Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747288 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Cheese Supremacist Megathread.
« Reply #17640 on: June 15, 2015, 03:10:51 am »

So your point is that they WERE believing the TV, until the economy entirely collapsed?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17641 on: June 15, 2015, 03:12:50 am »

Yeah other than the genocide and starting the apocalypse the Nazis were all right
Well, it explains our ongoing fascination with them... Just go through the SPIEGEL covers of previous years. That magazine has the nickname 'the assault rifle of democracy', and it still has more Chaplin moustache than your average Mel Brooks movie.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17642 on: June 15, 2015, 03:17:02 am »

So your point is that they WERE believing the TV, until the economy entirely collapsed?
1989-1990 Soviet TV wasn't that propaganda heavy, if I recall correctly, so it wasn't caused by TV alone - it was a collective illusion that everything should be better overseas (and that the USA ain't so bad) caused by the general ineptitude of the Soviet state in the 1980s.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17643 on: June 15, 2015, 03:36:57 am »

Oh, there's the same thing in the ex-GDR. Now they vote for the successor of their former opressor and form populist right-populist movements.

And we still give them money. Why do we keep doing that?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17644 on: June 15, 2015, 03:42:56 am »

In the 1990s, Russian television was under control of pro-Western liberals - it constantly droned about the horrors of communism and how the Western world is superior to Russia in all respects. If Russians are so gullible they'd believe everything Channel One says, why the liberal propaganda didn't affect them in the 1990s?
Russian state owned Television in 1990s wasn't liberal at all. It broadcasted  almost the same shit as it is today.

Neo-Fascists in Moldova\Georgia\
Genocide of innocent Serbs (about early 1990s Yugoslav events, not about 1999)
Mysterious Foreign powers supporting Chechen Rebels
WW2-cult

and more, and more, and more. They were more careful in not openly calling the West bastards who dream about destroying Russia but it is only because criticizing someone who gives you money to survive is not a wise idea.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17645 on: June 15, 2015, 04:23:22 am »

I still wonder why many Western documentaries (especially old English ones) are so focused on the actions (and I'd even say are clearly sympathetic) towards Nazi Germany when they describe the Eastern Front. I suppose it's the legacy of the Cold War.

EDIT: slightly clarified my position.

Um.... WTF  Where the fuck did you get that idea
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17646 on: June 15, 2015, 04:33:07 am »

Because when you ignore all the Jew-killing and people-exterminating the rise and fall of Nazi Germany makes for a pretty awesome story: The country rises from the depths of defeat, united by a common idea  burning in their hearts - breaking down the defenses of their old enemies without much effort, achieving in a couple weeks what others took years to do - and then taking on the giant country to the east, a place with vast and incredible reserves of industry and population, ruled by a dictator and an idea the same way - and it almost won...
Only that the Germans were suffering famine at the end of the war, too. Which is a direct consequence of Germany going to war.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17647 on: June 15, 2015, 05:52:08 am »

I still wonder why many Western documentaries (especially old English ones) are so focused on the actions (and I'd even say are clearly sympathetic) towards Nazi Germany when they describe the Eastern Front. I suppose it's the legacy of the Cold War.

EDIT: slightly clarified my position.

Um.... WTF  Where the fuck did you get that idea
By watching old Western WW2 documentaries on satellite TV - Viasat History used to show them many years ago.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17648 on: June 15, 2015, 06:10:35 am »

Well, I could imagine a documentary being sympathetic toward the plight of some German soldiers (Stalingrad was even less fun for them), but toward the Nazi regime? I don't remember ever seeing that.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17649 on: June 15, 2015, 06:33:03 am »

Because when you ignore all the Jew-killing and people-exterminating the rise and fall of Nazi Germany makes for a pretty awesome story: The country rises from the depths of defeat, united by a common idea  burning in their hearts - breaking down the defenses of their old enemies without much effort, achieving in a couple weeks what others took years to do - and then taking on the giant country to the east, a place with vast and incredible reserves of industry and population, ruled by a dictator and an idea the same way - and it almost won...
Only that the Germans were suffering famine at the end of the war, too. Which is a direct consequence of Germany going to war.
That's what makes the whole story palatable! The fascination of evil is balanced by the knowledge that 'crime doesn't pay'.
The Bay12 postcard club

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17650 on: June 15, 2015, 06:46:39 am »

Heh, if only. I hear "But at least Hitler built the autobahn" way more often than anything about how bad the famine was, e.g. his accomplishments inlands are emphasized above the damage he did. Even the damage others did is emphasized above that. Normally he's stylized as someone who may have caused everyone else big harm but "at least he cared about Germany... or something".
In short: I really wish that actually was the narrative.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17651 on: June 15, 2015, 06:53:02 am »

I wonder how much your arguments reflect the East/West cultural divide.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17652 on: June 15, 2015, 07:03:37 am »

By watching old Western WW2 documentaries on satellite TV - Viasat History used to show them many years ago.

I have never ever seen anything on TV casting the Nazi cause as righteous.  Nazis form a convenient punching bag in the west, you are allowed to hate them without any shades of gray.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17653 on: June 15, 2015, 07:21:53 am »

I wonder how much your arguments reflect the East/West cultural divide.
It does so very much. 'But he built the Autobahn!' would be enough to be branded a revisionist at the very least over here. Sometimes I wonder if reunification was a good thing...
The Bay12 postcard club

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17654 on: June 15, 2015, 07:25:34 am »

I don't know about documentaries, but if you watch early Western-made post-war films (50s-60s) about WWII and compare it to modern fare, you'll notice that on average the German soldier is portrayed much more sympathetically, the Allied side is less glorified, the themes are more about people dealing with forces beyond their control and less about good and evil, heroes and mooks.
The Nazis are always the bad guys, but the balance is different - there's more about regular Germans with a political/ideological fanatic thrown in in there, whereas nowadays it's the other way around.

Try any of the WWII-themed early Marlon Brando films for example (The Young Lions, Morituri). There's similar thing going with the films featuring the Japanese side.

70 years after the war the Nazis appear to have taken over WWII Germany completely.
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 1393