Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Cube World  (Read 40726 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cube World
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2013, 04:52:21 am »

Looks like everyone is going to be waiting a bit longer. It turns out buying it is also taking longer due to Denial of Service attacks in addition to high traffic.

As well a lot of spam bots.

Also no mod support.

This isn't looking good. Though I've been waist high in the hype the community surrounding this game has... This game certainly has its irrational rabid fans.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:59:28 am by Neonivek »

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2013, 04:59:35 am »

I saw a thread about this on 4chan and I do have to say that Cube World looks a lot more enjoyable than Minecraft. Maybe I could play it when I get a new computer next month. Until then I'll keep watching.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2013, 05:04:26 am »

Cube World looks a lot more enjoyable than Minecraft.

Not even comparable really. Their only similarities is generated worlds and voxel graphics.

People have said that it is much closer to World of Warcraft then it is to Minecraft.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2013, 05:13:13 am »

Cube World looks a lot more enjoyable than Minecraft.

Not even comparable really. Their only similarities is generated worlds and voxel graphics.

People have said that it is much closer to World of Warcraft then it is to Minecraft.

...In hindsight I'll pass on this game as if it's anything like World of Warcraft I'm likely not going to want to even hear it's name mentioned in hushed tones. Thank you for pointing this out to me. I really appreciate it as you've saved me some time and effort in the long run.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2013, 05:30:47 am »

I haven't gotten a WoW vibe at all, more like zelda/monster hunter/dark souls/arcade mashup thrown in random cubed endless adventure... The only comparison I can actually make is the gear is colored by rarity and there are mounts... but WoW doesn't exactly hold the monopoly on these things lol.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2013, 05:45:35 am »

Yeah I agree that it's not much like WOW as so many other games.
At least look up some informatuive youtube vids, you might find that it may seem more fun than you think it is.
Sure it may seem grindy, at times.. most of the time..
However there is no level cap or skill cap at all, so you can go on forever if you like.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2013, 09:12:26 am »

It's still alpha. Of course it's grindy. There's no NPC quests yet or anything else to gain XP except killing wildlife.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2013, 09:44:28 am »

It's still alpha. Of course it's grindy. There's no NPC quests yet or anything else to gain XP except killing wildlife.

Assumign the quests aren't just grind quests... which there is nothing to say they won't be.

While many of the more fanatical of the fans suggest this game is only 5% done, my estimates is that the game is a lot closer to completion in terms of outright content then it would appear on the surface. It is likely going to go to Beta within a year and full release shortly after that.

"I haven't gotten a WoW vibe at all"

It is still far more similar to WoW then it is to Minecraft. What with the grinding out percentiles of a percentiles in equipment and endless mindless grinding and a skill bar that you watch like a hawk to cool down so you can use it like a piano.

The crafting recipes you buy in stores and the raid bosses.

Which is kind of the thing. It is closer to WoW then Legend of Zelda and many of the other games you mentioned.

more like zelda/monster hunter/dark souls/arcade mashup thrown in random cubed endless adventure

Yeah because in Monster Hunter you fight big monsters! and in Dark Souls you fight monsters... and in Legend of Zelda you fight monsters... and in Arcades you fight monsters.

I look at the game in a purely mechanical sense in how the game is played. While aesthetically it might have a lot more similarities to other games, as well as certain themes, yet those are of low importance of validity in my eyes.

However there is no level cap or skill cap at all, so you can go on forever if you like

Let me correct this for some people. There is no level limit as in you can keep leveling up forever if you desired and you can always put a skill point into a skill.

However the game is designed with two things in mind
1) Each level costs more and more exp
and
2) Each skill point is worth less and less

Eventually you will hit the game's soft limit where it either takes too long to gain anymore exp and/or the increase in any skill point is too little. As well the items cap out very early.

This is a lot like Boarderland's Badass ranks. Eventually it will take entire runs through a single character doing everything just to get a single token, yet each token is worth less and less. Making the soft cap somewhere around 20% (I forgot exactly what it was).

In other words it isn't unlimited progression.

---

Yes there is no games that can hype me enough to pierce my wall of impenetrable negativity.

As the game is right now it is a 5/10. Which I don't have to justify, I just have to wait a single month.

Then it will be a 6/10 a few months after that because of a few features. Now whether or not it can boost itself to a 7/10 is another question.

I'll leave why I purchased this a mystery given that review.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:15:59 am by Neonivek »

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2013, 10:57:09 am »

[...]
I'll leave why I purchased this a mystery given that review.
Dammit, what a teaser. :D
Overall, I agree with Neonivek. In its current state, this game quickly becomes boring. It lacks diversity of things to do. It'll surely improve in the following months, but for the time being it's "just" a good 3-4 hours ride (at least, in solo).
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »

So, this is 20 USD? That is quite a bit of money to put down, if it was like 10 or 15 that would be a lot more doable. But its 5 dollars a bit too much. I do have like 70 usd in the bank, but I was planning on using it on Steam Summer sales. And from what Neo said, it doesn't really seem worth it quite yet.

It does look rather cool though.

(edit: Would you guys say it was worth...whatever it is in USD?...I mean, I do have money to spare and I watched Yogscast videos of it and looks up my alley. But not sure. Quite an investment for me)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 01:08:23 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2013, 12:56:13 pm »

Oh look...
Neonivek posted a large wall of text...

Instant Summery...
 I hate this game for X reasons some of which may or may not be true but I need to tell you all my opinion cause I believe that it matters to all...

Response...
 Generally ignore...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2013, 01:08:43 pm »

Oh look...
Neonivek posted a large wall of text...

Instant Summery...
 I hate this game for X reasons some of which may or may not be true but I need to tell you all my opinion cause I believe that it matters to all...

Response...
 Generally ignore...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2013, 01:09:56 pm »

I hate this game for X reasons some of which may or may not be true but I need to tell you all my opinion cause I believe that it matters to all

Yep spot on! I definitely said I hate the game and fully believe that I am the king of the universe and that my words cure cancer.

A+

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2013, 01:33:09 pm »

So, this is 20 USD? That is quite a bit of money to put down, if it was like 10 or 15 that would be a lot more doable. But its 5 dollars a bit too much. I do have like 70 usd in the bank, but I was planning on using it on Steam Summer sales. And from what Neo said, it doesn't really seem worth it quite yet.

It does look rather cool though.

(edit: Would you guys say it was worth...whatever it is in USD?...I mean, I do have money to spare and I watched Yogscast videos of it and looks up my alley. But not sure. Quite an investment for me)

:P

Personally, I like to see both arguments for and against a game. It helps greatly in purchasing.

Take for example. If one had a friend that really wanted to be a singer, but said friend sucked so bad it was like nails on a chalk board. It doesn't help said friend (or actually family member as well, cause I notice family is usually blind to that kind of thing) at all to be positive and go "wow yeah, such an amazing voice! you really need to go to america's got talent!!)...

Anyway, that is just my take on it. Probably be only thing I say about it, since I find its far too off topic.

Anyway, worth the money? :P It looks like a lot of fun. But, I wouldn't have anyone to play it with...my friend I play games with already spent money on a couple games, so he wouldn't be able to spend 20 dollars or however much it is.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »

I hate this game for X reasons some of which may or may not be true but I need to tell you all my opinion cause I believe that it matters to all

Yep spot on! I definitely said I hate the game and fully believe that I am the king of the universe and that my words cure cancer.

A+
Seriously though man, almost every review I have seen from you about an Indie game has been 80% hate towards its mechanics while attempting to compare it to another game and the remaining 20% is you either saying don't buy it or that you regret buying it, or that you secretly love it...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19