Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1756619 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11700 on: October 08, 2014, 03:18:55 am »

What about Belgium prison system?

What about it?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11701 on: October 08, 2014, 03:22:41 am »

What about Belgium prison system?
What about it?
Critically overcrowded, especially for people with psychological issues.

Combine that with the fact that people considered insane can be forcibly interned without trial, and that psychological people can request euthanasia, and the system has potential for distopic situations.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29209459

Note, the BBC says he has a life sentence, but IIRC, he doesn't. He is forcibly interned because he has psychological issues, which means he can be kept indefinitively without trial, untill he is cured.

Note that the reason is not that he's suffering from an uncureable psychological disease, but because the imprissonement is causing him unbearable psychological suffering.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:34:41 am by 10ebbor10 »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11702 on: October 08, 2014, 03:31:46 am »

It's extremely bad and I really hope that we improve that situation quickly, but it's much, much better, for the criminals at least, than other prisons systems relevant to the discussion such as the American one, or the Russian one.

Note, the BBC says he has a life sentence, but IIRC, he doesn't. He is forcibly interned because he has psychological issues, which means he can be kept indefinitively without trial, untill he is cured.

Yeah after being judged and convicted for multiple rapes and a rape murder. I just wish that we have a true life sentence for the cases where they aren't clinically insane.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:35:42 am by Phmcw »

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: October 08, 2014, 03:47:43 am »

You don't have life sentences in Belgium? We do have them in the Netherlands, although barely anyone seems to know that.

The last time someone actually died in prison due to that was in 1934 though, as royal grace is the norm (and the only thing keeping it legal according to European Law).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:49:35 am by Dutchling »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11704 on: October 08, 2014, 03:55:02 am »

We don't, our prison are overcrowded and over 40% of prisoners are foreigners. Because of overcrowding, prisoners with prison sentences of less than 4 month don't go in prison, and Judge tend to be extremely lenient.

The situation of the justicesystem is pretty bad, basically. It need money, and lot of it.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: October 08, 2014, 03:57:11 am »

Speaking about sentences. One Belarussian guy fought on Russian side against "Ukrainian nazies", returned home.  And got a very real chance of death sentence for his "heroism".

Link in Russian
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11706 on: October 08, 2014, 04:08:09 am »

We don't, our prison are overcrowded and over 40% of prisoners are foreigners. Because of overcrowding, prisoners with prison sentences of less than 4 month don't go in prison, and Judge tend to be extremely lenient.

The situation of the justicesystem is pretty bad, basically. It need money, and lot of it.
Pretty sure we do have life imprisonment. It includes loads of options for parole though, which means that it is rarely/never  indefinite.

Dutroux got it, as an example.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: October 08, 2014, 04:27:13 am »

It's not technically life imprisonment. Basically, he got a very long sentence (but not life), but the government has the option to keep him in jail after his sentence if he's judged safe. This option is given by the judge during the trial IIRC.

However, since no government ever will let Dutroux goes, he's pretty much sure to get a life sentence, yes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11708 on: October 08, 2014, 04:38:03 am »

Speaking about sentences. One Belarussian guy fought on Russian side against "Ukrainian nazies", returned home.  And got a very real chance of death sentence for his "heroism".

Link in Russian
The same thing awaits people who fight on the side of Ukraine. Something something neutrality, something something mercenarism.

A lot of them won't have to deal with our state security: I've heard rumours that most of the radical nationalist squad fighting on the Ukrainian side perished back in August. Belarusian opposition sources deny it, though.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: October 08, 2014, 11:44:21 am »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/11143864/Despair-and-euphoria-in-Crimea-six-months-after-Russian-annexation.html

On October 6 there were fears the campaign was turning violent after the body of a young Tatar man abducted last month was found dumped at an abandoned holiday camp in the coastal city of Yevpatoriya. Another 17 Tatars are said to have gone missing since the Russian takeover.

In April and July, Russian prosecutors dealt the heaviest blows; slapping five-year bans on the Tatars’ two most important leaders, Mustafa Dzhemilev and Refat Chubarov, preventing them from re-entering Crimea after they visited Ukraine - a banishment with painful echoes of the 1944 exile, in which tens of thousands perished or lost contact with their relatives.

Then, in May, Crimean authorities announced a temporary ban on demonstrations and fenced off central Simferopol in an attempt to prevent the Tatars marking the anniversary of the deportation. The community defied the ban and met on the edge of the city. In September, the campaign peaked with a raid on the Mejlis, the Tatars’ self-governing council in the Crimean capital, Simferopol. Men in masks with automatic weapons guarded the building as it was searched, officially in connection with protests at the border when Mr Dzhemilev was refused entry. Russia’s foreign ministry said extremist literature, computer hard discs and a firearm had been confiscated, and the council was ejected from the building. Mr Dzhemilev called it a “robbery”. The raid came two days after the Mejlis had urged Crimeans not to vote in September 14 local elections that were dominated by the slavishly pro-Kremlin United Russia party.

Mr Umerov, a former deputy speaker of Crimea’s parliament who resigned as head of the Bakhchysaray regional administration after Russian grabbed the peninsula, is convinced such measures are designed to bend the Tatars to Moscow’s will. “First they prevent us from freely marking our genocide, our Holocaust,” he told the Telegraph. “Second, they exlude our leaders. Third, they attack us with these gun-toting search teams and shut down the Mejlis. This is nothing less than a campaign of terror.”

Sergei Aksenov, the de facto acting head of Crimea, appeared to admit the measures were designed to stifle free speech when asked about the Tatars’ plight in a recent magazine interview. “All activities aimed at non-recognition of Crimea’s joining to Russia and non-recognition of the leadership of the country will face prosecution under the law and we will take a very tough stance on this,” he said.

Welcome to the new USSR, same as the old one
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11710 on: October 08, 2014, 12:17:51 pm »

Yes, Crimean Tatars are in a bad, bad situation

BTW, Pro-Russian Crimeans are not that happy. They were promised that in Russia their quality of life will rise tenfold. Real life is not as good as Russian propaganda.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11711 on: October 08, 2014, 12:29:47 pm »

They certainly don't want to return to Ukraine, though. No one wants to have their cities end up like Donetzk.

And compared to Palestinians in Gaza, the Crimean Tatars are in a good, good situation.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: October 08, 2014, 12:44:23 pm »

Russia tries to push Crimean Tatars out by an outright terror. And it will intensify should Crimean Tatars not run from their land.

Putin hopes for a soft genocide, should that fail he will go for a hard version

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11713 on: October 08, 2014, 12:45:25 pm »

They certainly don't want to return to Ukraine, though. No one wants to have their cities end up like Donetzk.

You mean have combatants show up and engage the nation's military and use the cities as bases of operations, while demanding a de facto integration into a foreign power?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11714 on: October 08, 2014, 12:57:46 pm »

I think he means they dont want to have the Russian government interfering in their affairs.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 1393