Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1157 1158 [1159] 1160 1161 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747085 times)

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #17370 on: June 05, 2015, 05:49:11 pm »

She did not inherit the County of Barcelona, ever. I don't know where the hell you're getting that, but it's completely false.
Quote from: MetalRocks
In 1162 Ramon de Berenguer died, so he was not the Count.
In 1164 Alfonso II inherited the County.
No, Alfonso I. He changed his name to Alfonso II when he inherited Aragon.
Wrong. Alfonso II of Aragon inherited the County of Barcelona on 1164, not in 1162. Don't you like wikipedia?
"Alfonso II (1×25 March 1157[1][2][3] – 25 April 1196), called the Chaste or the Troubadour, was the King of Aragon and, as Alfons I, the Count of Barcelona from 1164 until his death"
"Ramon Berenguer IV (Catalan pronunciation: [rəˈmom bəɾəŋˈɡe]; c. 1113 – 6 August 1162, Anglicized Raymond Berengar IV), sometimes called the Saint, was the Count of Barcelona"
So between 1162 and 1164 the Count of Barcelona was Petronila I of Aragón.

When did I say she was Catalan? I said that Alfonso II is Catalan because of his father, not because of his mother. I have no idea where the hell you're getting what you're saying about what I'm saying, because that is nothing of what I said.
You are right, but I would not be surprised if you had said it. Reading so many absurd things makes it difficult to me to accuratedly define them sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:50:59 pm by MetalRocks »
"Face each battle, each foe, as though it is your last.

One day it will be"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17371 on: June 05, 2015, 05:54:30 pm »

What about Galica, what's their say in all this?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17372 on: June 05, 2015, 06:18:35 pm »

There are several things I would like to clear up here.

1. The "Count" of Barcelona was a much more than just a count, just like the "Dukes" of Burgundy and Austria were more like kings, the Barcelonan counts were more like dukes. They were heralded by the other Catalan counts as primus inter pares, first among equals, which is the way in which they acknowledge the de facto dominance and sovereignity of the Count of Barcelona while still getting to keep their own titles.

2. The Crown of Aragon does not equal the Kingdom of Aragon. Subordinance to the Crown of Aragon does not equal subordinance to or being part of the Kingdom of Aragon. The "Crown of" term is used to group all territories ruled in a personal union, of which the Kingdom of Aragon was just one territory. A personal union is when two or more separate and autonomous-from-each-other states are ruled by the same person. In this case, the original union between the Kingdom of Aragon and the "County" of Barcelona was such a personal union, as as such the two entities remained separate from each other. Barcelona and the emergent Principality of Catalonia was never part of the Kingdom of Aragon. When the Count of Barcelona inherited the Kingdom of Aragon the title and county of Barcelona was not absorbed into or subsumed by the Kingdom, they both continued to exist beside and apart from each other. The later territories conquered or inherited in under the Crown of Aragon would be added in a similar manner, where they were ruled by the person who also happened to be King of Aragon, but not a part of the Kingdom of Aragon itself. That is the very reason a term other than the "Kingdom of Aragon" was needed to describe the Crown of Aragon.

3. Under these circumstances the Principality of Catalonia would continue to exist an entity separate from both the Kingdom of Aragon and later the Kingdom of Castille (just as the Kingdom of Aragon remained separate from Castille even after the Isabella-Ferdinand union, despite sharing regents) up until 1710-16 when the king decided he wanted one centralized and solidified state under him to which all Spanish territory belonged to.

What about Galica, what's their say in all this?

Galicia is on the other side of the country, so...?
Love, scriver~

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17373 on: June 05, 2015, 06:21:37 pm »

She did not inherit the County of Barcelona, ever. I don't know where the hell you're getting that, but it's completely false.
Quote from: MetalRocks
In 1162 Ramon de Berenguer died, so he was not the Count.
In 1164 Alfonso II inherited the County.
No, Alfonso I. He changed his name to Alfonso II when he inherited Aragon.
Wrong. Alfonso II of Aragon inherited the County of Barcelona on 1164, not in 1162. Don't you like wikipedia?
"Alfonso II (1×25 March 1157[1][2][3] – 25 April 1196), called the Chaste or the Troubadour, was the King of Aragon and, as Alfons I, the Count of Barcelona from 1164 until his death"
"Ramon Berenguer IV (Catalan pronunciation: [r?'mom b????'ge]; c. 1113 – 6 August 1162, Anglicized Raymond Berengar IV), sometimes called the Saint, was the Count of Barcelona"
So between 1162 and 1164 the Count of Barcelona was Petronila I of Aragón.
Actually, no one was count of Barcelona at that time. He was proclaimed Count in 1163, and King in 1164. So, still wrong; she never ruled Barcelona.
Wow. Great. You have a lot of imagination. So according to you and your sources between 1162 and 1164 the County of Barcelona was governed by... NOBODY. All this with the moors knocking on the County of Barcelona's doors. You know, a few years before this, the muslims destroyed Barcelona. But, hey! lets leave Barcelona without a Count and see what happens.
Here, read this:
"Petronila from Aragon (Huesca, June 29 1136 - Barcelona, October 15 1173). Queen from Aragon between 1157 and 1164 and countess from Barcelona between 1162 and 1164 Daughter of Ramiro II the Monk and Inés of Poitiers."
She even made her testament in Barcelona because she ruled from Barcelona (even though she was not the ruler of Barcelona according to you)

One day it will be"

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17374 on: June 05, 2015, 06:22:57 pm »

According to linguists, repetitio can be used to styllistically emphasize certain important parts of a conversation.
However, linguists also agree that this literary style should be used very sparsely, lest it becomes a repetitio ad nauseam, which will lead to the audience becoming so bored of the object of repetition that any further attempt at reasonable inquiry into the matter becomes senseless.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17375 on: June 05, 2015, 06:31:43 pm »

At this point I just want to see how long it can go on. I'm rooting for both of you!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17376 on: June 05, 2015, 06:37:59 pm »

The Stuart kings of England were Scottish rather than English. Therefore, by the same logic, all of England is actually Scottish.

Or how Catherine the Great was actually German, therefore Russia belongs to Germany. (There's a running joke about how Russia's most effective leaders have all been foreigners...)

The Tudor kings of England were Welsh rather than English. Therefore, by the same logic, all of England is actually Welsh.

The Stuart Kings of Scotland were originally Normans from Brittany, rather than Scottish. Therefore, by the same logic...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:40:59 pm by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17377 on: June 05, 2015, 06:38:34 pm »

The Stuart kings of England were Scottish rather than English. Therefore, by the same logic, all of England is actually Scottish.

Or how Catherine the Great was actually German, therefore Russia belongs to Germany. (There's a running joke about how Russia's most effective leaders have all been foreigners...)

The Tudor kings of England were Welsh rather than English. Therefore, by the same logic, all of England is actually Welsh.

rip welsh secession plans

you were part of greater wales all along

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17378 on: June 05, 2015, 06:39:14 pm »

THE SHEEP JOKES RETURN

Also, ITT: We argue over who will be annexed first by glorious Rock of Gibraltar

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17379 on: June 05, 2015, 06:41:36 pm »

rip welsh secession plans

you were part of greater wales all along

Why do you think "England" is now called Britain? There's more truth to what you're saying than you realise.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17380 on: June 05, 2015, 06:43:07 pm »

THE SHEEP JOKES RETURN

Also, ITT: We argue over who will be annexed first by glorious Rock of Gibraltar
No matter how fervently you call yourself that, the sheep will not be impressed. They've seen the truth, and it 'tis but a woolly pebble.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17381 on: June 05, 2015, 06:53:12 pm »

And so for all me freedom peeps who actually like democracy (a pox on Sweden D:<) unsurprisingly the blood god is the least trusted figure to lead a pro-EU campaign (even amongst EU supporters) Also, remember when we were briefly debating whether Juncker was deliberately snubbing Cameron, was trying to placate his unelected peers, or merely being honest? It's the former. Let's see if the great docking of Great Britain can be thoroughly undocked.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17382 on: June 05, 2015, 06:53:45 pm »

Gentlemen, I believe we have finally found a sustainable replacement for the Russo-Ukrainian flames.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17383 on: June 05, 2015, 06:55:52 pm »

Hey, what do you know, the different Wikipedia pages on the same topic in different languages say different things. I think we've found our problem here. Also, of course she made her testament in Barcelona- she was abdicating her throne to her son, who ruled Barcelona. Why would she do it anywhere else?
The problem is that the Spanish wikipedia pages say more things about Spanish stuff than the English ones.
In the testament of Petronella I (Queen of Aragon and Countess of Barcelona) in 1164 she says: Petronila, «aragonensis regina et barchinonensis comitissa» (Queen of Aragón and Countess of Barcelona), abdicates in his son Alfonso «regi aragonensi et comiti barchinonensi» (the Kingdom of Aragón and the County of Barcelona). In Barcelona, 18 of July of 1164.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Digitalized testament:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So Petronila was the Countess of Barcelona between 1162 and 1164, as I had said.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:57:37 pm by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17384 on: June 05, 2015, 06:57:44 pm »

Gentlemen, I believe we have finally found a sustainable replacement for the Russo-Ukrainian flames.
THE CUISINE IN IBERIA IS
S P I C Y
P
I
C
Y
Pages: 1 ... 1157 1158 [1159] 1160 1161 ... 1393