Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752008 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10350 on: September 06, 2014, 03:13:52 pm »

Isn't it the common knowledge that Churchill wanted to strengthen Germany (hence the Munich deal and the Phoney War), so that it will fight the Communists? Hitler would have attacked Poland anyway, since he was at that moment sure that UK would not intervene.
Churchill was one of the staunchest advocates towards rearming Britain, reintroducing an early conscription in Britain and confronting Hitler as soon as possible; instead of trying to appease Hitler, Churchill insisted on a hard confrontation with the fascists. Most didn't believe him when he made such claims against Germany as the more liberal parts of the government believed that trying to militiarize the British Empire would be more likely to plunge the world into unnecessary war and that peace could be made diplomatically. It's easy to condemn Chamberlain and all the MPs who ensured that not only did Britain not face Germany with haste, and that when it did it was unprepared, but hindsight's a bitch and this was all after "the war to end all wars." There was also a strong disarmament movement that promoted unilateral disarmament on the basis that no one would wish to go to war because of mutual assured destruction of a sorts, because bombers were shiny new weapons of destruction which ensured no one would emerge unscathed in the event of armed conflict and that by actively trying to arm one's self to the brim they would be just more likely to start a war.

In any case, no it's not common knowledge and where did you get that idea from?
Quote from: Churchill 1930s
From one end of Germany to the other an intense hatred of France unites the whole population. The enormous contingents of German youth growing to military manhood year by year are inspired by the fiercest sentiments, and the soul of Germany smoulders with dreams of a War of Liberation or Revenge. These ideas are restrained at the present moment only by physical impotence.
The only thing about Churchill wanting to work with Germany to fight communists is after WWII, where Churchill made plans to use the fragments of the Wermacht to lead an allied invasion of the USSR to end communism and retake Europe, at which point fascism had already lost the race to the modern world and it was just liberalism vs communism.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:16:40 pm by Loud Whispers »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: September 06, 2014, 03:28:22 pm »

Isn't it the common knowledge that Churchill wanted to strengthen Germany (hence the Munich deal and the Phoney War), so that it will fight the Communists? Hitler would have attacked Poland anyway, since he was at that moment sure that UK would not intervene.

Oh yes, I forgot you are a conspiracy theorist.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: September 06, 2014, 03:47:41 pm »

Russians... I mean Pro-Russian rebels that got heavy artillery with unlimited ammo violated ceasefire and shelling outskirts of Mariupol right now. So surprising
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: September 06, 2014, 04:08:57 pm »

I am not a conspiracy theorist because this was not a conspiracy

it was just a dumb attempt by UK to form an anti-communism power in the Eastern Europe which has backfired horribly on them.

I probably made a mistake though in attributing it to Churchill, though.

Also, a volcano in Iceland is erupting. Will probably result in a colder winter for Europe.
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: September 06, 2014, 04:10:10 pm »

it was just a dumb attempt by UK to form an anti-communism power in the Eastern Europe which has backfired horribly on them.

I probably made a mistake though in attributing it to Churchill, though.

Also, a volcano in Iceland is erupting. Will probably result in a colder winter for Europe, hehehe.

YES. PLEASE. Last winter can be summed up as 'four-month-long November'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: September 06, 2014, 04:11:45 pm »

Yeah, last winter was basically the same for us folks in Russia.

We didn't even had snow for almost half of the winter!
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: September 06, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »

Yeah, last winter was basically the same for us folks in Russia.

We didn't even had snow for almost half of the winter!

Of course, it is Russia you're talking about, but over here, in basically the mountains (well, a valley, which might sorta explain that) there was no snow, period. I mean permanent snow, the most was, IIRC, like three days.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: September 06, 2014, 04:31:02 pm »

Oh wow the conspiracy theorist thinks the conspiracy theory is true.  What a surprise.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: September 06, 2014, 04:33:43 pm »

The whole West is united against Russia. That is a number one conspiracy theory. All others are true if they can be used to "prove" the base theory
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: September 06, 2014, 04:51:34 pm »

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: September 06, 2014, 05:09:19 pm »

To many funny posts here above about russian politics and who will invade who witch are very funny and really looks like people dont understand what is happening in the world around them.

Russia could invaded east ukraine in first days with the crimea crisis (and that was best time to do it and it would happen if that was the main goal), but they did not, because it is not in their interest. They supplied the rebels and helped them, but they did not act directly (not counting crimea) until ukraine forces starter to win over them. Than  they send soldiers in ukraine to help rebels push back ukraine forces, so they can win a  ceasefire. You would not see a ceasefire if it was not in russian interest, especially as they where on offensive .  Russian interests is actually that lugansk and donetsk  stay in ukraine, but probably in some type of federation state. The reason for that is mainly because they lost the pro russian pupet president to west pupet one, and are now trying still to have some influence in the region (ukraine).

So, I think the worst has past. Even if there will maybe be some small fighting as there are a lot of paramilitary formations on both side in ukraine now, nothing bigger will happen.
Make love not war

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: September 06, 2014, 05:17:07 pm »

Oh wow the conspiracy theorist thinks the conspiracy theory is true.  What a surprise.
How do you explain Munich thingie then

I mean, if you have a decent explanation why the main powers of Europe have decided to appease a dictator of country which has started the previous world war and has already broken its peace agreement, I'm going to accept it.
apparently the WW1 has scared the Europe into extreme pacifism.

EDIT: Also, Owlbread should be very happy with these recent polls.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:24:25 pm by Sergarr »
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: September 06, 2014, 05:20:28 pm »

I mean, if you have a decent explanation why the main powers of Europe have decided to appease a dictator of country which has started the previous world war and has already broken its peace agreement, I'm going to accept it.

Simple. Everyone and their dog, aside from the countries which felt fucked over after WWI, was pissing their collective pants at so much as a mention of having another war.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: September 06, 2014, 05:23:41 pm »

Simple. Everyone and their dog, aside from the countries which felt fucked over after WWI, was pissing their collective pants at so much as a mention of having another war.
That sounds reasonable.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: September 06, 2014, 05:26:49 pm »

A conspiracy theorist posits a theory and then asks people to disprove it.  Once the individual point has been addressed, another point will be raised or the point will be changed in a never ending process because the key point of a conspiracy theory is that it is not falsifiable.

An actual historian investigates until a clear picture emerges.  If only one explanation is considered relative plausible they will state with some confidence that is their conclusion.  If many explanations is possible they will make a limited conclusion.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 1393