Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1156 1157 [1158] 1159 1160 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747103 times)

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #17355 on: June 05, 2015, 04:29:29 pm »

Figured as much, yet a book, written by a Castillian in the 14th century, depicts that very coat of arms. I had no idea that there were Catalan separatists 700 years ago.
Aham. Go and tell the experts that are still discussing which was the Coat of Arms of Aragon on that date. By the way, that book was written 200 years later, so is no proof of nothing.

Yes. See, two different things. The Crown of Aragon contained the Kingdom of Aragon, which ruled it.
Wrong. The King of Aragon was the sovereign of the Crown of Aragon, and all his possessions and territories were included in the Crown of Aragon (including the Kingdom of Aragon).

The King of Aragon, Alfonso II, was a decedent of the Counts of Barcelona; his mother was the Queen of Aragon. If you trace his lineage along his father's side, he clearly descended from Catalan counts, not Aragonese kings.
Sure, so he was the grandson of the King of Aragon but according to you he is not a descendant from the Aragonese Kings.

Doesn't matter; we're arguing whether the Crown of Aragon was ruled by Catalans or Aragonese.
I am not. The Kings of Aragon ruled Aragon and their title was inherited by bloodlines. They all were Aragonese.

You say Aragonese because he descended from the Kings of Aragon, who were Aragonese.
Exactly. You are getting it.

I say Catalan, because he descended from the counts of Barcelona, who were Catalan. The existence of a Kingdom of Catalonia is irrelevant if the King of Aragon was Catalan. So, the argument boils down to whether he was Aragonese or Catalan. If I can demonstrate that Alfonso II was Catalan, then therefore the Crown of Aragon was ruled by Catalans and the Catalans had, at one point, their own independent state; this would mean that you are wrong on that point. If you can demonstrate that Alfonso II was Aragonese, then therefore the Crown of Aragon was ruled by the Aragonese, and that the Catalans never held an independent state; this would mean that I am wrong on that point. Would you like to argue on these terms as to avoid other, more convoluted issues?
The King of Aragon explicitly said that the Count of Barcelona (that married his doughter) would inherit the entire Kingdom of Aragon if he survived him. In that case, you would have been right in some ways. But the Count of Barcelona died, so he did not inherit nothing, and the Kingdom of Aragon was inherited by the grandson of the King of Aragon (that also inherited the Count of Barcelona from his Aragonese mother). And, being that he was the grandson of the Aragonese King, who called himself the King of Aragon, you still try to deny he was Aragonese is absurd and crazy. I will not answer you again on this matter unless you have something interesting to say.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 04:33:23 pm by MetalRocks »
"Face each battle, each foe, as though it is your last.

One day it will be"

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17356 on: June 05, 2015, 04:32:36 pm »

Guys, take it to PM's, please.

Secession can occur even if the region in question has never technically existed as an independent entity before. This is a well established precedent Now, can we get over this?
This is a blank sig.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17357 on: June 05, 2015, 04:34:00 pm »

Why the hell should ancient monarchic dynasties have any bearing on modern law in the first place? That's so absolutely backwards, I can't even.
I mean, what the hell where they even dethroned for?
Imperial ambition
Good point.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17358 on: June 05, 2015, 04:38:06 pm »

The poll is set up incorrectly, "Catalonia" is a (potential) country, not a nation! For "nation", you have to change it to Catalan(s), or "Catalonians" maybe.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17359 on: June 05, 2015, 04:39:59 pm »

What? My poll might not be perfectly accurate? Shocking!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17360 on: June 05, 2015, 04:57:57 pm »

Alfonso II was the son of Ramon Berengeur IV, the Count of Barcelona who married the Queen of Aragon. The Kingdom of Aragon was inherited by his daughter, not his grandson. Alfonso II inherited it from his mother. If you want to get more specific, he renounced his former house, and accepted Ramiro as his father.
Exactly, Petronila (that was Aragonese) inherited the Crown of Aragon from her dead father. And she inherited the County of Barcelona from her dead husband. Therefor I do not know what you are arguing about. Her son, Alfonso II of Aragon, also Aragonese like her, inherited both titles from her.

Alfonso II is not related by patrilineal blood to Ramiro II. He is therefore not the by-blood descendant of Aragonese kings!
Because the King had only a doughter. Therfore his aragonese grandson was the legitim heir to Aragon.

Nominally, sure, you have me there. We're not talking nominal though, we're talking by blood. In this regard, you are wrong.
Ok, so he inherited his Aragonese Kingdom from his Aragonese mother, and was known as Alfonso II of Aragón, but he is not Aragonese at all. He is Catalan. This is what I call separatist's logic.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 04:59:50 pm by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #17361 on: June 05, 2015, 04:59:35 pm »

why does any of it matter

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17362 on: June 05, 2015, 05:01:24 pm »

why does any of it matter
Because I like to refute the Catalan separatists' history-fiction. I find it heartwarming.

One day it will be"

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17363 on: June 05, 2015, 05:04:27 pm »

Jet fuel cannot melt Catalan beams.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #17364 on: June 05, 2015, 05:04:41 pm »

im not talking about who is right because you are clearly in the wrong here

im talking about why does it matter whether or not the king of aragon was catalan

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17365 on: June 05, 2015, 05:06:07 pm »

Was Queen Isabella (formerly of Aragon) Catalan?

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17366 on: June 05, 2015, 05:07:57 pm »

Many times the truth is in the wrong side.

im talking about why does it matter whether or not the king of aragon was catalan
Because Catalan separatists like to remount their empire back to the ice age. It is important for them feeling like a great empire oppressed and imprisioned by Spain.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:10:46 pm by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17367 on: June 05, 2015, 05:10:27 pm »

You should try following the convulted Habsburg bloodlines.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17368 on: June 05, 2015, 05:14:17 pm »

I think Ispil is arguing that if the King of Aragon was Catalan, then there was a Catalan-ruled state that would give Catalan nationalists/separatists more legitimacy.

I will say, this seems like it could be one of those times where separatism is pretty bad. If I'm interpreting the current day Catalan situation correctly and they're one of the richest parts of Spain, it has some parallels to situations that happen in cities in the US. People get rich off the business the city brings, then the rich people move just outside the city limits and set up their own fancy little town. They stop paying taxes to the city so everyone else stops reaping the benefits of their success, and it screws over the vast majority of the residents. But when it happens with a country, you can't just move out. You have to claim some land as your own.

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17369 on: June 05, 2015, 05:25:24 pm »

I think Ispil is arguing that if the King of Aragon was Catalan, then there was a Catalan-ruled state that would give Catalan nationalists/separatists more legitimacy.

I will say, this seems like it could be one of those times where separatism is pretty bad. If I'm interpreting the current day Catalan situation correctly and they're one of the richest parts of Spain, it has some parallels to situations that happen in cities in the US. People get rich off the business the city brings, then the rich people move just outside the city limits and set up their own fancy little town. They stop paying taxes to the city so everyone else stops reaping the benefits of their success, and it screws over the vast majority of the residents. But when it happens with a country, you can't just move out. You have to claim some land as your own.
Pretty accurate. This is mostly about money.

She did not inherit the County of Barcelona, ever. I don't know where the hell you're getting that, but it's completely false.
In 1162 Ramon de Berenguer died, so he was not the Count.
In 1164 Alfonso II inherited the County.
And who was the Count of Barcelona between 1162 and 1164? Petronila.

Alfonso II is not related by patrilineal blood to Ramiro II. He is therefore not the by-blood Yes, and he ruled the County of Barcelona for 2 years before after he inherited it from his Father, who is Catalan. He took the name of Aragon as his house because his father did as requirement of his marriage to Petronila, which is what I linked to. By blood, though, he is still of the House of Barcelona. His mother was Aragonese, and his father was Catalan. How the hell does inheriting his mother's kingdom suddenly make him Aragonese if he also inherited his father's county which somehow doesn't make him Catalan? That's nationalist logic right there.
His mother was Petronila of Aragon, borned in Aragon, doughter of the King of Aragon and of Agnčs de Poitiers (French). She was not Catalan at all. You do not get tired of inventing everything you say or you just copy it from somewhere else?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:29:14 pm by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"
Pages: 1 ... 1156 1157 [1158] 1159 1160 ... 1393