Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Zombie Survival OOC  (Read 2922 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Survival Interest Check
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 08:51:20 pm »

A - Slow zombies give more dread. Fast zombies are also vulnerable to head shots.
The point of fast zombies is that you can't evade them by walking away. A single fast zombie is a threat; a single slow zombie is not. A mob of zombies is a big threat that you probably can't kill, regardless of type.

Also no special infected as that's dumb... Death is not a super power guys.
Plus rotting one. (That's a good thing.)

These are things i agree with.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 08:51:50 pm »

A - Slow zombies give more dread. Fast zombies are also vulnerable to head shots.
The point of fast zombies is that you can't evade them by walking away. A single fast zombie is a threat; a single slow zombie is not. A mob of zombies is a big threat that you probably can't kill, regardless of type.

These are things i agree with.
Same.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 09:14:06 pm »

Fast zombies are just boring though in the sense that they don't inspire a true dread. Too powerful, too easy to get infected. The slow zombies are more interesting due to the following reason: They just keep coming. You can "outwalk" death for a while but it is always there, always coming closer. So you killed 499 zombies? That's nice, but maybe there's a slow one still on his way waiting fro you to drop your guard. With fast ones? 499 zombies dead? Too fast for there to be any stragglers I'm afraid.
[/quote]

No idea what you mean by this.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:16:21 pm by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:28 pm »

Fast zombies are just boring though in the sense that they don't inspire a true dread. Too powerful, too easy to get infected. The slow zombies are more interesting due to the following reason: They just keep coming. You can "outwalk" death for a while but it is always there, always coming closer. So you killed 499 zombies? That's nice, but maybe there's a slow one still on his way waiting fro you to drop your guard. With fast ones? 499 zombies dead? Too fast for there to be any stragglers I'm afraid.
Fast zombies can be slow; they're not immune to losing/breaking limbs. In fact, as injured slow zombies can keep up with the horde far better than injured fast zombies, fast zombies actually have a wider array of speeds...

Plus 1, but rotting because it's zombies.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 09:32:43 pm »

Fast zombies can be slow; they're not immune to losing/breaking limbs. In fact, as injured slow zombies can keep up with the horde far better than injured fast zombies, fast zombies actually have a wider array of speeds...

Plus 1, but rotting because it's zombies.

Ah, I understand the rotting thing.

Maybe it's just personal taste but I've always seen Fast zombies as more of an "action" thing over survival horror "slow" zombies. I subscribe to the Max Brooks zombies myself.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 09:38:10 pm »

The main advantage I see in fast zombies is that it's easier to make a threat that you need to confront, but can do so with conventional weapons. With slow zombies, about the only way to do so is to make a zombie or two confront the characters in an enclosed space. With fast zombies, you can chuck a zed or two anywhere and have that work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 09:50:50 pm »

Honestly, in a zombie apocalypse, or any severe societal breakdown, what you need to worry about are other people. Zombies are predictable.

With fast zombies I see them as too much of a threat and less zombies [more like infected]

With the slow zombies your concern of out-running them IS a thing however that can play into the zombies favor. A human who can run is likely to choose that over fighting a hoard. THen they start getting sloppy. "I can run [mistake 1] past/through all these zombies to safety [mistake 2]" This whole situation makes it seem like you have time, a foul assumption, and also has you underestimate the zombie at hand. As you run from it you are less likely to pay as much attention to WHERE you go and more to the fact that you are going.

Let's take the same situation with an infected. They dash at you, you can't get away as they don't tire. You either A) All die, B) Most die C) kill all the zombies. I don't like the A,B,C,D situation. The choice to run with slow zombies opens up a myriad of possibilities past simple fighting. You should NEVER be fighting. It's loud and draws attention.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 10:01:02 pm »

Fast zombies should be escapeable. Certainly they are, if you apply the biggest advantage a human has over a zombie: Intelligence.

Zombies can't drive cars or ride bikes. Zombies can be outwitted by exploiting their lack of dexterity (remember, fast =/= agile and it certainly =/= dextrous) or their simple inability to understand some things we do, or by catching them in a trap. Doing something like that seems more dramatic and proper than escaping a threat with a brisk walk.

And yes, dealing with other people and the needs of the human body should be a major issue. But that's true regardless of zombie type.
Sig

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:04 pm »

1. A & B
I'd prefer the Max Brooks zombies, but I'll accept "running infected" every so often.

2. A
It brings a challenge of needing to be quiet, and brings plenty of places for either living humans or unliving zombies to hide.

3. A
I'd prefer a small group of friends I can trust, than a mosh pit of people who I can get into huge fights with.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 10:08:01 pm »

Hate to interrupt the nice talk, but here are the votes based on 9(now 10) people.

Fast Zombies
City (Tie broken)
Small Group

Ninja'd T-t-t-tie breaker. City it is folks.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:20:27 pm by Immortal »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 10:19:47 pm »

Okay think through the car thing. It's an AWFUL idea. Roads will be blocked to hell, it'll simply attract more zombies with noise, where will we find gas? Where will we find replacement parts? Do any of our people have the knowledge to perform on the road repairs? Cars are a death trap. Keep that in mind if this shit ever does really go down by the way.

Speaking of traps, what trap do  you propose we do? How many zombies can it catch? Taking on a fast zombie is a harder proposition to the point of impossible. Say we have 75 people [as is max] against 2,000 zombies [as is minimum I believe.] I don't like our odds.

I'd say friendly fire from JUST PANIC takes out at least 10 people [optomistic by the way], while cowardince claims another 5 [REALLY optomistic]. 60/2,000.

Stopping there we can assume that each person needs to kill 33 zombies. Not bad, but it does get worse.

So let's just say that of our 60 people 1/2 are armed with guns and 1/2 with melee.

Assuming also that bites have 100% transference rate.

Now, before I continue I need to point out that running away won't work due to people getting trampled and the zombies being able to keep up with us a bit. We'll tire before we outrun them in any case so that'd lead to a route for the zombies favor.

Now guns aren't hard to come across in America but that leads to even MORE friendly fire with a group of 60 [We'll say 1/3 for brevity] so we're down to 40. Not good... Now as the 2,000 zombies converge on our location [attracted by gun-fire and other such noises] we make our stand. We'll say we do REALLY good and knock out 1,000 zombies. 40/1000 is actually better than where we were. Sure friends are lost and some lose it over that [0 for this projection though. We're tough minded] So now we need each person to kill 25 each. NOT BAD AT ALL!!!

Here's where it goes downhill. Those who engage in melee combat take out 5 each [REALLY OPTOMISTIC HERE] before they die. We'll say we lose 20 people. So the stats are now 20/900 [45 each].

Still too large of a group to run. We need MORE fighting. The remaining 20 hold of valiantly taking out 10 with guns and then resorting to melee until only 5 remain [small enough to run without getting trampled AND for us to realize we're fucked.] That means we lost 15 people who took out 15 kills [not their required number.] and now for even more bad news....

Those who got bit come back pretty quickly. SO of the 35 people who died 35 come back. The total now is 5/710 [142 each]... NOT good when we consider we have the entire town [smallest population] on our tails due to noise. Now we run until we tire and they catch up [they don't tire]

So I'm just saying we can likely survive slow zombies.

Though I welcome alternate projections.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Survival OOC
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 10:20:25 pm »

Well... too little too late.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
Re: Zombie Survival OOC
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 11:16:15 pm »

If this becomes a huge game were gonna need lots of people, so

A
A
B-A

Also people make !!fun!!
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 11:45:09 pm »

Okay think through the car thing. It's an AWFUL idea. Roads will be blocked to hell, it'll simply attract more zombies with noise, where will we find gas? Where will we find replacement parts? Do any of our people have the knowledge to perform on the road repairs? Cars are a death trap. Keep that in mind if this shit ever does really go down by the way.
For long-term use? Hells yes.
Once in a while, if the opportunity strikes? It's better than becoming, in the words of Colombus, a human Happy Meal.

Speaking of traps, what trap do  you propose we do? How many zombies can it catch? Taking on a fast zombie is a harder proposition to the point of impossible. Say we have 75 people [as is max] against 2,000 zombies [as is minimum I believe.] I don't like our odds.
Oh, sure, if the odds are like that bike away like demons. But if it's us in a prepared area, against a handful of zombies (remember, the hordes will disperse when we enter the wilderness, because there's just so much of it), we'll be able  to set up all sorts of traps, from snares and falling logs to pits and broken bridges. Really, though, exact plans depend too much on zed psychology for me to guess at them right now.

I'd say friendly fire from JUST PANIC takes out at least 10 people [optomistic by the way], while cowardince claims another 5 [REALLY optomistic]. 60/2,000.

Stopping there we can assume that each person needs to kill 33 zombies. Not bad, but it does get worse.

So let's just say that of our 60 people 1/2 are armed with guns and 1/2 with melee.

Assuming also that bites have 100% transference rate.
Which is true no matter what kind of zombie we face.

Now, before I continue I need to point out that running away won't work due to people getting trampled and the zombies being able to keep up with us a bit. We'll tire before we outrun them in any case so that'd lead to a route for the zombies favor.
Don't tell me you're trying to go for an easy mode...

Now guns aren't hard to come across in America
Depends on where, and most importantly if we're actually in America.

but that leads to even MORE friendly fire with a group of 60 [We'll say 1/3 for brevity] so we're down to 40. Not good... Now as the 2,000 zombies converge on our location [attracted by gun-fire and other such noises] we make our stand. We'll say we do REALLY good and knock out 1,000 zombies. 40/1000 is actually better than where we were. Sure friends are lost and some lose it over that [0 for this projection though. We're tough minded] So now we need each person to kill 25 each. NOT BAD AT ALL!!!

Here's where it goes downhill. Those who engage in melee combat take out 5 each [REALLY OPTOMISTIC HERE] before they die. We'll say we lose 20 people. So the stats are now 20/900 [45 each].

Still too large of a group to run. We need MORE fighting. The remaining 20 hold of valiantly taking out 10 with guns and then resorting to melee until only 5 remain [small enough to run without getting trampled AND for us to realize we're fucked.] That means we lost 15 people who took out 15 kills [not their required number.] and now for even more bad news....

Those who got bit come back pretty quickly. SO of the 35 people who died 35 come back. The total now is 5/710 [142 each]... NOT good when we consider we have the entire town [smallest population] on our tails due to noise. Now we run until we tire and they catch up [they don't tire]
Still true with all kinds of zombies.

So I'm just saying we can likely survive slow zombies.
I'm not convinced the situation would be that much different in anything but how fast we die if we did the same things with a horde of 2,000 slow zombies.

Though I welcome alternate projections.
Here's something: We use the one organ that puts us above zombies and don't fight a horde of 2,000 zombies, regardless of type.
Sig

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 06:08:01 pm »

Real game is up.

Now guns aren't hard to come across in America
Depends on where, and most importantly if we're actually in America.
Canada/US, I could care less, there's more guns in Canada actually. Lets say we are in a climate region like New York (I assume it's slightly warmer than Toronto?)
Pages: 1 [2] 3