Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1758665 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #13065 on: November 22, 2014, 07:06:49 am »

Nicola Sturgeon has reshuffled the cabinet, creating the first 50/50 gender balanced cabinet in British history. The United Nations have commended Scotland for this apparently.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13067 on: November 22, 2014, 09:08:37 am »

Our government has finally realized what other people have been saying since the February. Hallelujah!
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13068 on: November 22, 2014, 09:14:03 am »

Our government has finally realized what other people have been saying since the February. Hallelujah!

Which would be what exactly?

Attempting to overthrow Putin isn't the goal and nobody has said anything to that affect, to my knowledge. Obama hasn't anyway.

There probably are some people who would like Putin to just resign, but some people =/= the entire west.

Oh, Ukrainian thread is closed. Good, I have a legitimate reason to ignore it.

We have Holodomor Remembrance Day in Ukraine today. Good reminder of what will happen again should we, Ukrainians, lose war to Russia

Didn't Russia (and some other soviet sattelites) go through that famine period as well? From what I've heard anyway. Though I hadn't heard of the word 'holodomor' until fairly recently (actually several months ago when some people thought it was funny to do holodomor ukraine in polandball comic), so, other than a period of famine, I'm pretty ignorant as to what happened then.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:18:46 am by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13069 on: November 22, 2014, 09:17:37 am »

Well, I'm sure everyone West of Moscow would love it if Putin was overthrown and replaced by someone less invady, but to say that it's the goal of the sanctions is stupid. You don't overthrow a government by banning a dozen officials from travelling abroad.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13070 on: November 22, 2014, 09:24:15 am »

Didn't Russia (and some other soviet sattelites) go through that famine period as well?

The famine didn't hit all parts of the Soviet Union the same.  Some soviets were more equal then others.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13071 on: November 22, 2014, 09:29:54 am »

Didn't Russia (and some other soviet sattelites) go through that famine period as well? From what I've heard anyway. Though I hadn't heard of the word 'holodomor' until fairly recently (actually several months ago when some people thought it was funny to do holodomor ukraine in polandball comic), so, other than a period of famine, I'm pretty ignorant as to what happened then.

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13072 on: November 22, 2014, 09:40:26 am »

Well, the death tolls estimates varies a lot: about 6 to 8 millions, with 2-5 millions Ukrainians. Whether the famine targeted Ukrainians as an ethnic group or not is still open to debate. But it's not like Russia would do such a thing again, that's UR being hyperbolic again.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13073 on: November 22, 2014, 09:42:55 am »

Well, I'm sure everyone West of Moscow would love it if Putin was overthrown and replaced by someone less invady, but to say that it's the goal of the sanctions is stupid. You don't overthrow a government by banning a dozen officials from travelling abroad.
I think the idea chain which leads from sanctions to regime change is: sanctions crash the Russian economy, then Hodorkovsky and other opposition forces organize a Maidan in Moscow and overthrow the government.
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13074 on: November 22, 2014, 09:56:15 am »

I think the idea chain which leads from sanctions to regime change is: sanctions crash the Russian economy, then Hodorkovsky and other opposition forces organize a Maidan in Moscow and overthrow the government.

Of course, that's one endgame. But by far not the only endgame. Especially since 'the devil you know' factor is at play.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #13075 on: November 22, 2014, 10:00:39 am »

Every time I read someone referring to 'the devil you know', it makes me think of a nobleman condescendingly putting someone down - 'The devil do you know?'

This has been an interlude brought to you by Arx Inc. We now return you to your regularly scheduled caeful edging around firey pits.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13076 on: November 22, 2014, 10:03:23 am »

Yep, copies ethnic map of Ukrainians... Areas were Ukrainian lived before 1933. Kuban was hit hard because goal of clearing Russia from Ukrainians was more important than clearing Ukraine from Ukrainians.  Of cause Russians are  not Germans. They never cared about own people, so if village had 50% Ukrainians, 50% Russians that changed nothing.

Note how Crimea. That was more or less a desert back then, avoided famine.  Think why

Well, the death tolls estimates varies a lot: about 6 to 8 millions, with 2-5 millions Ukrainians. Whether the famine targeted Ukrainians as an ethnic group or not is still open to debate. But it's not like Russia would do such a thing again, that's UR being hyperbolic again.
Not at all. If Ukraine would be at war with Germany I would be sure that I will be not sent to concentration camp like my grandfather. Because in Modern Germany Hitler, Nazi Party and ideology are recognized as criminal. And they do not tell me that Sachsenhausen never existed or "It was just a labor camp"  "Hey, Germans were there, too!"

In Russia Stalin and Communist party are ranging from "not that bad" to role models. Russians tell me that Holodomor never happened, that was a natural famine and "More Russians than Ukrainians died because of that famine"

In fact, it makes me depressed that you, Sheb (together with millions of other "Westerners ") Fail to understand what modern Russia is. Humanity will pay a huge price because of that.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13077 on: November 22, 2014, 10:07:11 am »

Russia is bad, but modern Russia is still orders of magnitude better than the USSR. For starters, while the USSR was in the grip of a ideology in whose name millions were killed or deported, modern Russia simply don't care as long as those at the top makes money and keep the power.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13078 on: November 22, 2014, 10:09:05 am »

MAAAAAYBE we should change topic? Don't want this to de-evolve into flaming....

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13079 on: November 22, 2014, 10:10:07 am »

I'll lock the thread if it gets to flamey.

Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 1393