Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758712 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13080 on: November 22, 2014, 10:35:48 am »

Well I was thinking to flame a little, but after reading that, I think I should go and do something productive instead.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: November 22, 2014, 11:01:56 am »

Russia is bad, but modern Russia is still orders of magnitude better than the USSR. For starters, while the USSR was in the grip of a ideology in whose name millions were killed or deported, modern Russia simply don't care as long as those at the top makes money and keep the power.
Yeah, Exactly what I mean. The West sees Russia as a corrupt autocratic  country without any inhumane ideology. I think that it is plain wrong. But there are no point to argue
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: November 22, 2014, 11:21:24 am »

And what would be that ideology?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13083 on: November 22, 2014, 11:22:35 am »

Well, I'm sure everyone West of Moscow would love it if Putin was overthrown and replaced by someone less invady, but to say that it's the goal of the sanctions is stupid. You don't overthrow a government by banning a dozen officials from travelling abroad.
I think the idea chain which leads from sanctions to regime change is: sanctions crash the Russian economy, then Hodorkovsky and other opposition forces organize a Maidan in Moscow and overthrow the government.
Actually most intelligent people in the West are afraid of Putin being removed right now - because whoever comes after him won't be better, that's for sure. Claiming the West wants a regime change is pure propaganda.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: November 22, 2014, 11:25:35 am »

Well, I'm sure everyone West of Moscow would love it if Putin was overthrown and replaced by someone less invady, but to say that it's the goal of the sanctions is stupid. You don't overthrow a government by banning a dozen officials from travelling abroad.
I think the idea chain which leads from sanctions to regime change is: sanctions crash the Russian economy, then Hodorkovsky and other opposition forces organize a Maidan in Moscow and overthrow the government.
Actually most intelligent people in the West are afraid of Putin being removed right now - because whoever comes after him won't be better, that's for sure. Claiming the West wants a regime change is pure propaganda.
What if it was Hodorkovsky? He said recently that he wouldn't refuse to be the President of Russia.
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13085 on: November 22, 2014, 11:28:12 am »

The West wants a regime change in Russia, however it wants to put someone loyal to them in charge, someone like Yeltsin. As Sergarr said, Khodorkovsky is a potential candidate for that role.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:31:30 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: November 22, 2014, 11:32:20 am »

Well, someone who do not invade its neighbors would be nice enough.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: November 22, 2014, 11:34:11 am »

And what would be that ideology?
It has no defined name.

Something like:  Revanchist imperialism + extreme collectivism  + xenophobia

Quote from:  Helgoland

I think that it is 100% true. Furthermore I have little to no doubts that next ruler of Russia will be even more radical and cruel than Putin, because that is what Russians want. That or a civil war were minority of Russians will win in a war against majority.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: November 22, 2014, 11:36:43 am »

... I'm pretty sure the west's general population, at the least, wouldn't care who was in charge so long as they stop invading other countries. That's all that's actually wanted, y'know? I guess they'd be supportive of a regime change to someone more sympathetic to western countries if that's what it took, but I'm pretty sure just about anyone would be fine so long as they'd knock the latest round of belligerent monkeying about off.

And yes, something something the other countries do it to and we'd also really bloody like them to stop, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: November 22, 2014, 11:39:47 am »

Well, someone who do not invade its neighbors would be nice enough.
Even that person would surely try to undermine American hegemony. That's why the West needs Yeltsin №2 - someone who'll be loyal, who'll give up all Russia's interests and who'll lead it towards certain doom.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: November 22, 2014, 11:40:19 am »

... I'm pretty sure the west's general population, at the least, wouldn't care who was in charge so long as they stop invading other countries. That's all that's actually wanted, y'know? I guess they'd be supportive of a regime change to someone more sympathetic to western countries if that's what it took, but I'm pretty sure just about anyone would be fine so long as they'd knock the latest round of belligerent monkeying about off.

And yes, something something the other countries do it to and we'd also really bloody like them to stop, too.
What about alliances invading other countries? Because NATO, Libya, you know the stuff.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: November 22, 2014, 11:44:10 am »

The West doesn't need anything, we can do just fine without Russia. Sure, it would be nice for us to have a leader that cooperate with us, but in that sense, every country wants a regime change in every other country.

Sergarr: Yup, you got us. We totally turned Tripoli into a suburbs of Washington.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13092 on: November 22, 2014, 11:46:22 am »

Once again: Russia voted for the Libya resolution, so that's a bad example.
What if it was Hodorkovsky? He said recently that he wouldn't refuse to be the President of Russia.
Is the West responsible for every dumb thing every Russian emigrant says? Khodorkovsky talking shit doesn't mean anything.
And GI, you're ignoring the rather good image Putin had before this current crisis. We liked him, you know?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13093 on: November 22, 2014, 11:47:14 am »

Germans might, I didn't. :p

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: November 22, 2014, 11:50:19 am »

Once again: Russia voted for the Libya resolution, so that's a bad example.
Is the West responsible for every dumb thing every Russian emigrant says? Khodorkovsky talking shit doesn't mean anything.
And GI, you're ignoring the rather good image Putin had before this current crisis. We liked him, you know?
I don't know about a single non-fringe English-speaker liking Putin.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1393