Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1180 1181 [1182] 1183 1184 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746916 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Cheese Supremacist Megathread.
« Reply #17715 on: June 18, 2015, 09:39:20 am »

It's like ich bin ein berliner.

I guess kinda... Except Russian media apparently didn't seem to notice it and Niinistö is hardly sympathetic towards Russia.

Then why did he do the speech in Russian if it seems like he's the type that would rather speak in Finnish than Russian unless forced to? Not claiming that he actually WAS forced (never saw the speech anyway).

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17716 on: June 18, 2015, 09:46:45 am »

Out of good old fashioned politeness perhaps?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17717 on: June 18, 2015, 02:20:42 pm »

I think I remember Putin has recently done something like that in Germany when he addressed Merkel in German.

maybe it's related to this
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17718 on: June 18, 2015, 07:37:42 pm »

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #17719 on: June 18, 2015, 10:57:34 pm »

Okay, I think the Catalan talk can go on, just stay civil and let's maybe stop the nitpicking about the details of medieval succession out of this thread.

MetalRock, I'd also appreciate it if you could give supporting evidence to your claims (like those about international law), instead of just stating the same thing ad nauseum
As I have said before, I am no lawyer and I have no idea of international laws. The only thing I can do is to provide the experts' articles:

"In international law, the right of self-determination that became recognized in the 1960s was interpreted as the right of all colonial territories to become independent or to adopt any other status they freely chose. Ethnic or other distinct groups within colonies did not have a right to separate themselves from the "people" of the territory as a whole. Today, the right of groups to govern themselves is increasingly intertwined with human rights norms, in particular the rights of minorities and indigenous peoples. While no right to secession has yet been recognized under international law, it is possible that such a right may be accepted in the future as an exceptional measure, if a distinct group of people is systematically denied the right to participate in the government of the state or if individuals within such a group suffer systematic and gross violations of human rights that make their participation in that state impossible.

Those looking for "the" definition of self-determination will be disappointed, for many of the texts are deliberately ambiguous or even contradictory. Nonetheless, we must ultimately try to articulate the international norm of self-determination in terms that are sufficiently precise so that it continues to be relevant in the post-colonial era.

To concede to minorities, either of language or religion, or to any fractions of a population the right of withdrawing from the community to which they belong, because it is their wish or their good pleasure, would be to destroy order and stability within States and to inaugurate anarchy in international life; it would be to uphold a theory incompatible with the very idea of the State as a territorial and political unity.[5]

However, this commission did suggest that, at least under extreme oppression, a kind of self-determination by Åland citizens might be possible "as an altogether exceptional solution, a last resort when the State lacks either the will or the power to enact and apply just and effective guarantees."

The Princeton Encyclopedia of Self-Determination
http://pesd.princeton.edu/?q=node/254

Even taking in account the ambigous definition of self-determination, Catalonia does not meet its requirements in any way. Catalans are not and have never been a different ethnic group, a colony or oppressed (on the contrary, their industry and wealth was impulsed by the rest of Spain, so they are now the richest region), they have never been conquered by force and they have participated in the government of Spain as much as anyone. This is why the separatists in Catalonia claim the "right to decide" (which is invented by them and does not exist), because they do not meet the requirements for the right of self-determination.

Aw, if I can't nitpick historical details, then there's not much I can really say. Upside is that argument made me want to mod CKII to have a correct Iberia, so it wasn't all terrible.

My apologies to MetalRock, that argument stopped being about Catalan nationalists a long time ago.
No worries. I got too involved in this discussions, my fault.

In fact, the discussion in itself gave me an idea for a roleplaying campaign. Has anybody played the roleplaying game "the Call of Cthulhu" here or read any book of H. P. Lovecraft? What would happen if the Cthulhu nation existed? An ancient nation of Cthulhu sectarians that pervived from the Ice Age to our days. Now, the Cthulhans (the ancestors of the Catalans) are ready to expand themselves and conquer the world to spread their cult and prepare it for the accession of Cthulhu. They would start as a separatist movement in Catalonia, of course, but their true plan is to conquer the entire mediterranean coast (the Catalan Countries) and then the world. I know the idea needs more development, but this is promising.

By the way, the origin of the word Catalan is not Cuthulan (just in case somebody believes that). The most plausible theory is that the French called them Chatelain (people from the land of castles (chateaus)) in the 9th century. So it has the same meaning as Castilian (person from the land of castles).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:11:31 pm by MetalRocks »
"Face each battle, each foe, as though it is your last.

One day it will be"

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17720 on: June 18, 2015, 11:10:01 pm »

I'm gonna answer that in two ways: A) The idea of a nation of cthulhu cultists sounds interesting, but I don't know how close to the normal style stuff that is. Usually it's about secrecy and dark rituals in the night, not national-tier Mardi Gras of Madness levels.

And B) Are you seriously equating the Catalan independence movement to like fucking Cthulhu cultists who want to bring about the end of the world by raising a great old one? Seriously? That's the nerdiest way to say your enemies are subversive degenerates I've heard of, but it's still fucking crazy. Yes, I realize it's fiction, but so were the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, doesn't make that any less horrible for the implications of your mindset.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17721 on: June 18, 2015, 11:18:01 pm »

I'm gonna answer that in two ways: A) The idea of a nation of cthulhu cultists sounds interesting, but I don't know how close to the normal style stuff that is. Usually it's about secrecy and dark rituals in the night, not national-tier Mardi Gras of Madness levels.
Not all the Catalans would be cultists of Cthulhu, and most of them are inmigrants from the rest of Spain. Only some of them would be the descendants from the original Cthulhans. Probably those that are now in the government of Catalonia and leading the secesionist parties. Maybe some business owners and some rich-men. Only at a bourgeoisie level.

And B) Are you seriously equating the Catalan independence movement to like fucking Cthulhu cultists who want to bring about the end of the world by raising a great old one? Seriously? That's the nerdiest way to say your enemies are subversive degenerates I've heard of, but it's still fucking crazy. Yes, I realize it's fiction, but so were the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, doesn't make that any less horrible for the implications of your mindset.
It is only roleplaying. But they have some sectarian and fanatic ideas that makes them perfect for the role. Some of them claim to be an ancient ethnic group different from the rest of the Spanish, some of them claim they were an empire and they want it back, etc. Even the former president of the Government of the region of Catalonia (he was the president for 30 years and a Catalan nationalist) said that they should keep their blood clean and they should not marry Spanish from outside Catalonia or something like that.
There are many similarities.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:37:10 pm by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17722 on: June 18, 2015, 11:34:28 pm »

So you're saying that the Kingdom of Castille are the actual Catalans? I'm confused what you're saying.

Lets avoid the whole medieval catalan royal lineage thing lest we get stuck in that loop again.

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17723 on: June 18, 2015, 11:45:55 pm »

So you're saying that the Kingdom of Castille are the actual Catalans? I'm confused what you're saying.

Lets avoid the whole medieval catalan royal lineage thing lest we get stuck in that loop again.

No, I was only talking about ethimology. The francs conquered the north eastern part of Spain to the muslims and called it the "Marca Hispanica" (the Spanish March), that included today's Catalonia. And to those people that lived in the Spanish March, they called them Chatelains (in French it means people of the land of castles) because in other region of Spain the Christians were called Castilians ("Castellanos". It means also people of the land of castles). So Catalan is an evolution of Chatelain. There are many other theories, but this is the most plausible one.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:48:41 pm by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17724 on: June 18, 2015, 11:56:23 pm »

Oh hey guys, what's going on in h--

*reads last page*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #17725 on: June 19, 2015, 12:18:35 am »

To concede to minorities, either of language or religion, or to any fractions of a population the right of withdrawing from the community to which they belong, because it is their wish or their good pleasure, would be to destroy order and stability within States and to inaugurate anarchy in international life; it would be to uphold a theory incompatible with the very idea of the State as a territorial and political unity.[5]
If they hadn't made this comment about "order and stability" they actually would have used the word "anarchy" in an appropriate context, as the right to secede from any political entity at any time you want is one of the principles that seems to be accepted in (almost?) any anarchism.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17726 on: June 19, 2015, 01:39:55 am »

It is only roleplaying. But they have some sectarian and fanatic ideas that makes them perfect for the role. Some of them claim to be an ancient ethnic group different from the rest of the Spanish, some of them claim they were an empire and they want it back, etc. Even the former president of the Government of the region of Catalonia (he was the president for 30 years and a Catalan nationalist) said that they should keep their blood clean and they should not marry Spanish from outside Catalonia or something like that.
There are many similarities.

That sounds more like the Nazis or the Ku Klux Klan than the Cult of Cthulhu.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17727 on: June 19, 2015, 02:00:15 am »

Time to change the shitstorm topic, quick!

Belgium and France seized all Russian state property in their respective territories.
Russia is obviously not pleased and vows to retaliate.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:03:29 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17728 on: June 19, 2015, 02:08:14 am »

Time to change the shitstorm topic, quick!

Belgium and France seized all Russian state property in their respective territories.
Russia is obviously not pleased and vows to retaliate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17729 on: June 19, 2015, 02:58:47 am »

Even the former president of the Government of the region of Catalonia (he was the president for 30 years and a Catalan nationalist) said that they should keep their blood clean and they should not marry Spanish from outside Catalonia or something like that.
That sounds more like the Nazis or the Ku Klux Klan than the Cult of Cthulhu.
Yes, it is also racist, but endogamy and its degeneracy is also an important part of many H. P. Lovecraft's stories (for example, in "The Shadow over Innsmouth" or in "The Dunwich Horror"):

"Perhaps one reason - though it cannot apply to uninformed strangers - is that the natives are now repellently decadent, having gone far along that path of retrogression so common in many New England backwaters. They have come to form a race by themselves, with the well-defined mental and physical stigmata of degeneracy and inbreeding. The average of their intelligence is woefully low, whilst their annals reek of overt viciousness and of half-hidden murders, incests, and deeds of almost unnameable violence and perversity. "
The Dunwich Horror by H. P. Lovecraft

So, in this way, the Catalan separatists' endogamy and their thinking of being a different race fits pretty well in the Cthulhu Mytos.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:05:12 am by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"
Pages: 1 ... 1180 1181 [1182] 1183 1184 ... 1393