Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751838 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #10335 on: September 06, 2014, 08:30:45 am »

I doubt there will be an outright invasion of baltic states.

We might, however, see attempts at inciting a Russia-supported rebellion in some parts of their countries where the percentage of Russian-speaking people is the most high.
._.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: September 06, 2014, 08:51:57 am »

I doubt there will be an outright invasion of baltic states.

We might, however, see attempts at inciting a Russia-supported rebellion in some parts of their countries where the percentage of Russian-speaking people is the most high.
nope that won't happen either. first baltic states watch their russian border I believe and can make sure no weapons or potential organizers come from Russia. Much unlike Ukraine, where all kinds of military or paramilitary forces were totally wrecked and likely infiltrated by russia. Second putin has no reason to attack them. He had that reason with ukraine and it wasn't concerns over russian-speaking populace or plans to revive the russian empire, it was his firm belief that it was USA staged a coup in ukraine to encroach upon his geopolitical ground. That's how euromaidan events are portrayed here in the news and that's likely the image in his mind. So, in Putin's head, he's not the agressor, he's retaliating against US agression and defending his sphere of interest in Ukraine, same as it was in Georgia.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: September 06, 2014, 09:41:24 am »

Putin's goal is to recreate USSR. Assuming anything else is an illusion

What can you expect from a guy who said that dissolution of USSR is the worst catastrophe of 20th century?

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: September 06, 2014, 10:03:01 am »

What can you expect from a guy who said that dissolution of USSR is the worst catastrophe of 20th century?

consider trying to name one thing that was worse for russians than the dissolution

or soviets, as you prefer to call them

it does make sense in context y'know

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: September 06, 2014, 10:03:15 am »

Putin's goal is to recreate USSR. Assuming anything else is an illusion

That, or he is a CIA agent recruited to completely devastate the Russian economy in the long run.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: September 06, 2014, 10:09:00 am »

consider trying to name one thing that was worse for russians than the dissolution

For Russians? In 20th century? Civil war, 1930s repressions, WW2

But you are right, for Soviets there are nothing more important than maintaining and  expanding the Empire. So losing territory is the worst event
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: September 06, 2014, 10:53:35 am »

WW2 was worse. Civil war, too.
._.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: September 06, 2014, 11:20:27 am »

Long term, the revolutions that put the Bolsheviks in power certainly excluded any peace for Russia.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: September 06, 2014, 11:49:58 am »

Long term, the revolutions that put the Bolsheviks in power certainly excluded any peace for Russia.

I'd put that point a little later when Stalin took control.  Sure Lenin was no saint but no one emerges from a revolution like that with their hands clean.  It's when the power slipped away from Lenin to Stalin that things got really ugly.  If Lenin had lived another 20 years I think the Soviets would have been a more open society and been on better terms with the Poles and French.  In those circumstances, it's much easier to see German ultra-nationalism contained by disparity of military power and no iron curtain or cold war.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: September 06, 2014, 12:13:12 pm »

I'd put that point a little later when Stalin took control.  Sure Lenin was no saint but no one emerges from a revolution like that with their hands clean.  It's when the power slipped away from Lenin to Stalin that things got really ugly.  If Lenin had lived another 20 years I think the Soviets would have been a more open society and been on better terms with the Poles and French.  In those circumstances, it's much easier to see German ultra-nationalism contained by disparity of military power and no iron curtain or cold war.
What.

Lenin wanted to incite a world-wide revolution. A total upheaval of every society on Earth. The Lenin didn't plan on making a communism in a single country, like Stalin did. He wanted a world-wide-revolution! That means he would have used all resources in Russia to fund and man revolts all other the world!

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Soviet_War notice the dates here and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Lenin
1920 for war and 1922 for Lenin dying. So war with Poland was under Lenin's rule. I doubt Poles would be friendly with a leader of a country who has just tried to re-conquer them with military force.
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: September 06, 2014, 12:20:36 pm »

Plus, Lenin might or might not have had syphilis which... not a good thing for human brain.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: September 06, 2014, 12:33:01 pm »

now Russia abducts EU citizens

How deep the concern will be?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: September 06, 2014, 12:57:47 pm »

Lenin wanted to incite a world-wide revolution. A total upheaval of every society on Earth. The Lenin didn't plan on making a communism in a single country, like Stalin did. He wanted a world-wide-revolution! That means he would have used all resources in Russia to fund and man revolts all other the world!

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Soviet_War notice the dates here and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Lenin
1920 for war and 1922 for Lenin dying. So war with Poland was under Lenin's rule. I doubt Poles would be friendly with a leader of a country who has just tried to re-conquer them with military force.

That was fresh on the heels of the soviet civil war.  This was a war over land that very, very recently had been part of the Russian state.  Lenin was a man of bloody times.  Stalin was a man who created bloody times.

And it's not like the Poles would particularly need to like the Soviets for Hitler to be checked.  They just need for the Russians to pragmatically avoid helping the Germans.  Stalin was very... unusual for striking a deal with Hitler.  If not for the Soviet alliance with the Germans it's pretty doubtful that Germany would have been willing to take on France and England and Poland alone.

And Lenin died in 1924 not 1922.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:02:32 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: September 06, 2014, 01:24:33 pm »

That was fresh on the heels of the soviet civil war.  This was a war over land that very, very recently had been part of the Russian state.  Lenin was a man of bloody times.  Stalin was a man who created bloody times.

And it's not like the Poles would particularly need to like the Soviets for Hitler to be checked.  They just need for the Russians to pragmatically avoid helping the Germans.  Stalin was very... unusual for striking a deal with Hitler.  If not for the Soviet alliance with the Germans it's pretty doubtful that Germany would have been willing to take on France and England and Poland alone.

And Lenin died in 1924 not 1922.
Isn't it the common knowledge that Churchill wanted to strengthen Germany (hence the Munich deal and the Phoney War), so that it will fight the Communists? Hitler would have attacked Poland anyway, since he was at that moment sure that UK would not intervene.

Also, Polish history of animosity with Russian people is very, very long (at least since 1612). I doubt they would suddenly forgot all of it.

Also, Lenin did die in 1924 but, if you've read the article, it says that he in 1923 has suffered a stroke that left him bed-ridden until his death.
._.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: September 06, 2014, 01:31:50 pm »

Not just churchill... many in the west were very afraid of the communist revolution spreading. Fascism seemed the lesser evil, at the time.
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 1393