing that Another governer may've been interested in talking with him...

"Exactly my thoughts. It's not exactly going to be useful unless the colonies get a large influx of immigrants before then. And I doubt they would be able to recoup the costs so soon at any rate, haven't got much of worth in the region at this level of development. At any rate, it was a pleasure talking to you Governer Swanberg, I look forward to any further arrangements we may havein the future, good day to you."

With that, Adrien did a short bow before walking over to Armin, interested to see why the governer was also keen in talking with him. "Good tidings, friend, you had something you wished to speak to me about?"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 10:18:28 am »

Ludwig watched the speech of the representative and the following dealings between governors seemingly disinterested while taking deep draws from his ebony pipe. Every now and then he would stop to cough into a silken handkerchief.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 02:25:33 pm »

Armin was surprised on how this Valeran had read his mind so easily. Was it something on his face? The way he looked? Armin admitted to himself that he had no idea.

"Uh, Governor Valeran, I do indeed have a want to speak to you. As you can see on the maps and charts our colonies are the closest by both land and naval travel. I do believe we could exploit this geographical advantage with a uh, postal system. You might not have heard of a such things, but basically its a system of couriers that will transport information between certain points. Our two colonies, for example. Not a Freigardian concept at the least, just something I've read about of the East. If we set up such a system, we could much more easily respond to threats and any issues that may arise. We might even be able to expand it to the rest of the colonies too, should it work out."

"What do you say, Valeran?"
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 02:52:16 pm »

"An intriguing idea, and I do believe the confederacy has some form of system like it, if informal in nature. I only see one problem, in that being the route for said servise to take. There's a region of untamed wilderness that happens to be outside both our current settlements which precludes the development of a road, and neither of us have the seafaring capability to make the sea route viable. I will be all for this idea if we can get the needed infrastructure built. Was there anything else you needed to ask about, governer..."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 03:01:10 pm »

"No, unless you want to hear my idea about irrigating the whole continent, which I do believe is even more impractical than a postal system anyway. Perhaps another day, governor."

Armin bowed and returned to gazing at the maps.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 07:36:24 pm »

Swanberg lurked around for a few minutes watching some of the other meetings, before he headed out and chartered a swift boat back to New Verlon. There was much to be done in the coming months. He mused to himself idly as he sailed back home.
First and foremost I should ensure I secure both the defense of my people, and a good supply of food

Send scouts to the land region between myself and Tyllocom in order to determine a mapping expedition cost.
Upgrade Farms, Build Hospital. -5 C
0 C remaining.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:53:00 pm by Terenos »

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 07:50:49 pm »

After Sirkku finished listening to the ambassador he went off to a nearby table and unloaded various ledgers, reports, and the like. Going over them for a few hours the young man formulated a plan for how to develop his colony. Putting all the papers away he went to the boat he hired out to bring him ere and back to Sviriholm, having already decided on how to spend his time until the next gathering.
Return to Sviriholm.
Supervise the expansion of the Farms (2*) and Hunting Lodge (1*)
Raise a Colonial Militia (1*)
Send scouts inland to estimate the cost of expansion and mapping
1.8* remaining
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:42:29 pm by Emral282 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 08:26:12 pm »

Return to Tyllocom
Oversee the construction of an expansion to the farms (2d) and a hospital (3d)

Send scouts to the region due south of the colony to determine the cost of mapping/expansion of the colony.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:10:55 pm by Taricus »

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 08:27:35 pm »

Baron Otto von Klauswitz, second-in-command to Lord Ludwig of Tyrshand by command of His Majesty Sigismund VII of the Confederacy of Freigard, has temporarily taken over the management of Neu Freigard in the absence of the titular Governor, who seems to have fallen ill to the miasmas of the New World.

Lead an expedition to the unclaimed lands southeast of Neu Freigard to evaluate the region's resources and determine the feasibility of colonial expansion in the area, including the likely required funds.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 01:58:00 am by Azthor »
Pages: [1] 2