Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1756717 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11760 on: October 10, 2014, 12:44:01 am »

I thought it was Colorado beetles?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11761 on: October 10, 2014, 01:47:40 am »

In fact, in 1941 almost ideal solution happened. Two main evils of the world started the war. Unfortunately world decided to support one of evils. Calmly waiting till one of empires lost and striking would be better way to handle that war

Which evil would that be? Japan and Germany? Russia wasn't the one who went 'Oh hey, lets conquer Poland today!'

Are you actually serious writing that? Even forgetting about 1920, when Russia totally did just that (and got kicked in the balls for that, incidentally), it did the same in 1939 signing Ribbentrop - Molotov pact with its secret protocol, which divided Poland among the Germans and Russians, as mentioned before. Also, it decided to take a bite out of Finland and invade the Baltics in the meantime, also mentioned before. And Stalin was planning world-wide revolution, so conquering not only Poland, but rest of the world too. In general, yeah, Russia was the very real evil back then, and remained it for a long time. It was even responsible for _multiple_ genocides and various crimes against humanity!

Completely unrelated note:

Pressure on our prime minister regarding war reparations from Germany is rising. Which may or may not have anything to do with her being unable to wrap her head around the concept of saluting soldiers yesterday.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11762 on: October 10, 2014, 01:59:46 am »

war reparations from Germany
I didn't knew somebody defeated Germany recently.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11763 on: October 10, 2014, 02:20:15 am »

WTI oil $84.3 per barrel
Brent oil $88.9 per barrel

Year of prices no higher than that. Please :)

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11764 on: October 10, 2014, 02:51:28 am »

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11765 on: October 10, 2014, 04:01:04 am »

Are you actually serious writing that? Even forgetting about 1920, when Russia totally did just that (and got kicked in the balls for that, incidentally)

To be honest, 1920 started when Poland saw Russia was torn apart by the civil war and decided to expand its border. Hardly a case of naked soviet aggression.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11766 on: October 10, 2014, 04:11:28 am »

Are you actually serious writing that? Even forgetting about 1920, when Russia totally did just that (and got kicked in the balls for that, incidentally)

To be honest, 1920 started when Poland saw Russia was torn apart by the civil war and decided to expand its border. Hardly a case of naked soviet aggression.

You mean, when Russia decided to expand its border. Poland decided to strike before Russian offensive begun, to make use of surprise factor. Not to mention that we have never moved out of the borders from the 18th century, when Poland was partitioned by Russia, so... Yeah. It was totally a case of Soviet aggression.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11767 on: October 10, 2014, 04:16:50 am »

So it's a case of Soviet Aggression because they forced you to attack them?

Also, the argument that you never moved out of your 18th century border is dumb, after all Russia never moved out of its late-20th century border by attacking Ukraine.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11768 on: October 10, 2014, 04:20:57 am »

Actually, this.
Pilsudski intended to rebuild the Rzeczpospolita in its 1772 borders. He wasn't a peace-loving non-imperialist politician at all.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11769 on: October 10, 2014, 04:36:37 am »

Yeah. 1920s Poland was very far from being white and fluffy.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11770 on: October 10, 2014, 05:10:03 am »

So we have a new government in Belgium. I could (and should) go on a rant about it, but I'm feeling too deppressed right now. However, I have a question for our Flemish members: there is a lot of noise in Wallonia about Jan Jambon's links to former flemish volunteer of the SS (He's our future interior minister BTW). Is the status of those volunteer in Flanders similar to the status of the UPA in Ukraine, where they are seen as heros by Ukrainian while the rest of the world by and large see them as Nazis? What do you make of the NVA's links to the far-right in general?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11771 on: October 10, 2014, 05:14:01 am »

I think comparing Waffen SS and UPA is plain wrong.

Comparing Flemish division to Ukrainian Waffen SS division is much more fair

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11772 on: October 10, 2014, 05:17:19 am »

I'm not comparing Flemish SS to UPA as much as comparing the perception of Flemish SS and UPA.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11773 on: October 10, 2014, 05:17:35 am »

And actually, BOTH USSR and Germany decided to 'hey let's conquer Poland today' - they divided it in secret way before the German invasion as a part of a secret protocol to the Ribbentrop-Molotov pact. And USSR invaded eastern Poland just two weeks after Germans did, and they didn't fight until much later.
Although that was Stalin stalling Germany's invasion so they could get their industry geared for war and start training more soldiers, really.

The non-aggression part, yes. The part where they took a sovereign country apart and murdered most of its soldiers they captured, not so much.

I think comparing Waffen SS and UPA is plain wrong.

Comparing Flemish division to Ukrainian Waffen SS division is much more fair

Perhaps, but they (UPA, this is) did some very unsavory things nonetheless. And some villagers murdered wholesale would... actually wouldn't disagree with you, but that's only because they have decomposed already.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11774 on: October 10, 2014, 05:20:18 am »

So we have a new government in Belgium. I could (and should) go on a rant about it, but I'm feeling too deppressed right now. However, I have a question for our Flemish members: there is a lot of noise in Wallonia about Jan Jambon's links to former flemish volunteer of the SS (He's our future interior minister BTW). Is the status of those volunteer in Flanders similar to the status of the UPA in Ukraine, where they are seen as heros by Ukrainian while the rest of the world by and large see them as Nazis? What do you make of the NVA's links to the far-right in general?
Honestly, I'm pretty sure there's no perception of that at all, because nobody knows. Flemish media apparently doesn't bother digging up dirt on various politicians.
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 1393