Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746937 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Cheese Supremacist Megathread.
« Reply #17685 on: June 17, 2015, 11:17:23 am »

Fits the the EU nations' staunch refusal to actually codify free speech as an inalienable right. Instead, they have a diaspora of conflicting and or only loosely federated local protections governing it.  That makes it a happy stomping ground for rich bastards who want Truthniness! instead of actual free speech.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17686 on: June 17, 2015, 11:23:48 am »

Errr.... We call it 'freedom of the press', and the distinction allows us to curb much of the general shenanigans that happen in America.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17687 on: June 17, 2015, 11:31:14 am »

With these all sorts of new terrific information control laws, I can be only surprised about why Russia isn't in EU law-sphere yet.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17688 on: June 17, 2015, 11:31:44 am »

Censorship truly tears down the differences between us all.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17689 on: June 17, 2015, 11:32:02 am »

Define shenanigans.

To me, There is much supression of popular discussion in europe if it is unpopular with the current political crowd. While not an EU member, the UK's stance on what constitutes libel in particular strike me as particularly officious. (Tell the truth, but it causes harm? LIBEL!)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17690 on: June 17, 2015, 11:39:18 am »

Define shenanigans.

To me, There is much supression of popular discussion in europe if it is unpopular with the current political crowd. While not an EU member, the UK's stance on what constitutes libel in particular strike me as particularly officious. (Tell the truth, but it causes harm? LIBEL!)
Relevant to this discussion:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-is-too-tolerant-and-should-interfere-more-in-peoples-lives-says-david-cameron-10246517.html

Here to remind you that Cameron said that laws should not protect people from being oppressed.
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17691 on: June 17, 2015, 12:53:04 pm »

EU - websites are liable for user comments

I'd put this in the WTF thread, but it probably fits here.

Weird - that's something I'd expect to hear from our authorities or the Russian ones, and not the bloody ECHR.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17692 on: June 17, 2015, 01:01:42 pm »

Weird - that's something I'd expect to hear from our authorities or the Russian ones, and not the bloody ECHR.
Well, EU does have the word "union" in its name... and SU also had the word "union"...

clearly EU is the new SU.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17693 on: June 17, 2015, 01:09:20 pm »

That's not the EU though, it's the European Court of Human Right, which depend on the Council of Europe

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17694 on: June 17, 2015, 01:12:21 pm »

Define shenanigans.

What. Seriously? That seems to enshrine lying, or at least non-disclosure, for your own benefit.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17695 on: June 17, 2015, 01:14:12 pm »

Define shenanigans.

What. Seriously? That seems to enshrine lying, or at least non-disclosure, for your own benefit.
No, no, see, you need to only talk about the socially approved truths, that's why they use freedom of the press to avoid American shenanigans like having your bullshit exposed. It's all for the good of civilization.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17696 on: June 17, 2015, 01:20:05 pm »

Well, it an exaggeration, but the point is that it's too easy to sue for libel in the UK, and some people use the threat of libel suits to science critics because they might not want to go to the troubles of defending themselves in court.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17697 on: June 17, 2015, 01:37:23 pm »

Well, EU does have the word "union" in its name... and SU also had the word "union"...

clearly EU is the new SU.

Russia is also a member of Council of Europe

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17698 on: June 17, 2015, 01:53:57 pm »

So I read the article, and that sounds absolutely horrible. What sort of nuts sit on this council?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17699 on: June 17, 2015, 03:39:35 pm »

Define shenanigans.

Those libel laws were undone... Sorta

So I read the article, and that sounds absolutely horrible. What sort of nuts sit on this council?
Europeans
Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 1393